Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help your Bootfitter.

Poster: A snowHead
Do you live in a house with stairs? Do you like skiing? Do you think your boots hurt?

Ok, when you go up the stairs, rest your foot on the lip of every other stair. Somewhere behind your Metatarsal Heads( just behind were your toes flex), now drop your heels down lower than the forefoot, hold yourself there and bounce very gentally. Try and get around 30-40 repeations like this a day. Do this all year, make it a habit. You should feel it pull a little at the back of your calf, where the Achilles meets the muscle or maybe, under the foot somewhere between the middle of the foot and the heel. Go gentally, if this is done too hard it could cause damage to your foot, but try it. Easy now! Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
SMALLZOOKEEPER,

Before I cause a major traffic jam on the stairs, could you tell me why I'm doing this please?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It helps to offer greater extension of the muscle/tendon structure we use whilst skiing/boarding. The whole month of Feburary is taken up by helping people with their boots, where as in reality this is the problem. Heel lifts help, but the problem resides in the bio-mechanics. Imagine, swimmers have the most problems, they contract the achilles to create an extension of the leg.(All but those whom choose the breast stroke that is). Twisted Evil
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
OK, with you so far, but what do people come in complaining of, boots feeling too tight, toes getting crushed, pressure over the instep?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
General numbness, boots too tight around the calf, pins and needles. It's just better if we can rule out this as a cause, that way we can locate the problem more quickly, deal with it and get you skiing in comfort. Better value holidays, yippee! Twisted Evil
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If I promise not to ski in February have comfortable boots and I promise not to go near Chamonix, please can i be excused the exercises on the stairs, I live in a bungalow and I think I might get strange looks wandering the streets in my boots looking for a staircase!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ford wrote:
If I promise not to ski in February have comfortable boots and I promise not to go near Chamonix, please can i be excused the exercises on the stairs, I live in a bungalow and I think I might get strange looks wandering the streets in my boots looking for a staircase!

Can't stop you getting stange looks, you live in a Bungalow! Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Can't stop you getting stange looks, you live in a Bungalow

What a rude young man. I certainly will avoid your shop at all costs and reccomend others too as well. No doubt your comments here will serve as a warning to others.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thank you, should you be that easily offended, you wouldn't last 5mins in the shop, nor any of your friends. Now should you wish to start over and bring something constructive to this thread, maybe you'll find some help on this Forum. Alternativley you could search out another chat room where your lack of wit and satire can be nurtured. Good Luck. Twisted Evil
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
SMALLZOOKEEPER,

Very Happy Toofy Grin Madeye-Smiley

wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
SMALLZOOKEEPER,

Quote:

hold yourself there and bounce very gentally. Try and get around 30-40 repeations like this a day. Do this all year, make it a habit. You should feel it pull a little at the back of your calf,

Thinking about this would skipping barefoot have a similar benefit (not across the dancefloor obviously.....)serious question though
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
szk - yup - fantastic exercise. calf raises may be boring but by god they can hurt when you push through the pain threshold. A more fun method is to frontpoint up huge gullies of neve hehehe
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I've been thinking for a while that when my boots hurt it's more likely due to my poor fitness than a problem with the boots.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SZK,

Is this designed to stretch the calf muscle or strengthen it?

My podiatrist urged me to avoid calf raises ("your calves are quite strong enough") but recommended plenty of stretching and I do stretch by "hanging" of steps with my heel below my toes. I'm just wondering whether the bouncing will tend to build calf muscle - which I coud do without - or whether its judt meant to help the muscle release.

Any thoughts?

J
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just a small note. Rather than "bounce" on the step, one should gradually lower then raise oneself. Bouncing has a tendency to cause ruptured achilles' tendons and calf strains.
latest report
Kramer wrote:
Just a small note. Rather than "bounce" on the step, one should gradually lower then raise oneself. Bouncing has a tendency to cause ruptured achilles' tendons and calf strains.

Thank's, i wasn't sure. I hoped i had stessed 'be gental', but then 'gental' is a little subjective.
Don't bounce, lower. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Kramer wrote:
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I've been thinking for a while that when my boots hurt it's more likely due to my poor fitness than a problem with the boots.

Rubbish, nothing to do with bootfitting!
That's natures way way of saying go to nearest restaurant and relax!
snow report
jedster wrote:
SZK,

Is this designed to stretch the calf muscle or strengthen it?

My podiatrist urged me to avoid calf raises ("your calves are quite strong enough") but recommended plenty of stretching and I do stretch by "hanging" of steps with my heel below my toes. I'm just wondering whether the bouncing will tend to build calf muscle - which I coud do without - or whether its judt meant to help the muscle release.

Any thoughts?

J

Yep. Mr S Z Keeper is asking us to stretch for flexability, not to add strength.

At least that's how I read it. snowHead
snow report
marc gledhill, So that's where I've being going wrong. My pain is all down to not flexing enough in the weeks before I go skiing. Nothing to do with being overweight or having a hangover from the night before! I bet you suffer from this as well eh Mr Gledhill?
ski holidays
Why do my toes feel like someone's tried to chop them off then?
snow report
Helen Beaumont wrote:
Why do my toes feel like someone's tried to chop them off then?

The problem is most commonly found in the calf, but it's the same motor that follows the Achillies undre the heel, between the heel and the Metatarsals and finally between the instep and the shin. Your problem is often found because of the same inflexability issue. Try lifting your toes up in the air and pushing your thumb in to your instep/arch. You'll find a tendon on the base of the foot that maybe the cause of the problem, ot could also be that your boots are to narrow or the foot needs support. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Ford wrote:,
Quote:

Laughing Laughing to right
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I tried this last night and ruptured my achilles tendon. After cuttting off my ski boot the paramedic fainted with the smell and fell through the side of our new conservatory crushing my prize pumkin. My solicitors shall be in touch.
latest report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Quote:

SMALLZOOKEEPER, I tried this last night and ruptured my achilles tendon. After cuttting off my ski boot the paramedic fainted with the smell and fell through the side of our new conservatory crushing my prize pumkin. My solicitors shall be in touch.

I am now suffering from post traumatic stress from reading the above. My solicitor will also be in touch.
ski holidays
Quote:

I'm hoping my inital post will help my defense. Can we settle this in another way? Maybe i could compensate your pumpkin loss, with the offer to provide you with my prize carrott. Surely this is interesting to you, a snowperson. Twisted Evil
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Its Snowman, you sandal wearing trendy leftie. Carrot for pumpkin Shocked What else are you offering, some flip flops for the ski boots. C'mon man get real. A weeks free top gear hire to go with my weeks free catered accomodation was more of what I had in mind.
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Its Snowman, you sandal wearing trendy leftie. Carrot for pumpkin Shocked What else are you offering, some flip flops for the ski boots. C'mon man get real. A weeks free top gear hire to go with my weeks free catered accomodation was more of what I had in mind.

No problems, i'll make you up a chair in front of the fire. Twisted Evil
latest report
Jack Hallam wrote:
marc gledhill, So that's where I've being going wrong. My pain is all down to not flexing enough in the weeks before I go skiing. Nothing to do with being overweight or having a hangover from the night before! I bet you suffer from this as well eh Mr Gledhill?

What, how dare you Sir!

I have never been overweight, drunk or hungover and will haul anyone saying otherwise to the highest court in the land. (err, you don't still have them photo's from my brothers stag do I suppose Embarassed ).

One more personal attack of that nature and you'll be hearing from my solicitor too!!

Ah, that'd be me then. snowHead
snow report
As a quick aside - a handy exercise I came up with for the front muscles around the shins - lay on your bed face down (no - this is not that type of exercise!!!) with your toes just poking flat over the bottom end of your mattress. Then pull your toes upwards squashing the mattress as much as you can and hold. Do sets until your shins feel on fire Twisted Evil
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
marc gledhill, Nope sorry, I lost the camera but John said he wants his tortoise back!
snow conditions
Jack Hallam, Laughing
latest report
Scarpa wrote:
As a quick aside - a handy exercise I came up with for the front muscles around the shins - lay on your bed face down (no - this is not that type of exercise!!!) with your toes just poking flat over the bottom end of your mattress. Then pull your toes upwards squashing the mattress as much as you can and hold. Do sets until your shins feel on fire Twisted Evil

This one's great too. Works the same motors. Twisted Evil
snow report
Quote:

General numbness, boots too tight around the calf, pins and needles. It's just better if we can rule out this as a cause, that way we can locate the problem more quickly, deal with it and get you skiing in comfort.

Ah yes, thanks SMALLZOOKEEPER for the reminder! I have a terrible habit of properly stretching hamstrings/quads and ignoring muscles below the knee....until the end of the morning on the first day of the season in my skiboots, of course Laughing
latest report
Ford, nature's way of telling me to go to the next restuarant is when the first one is out of sight.
snow report
Manda wrote:
Quote:

General numbness, boots too tight around the calf, pins and needles. It's just better if we can rule out this as a cause, that way we can locate the problem more quickly, deal with it and get you skiing in comfort.

Ah yes, thanks [b]SMALLZOOKEEPER for the reminder! I have a terrible habit of properly stretching hamstrings/quads and ignoring muscles below the knee....until the end of the morning on the first day of the season in my skiboots, of course :lol[/b]:

That trick of sliding one ski back ward whist resting on your poles works well too. Slide a leg back whist clipped into the ski and hold. This to helps see how much energy is required at a given temperature to flex your boots, it gets your shins ready for the resistance Twisted Evil
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER,

I keep falling off the stairs. Can I make the exercise a bit easier by taking my ski boots and ski googles off?
ski holidays
Bump.

Any thoughts on the usefulness of night splints
snow conditions
These exercises sound similar to the ones I do twice daily to help me get over having suffered shin splints last season.
The exercise I do involves pulling your toes upwards towards your shins and then point your foot away from your shins, and repeat 100 reps or till I have lost the strength to do anymore.
Has worked wonders for my shin splint problem and prevented them recurring thus far while sliding. Is also a good warm up to do just before skiing to get those tibia/fibia related muscles ready to rumble.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy