Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cheap Diesel in Calais for the drive down to the Alps, where is best ???

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
Money is a bit tight this year and I'm looking at ways to save a few quid
on the drive down to the Sainte Foy this coming March, we normally fill
up at the first fuel station that's immediately outside the Calais tunnel
terminal, then just fill up as and when needed on the toll roads (Than again
in Bourg St Maurice). It's all very quick and convenient but I imagine it
isn't the most cost effective solution.
With help from the search facility and fellow snowheads I have found a couple
of supermarket fuel stops just of the M way (Reims sud & Chamnord) but I can't
find one just off the tunnel.
Could someone help out and post a link/postcode/satnav co-ordinates or google maps
location of a convenient and cheap one near or in Calias.
How much is supermarket diesel in France at the moment?
Thanks

Phil
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

How much is supermarket diesel in France at the moment?

Hmm. I think it was about €1.32 a litre, some weeks ago. The best way to save fuel costs is knock 10 mph off your cruising speed. Driving 500 miles at 65 mph rather than 75 mph will only take an extra hour - and you could easily waste half that trailing round looking for the cheapest petrol.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You can also make useful savings, if headed towards Geneva, by taking the route across the Jura rather than sticking to the motorway. It's a decent road, good fuel economy, more interesting, save quite a bit on the tolls.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We generally wait till Carrefour at Reims which OH thinks is a good bet - you could always not completely fill if you have to go to a more expensive place and then wait till Reims. No loos, by the way at the petrol station there - upstairs at McDonalds next door or the supermarket itself - just if you have 'hanging on children' in the car.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
qwertyuiop7, there's a hypermarket in Cité de Europe with a petrol station, but although it's very close, it's a booger to get to with a drive through the multistorey car park. You go behind the Total garage at the tunnel exit, turn right, then go back on yourself at the roundabout. Pass the Ibis and Novotel, and look for the signs. We've stopped using it and just go to the on at the tunnel exit now as it is so tedious, and takes too long. Reims Sud is very convenient though. There's an Auchan close by too.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just checked that on michelin.com - the Jura route is the "michelin recommended" one. It's 40 miles shorter, takes about half an hour longer and saves €27 (mostly tolls, but also a bit on petrol). I find that although it takes a little longer, the journey goes so much more quickly, because it's more interesting, that it doesn't seem that way. I always go that way except at night or in very snowy weather.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Depending on your cars tank/economy fill right up at Tesco Ashford Jct 10 plus you don't have to stop as you get started in France, then next fill up at Chambery (proper alpine Diesel). Remember the price then slow down as you pass the Hypermarche at Albertville you can see the price from the motorway write it down (you WILL forget as the excitement mounts) and then check the price at Bourg Super U. One will be significantly cheaper. That's where to fill up on the way back
) Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Auchan just off the motorway at Dunkerque is the cheapest in the area I've found. If you're going past there then the automatic pumps also take english debit and credit cards quite happily.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Diesel €1.40/liter in Bourg this morning.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The best station for fuel is the self service Carrefour on the lower level car park in Cite Europe. Or look at this,

http://www.prix-carburants.gouv.fr/
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
For comparison, Total at Eurotunnel exit was €1.48/l today. Diesel.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We paid 1.34euros at Reims Leclerc (J23 Reims sud A4) for diesel at the end of Jan.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just out of interest, how much are the tolls these days, Calais to Bourg?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Markymark29, viamichelin.com is usually a reliable source but something's gone a bit funny this morning. And, as I said above, you save quite a bit of toll and fuel costs if you cross the Jura to Geneva, which is 40 miles shorter. 30 minutes longer but a heap less boring.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Carrefour at Chambery Nord is always cheap.......or the new Le Clerc at Reims Sud
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Markymark29, viamichelin.com is usually a reliable source but something's gone a bit funny this morning. And, as I said above, you save quite a bit of toll and fuel costs if you cross the Jura to Geneva, which is 40 miles shorter. 30 minutes longer but a heap less boring.

When we do Calais to Bourg st Maurice we don't normally go anywhere near Geneva, would the route thru the Jura still work if going to Bourg. What towns would you pass through, so I can put them in my sat nav to force it to go that way?
snow report
> Carrefour at Chambery Nord is always cheap

You may as well fill up at the Total garage right on the autoroute as it is the same price but a bit cleaner with a shop.

When you head into the mountains put some Exellium or such like in the tank to avoid freezing.
ski holidays
Quote:

would the route thru the Jura still work if going to Bourg

no, I don't think it would. It works for PdS, Chamonix, Megeve, etc.

To force that route, put in Poligny as a waypoint.
latest report
Nearer Dunkirk really but this Super U near Gravelines had by far the cheapest diesel on our 2 week jaunt thru France last summer:

http://www.superu-grandfortphilippe.com/
snow conditions
davidof wrote:
> Carrefour at Chambery Nord is always cheap

You may as well fill up at the Total garage right on the autoroute as it is the same price but a bit cleaner with a shop.

When you head into the mountains put some Exellium or such like in the tank to avoid freezing.

+1
ski holidays
Just back from France this evening. Cheapest diesel anywhere was 1.39 euros at various Auchans. It had gone up from our last trip at Christmas. We often use the Total in Calais (didn't this time) but filled at the Auchan in Bethune. Also used Auchan just outside Annecy. On the way out we were going to Switzerland so filled up in Luxembourg where it is cheaper. Almost no tolls on the way out as we went Begium, Luxembourg, Strasbourg, Switzerland (had to buy the Swiss vignette but it lasts a year). Looked at coming back from La Rosiere (just near Bourg) that way but according to Michelin it would take at least 2 hours more so not worth it.
Make sure you get the additive in the diesel as my son had his freeze earlier this winter when it was very cold.
latest report
Always use the Auchan in Coquelles myself, go out on fumes, brim it there, and brim it again before coming home.

Was 1.37 euro a couple of weeks back. As noted above the pay-at-pump pumps on the right take UK cards.

Only 5 mins from the Tunnel - as you exit the Tunnel, follow the Autoroute west (Boulogne), take the first exit, right, then right again (at the first roundabout with a tunnel borer on), through the 30km/h limit straight over a roundabout or two and the Auchan fuel station has an entrance road on the right (just after another roundabout with a tunnel borer on). Coming out, you can retrace the route, or continue East then right at the roundabout just after the Total garage then shortly join the Autoroute east.

Something like this...

Petrol Stations in Calais
latest report
f948lan, long links like the one you gave do rather screw up viewing on a lot of devices. An embedded link like this
Code:
[url=http://www.skiclub.co.uk/]admin's favourite snow site[/url]

gives admin's favourite snow site - nice and neat Smile
ski holidays
Quote:

The best way to save fuel costs is knock 10 mph off your cruising speed. Driving 500 miles at 65 mph rather than 75 mph will only take an extra hour - and you could easily waste half that trailing round looking for the cheapest petrol.

+1
On busy english motorways to the tunnel we get ~45mpg, once we are on the deserted French motorways (overnight) cruising at 80mph we are down to 35mpg.
Even with a 5p/cent variation in fuel price and a full 70 litre tank, thats only £3.50 saved on the tankful, your'e on holiday, don't get stressed about the odd few quid trying to find a cheap fuel stop, as said use the time saved to drive more slowly (easier said than done I know!!!)
latest report
tangowaggon, you must have a tiny tank. I suspect you need to times that figure by the gal/litre conversion rate.
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, when I was at School 70x5 was 350?
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, we don't all drive pantechnicons. My tank won't take 70 litres.
snow report
pam w, our X-trail doesn't either.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My little 4x4 has a 120l tank Embarassed
snow conditions
Boredsurfing, some little 4 x 4s need a big tank....
latest report
We're driving to Zermatt on Friday and intrigued by this Jura route that's been recommended - sounds better than the way we normally go (straight down to Geneva via Rheims, Troyes, Dijon, then turn east just above Lausanne) Could someone please provide some detail on the route as I only have a very vague idea of where to go and could do with some specifics!

Thanks!

snowHead
snow report
Tartanfairy, If I was driving to Zermatt then I wouldn't go over the Jura, I would go further east to Pontarlier then Lausanne.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy