Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fischer outlet in Verbier (RC4's?)...but..

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
OK, I'm probably trying to kill two birds with the same stone and branching across two forums but here goes...

Im planning to spend a lot more time on the slopes this year and have decided that its worth investing in some skis. The dilemma is what to choose and where to get them. (seems to be most peoples concern!). I'm lucky in that work have paid for me to ski quite a bit but it has all been on piste.. I'm a big fan of hooning about and carving but if I want to develop I know I will have to venture more off piste (I'm considering doing the BASI trainee bit next).
Last season I borrowed a mates Fischer RC4 SC's and thought that they were great but I'm guessing that with 65(?)mm underfoot they probably arent the best to take off the beaten track.

This led me to have a look at the Fischer AMC73 (or70) and the RX8 - these obviously have a bit more underfoot but is it enough?..or should I stop trying to compromise and buy two pairs! One for the hooning and another for the powder? Of course if thats the concensus then Mrs Pielot will have to let me buy two pairs!!(yeah right..where's the hire shop!)

We're going to verbier 10th dec so I wondered if anyone knew of a decent shop there who might help me try/buy.

any help or advice grealy appreciated.

Thanks
Martin.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pielot, or Martin, welcome to Snowheads.

Not sure who the Fischer stockists are, but a look at websites and a few phone calls to the following will help. Try No1, Extreme Sports, Ski Service, Oreiller Sports, Danny Sports, or Phillipe Roux and you've covered the big ski hire shops in Verbier.

I'm out that weekend as well, so let's both start praying that the weather turns colder soon!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There aren't many Fischer skis in Verbier. I've only ever seen a couple of pairs of their 'big stix' range in Philippe Roux, actually it might be another shop but this one can't be missed: they have a shop right on place central on the Rue de Poste, across the road from the UBS.

I never really look (OK I look but never concentrate) in the section of the rack that the RC4s et al live in but I'm quite sure that you'll have a nightmare trying to find them in Verbier. If it's different this year then it's the first in 3 winters.

For a similar ski try the Stockli range. Fischer are built for 'big' germans and the Stocklis for their Swiss cousins. I'm not sure of the ins and outs of their entire range. I've skied the freeride skis and really like them.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
pielot, I ski Fischer World Cup slaloms and find them not too bad off piste. True, in variable snow they're a bit challenged (so am I), but in regular fresh snow to powder they're fine. They're very wide in the tip and are so stiff that they just cut through anything!! Bear in mind that the perfect compromise ski doesn't exist, although IMHO the Scott Aztec comes closest, but it's not an intermediate ski. Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks guys,

As if an excuse was needed, I think I now have the perfect excuse to buy the RC4's I wanted before I leave the UK. Then I just need to look at persuading the other half that I NEED another set for the powder days! Smile

Roll on the coldest european winter in 40 years!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I would argue that if you venture offpiste more than 10-20% of your day, then you'll be much happier on a pair of fatter skis.

Last winter I went on an offpiste holiday with five others. The snow wasn't very deep and I was skiing midfats with 74mm underfoot (though a bit short at 173 cm for my height of 5'11 and weight of 85kgs). I was struggling a little, sinking etc. On the third day I rented something a little wider (82mm) and the improvement was significant and immediate (the others said I look like a different skier).

On the last day it dumped and I rented Pocket Rockets (definitely not my first choice of powder ski but the only one available then&there). They're 90+ underfoot and they were fun in the light pow!

I'm now a convert to fatter skis (in fact I'm looking to buy something on the appropriate forum) - to complement my midfats mentioned above.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy