Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The best transportation solution for the car?

Poster: A snowHead
We are two students who love skiing. At the moment we are doing a project regarding transportation of ski equipment outside a car. We would love to hear from all you skiing enthusiasts out there what you wish for in the ultimate ski transport solution! What are your needs? Something that is missing, annoying or that you appreciate with todays products?

All opinions and thoughts are welcome!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There are loads of roof rack arrangements for skis. Personally I'd like to see someone come up with a system that sits inside the top of the car, using head room down the centre without losing much rear visibility or requiring seats to be folded down, and doesn't affect fuel economy and coat skis in the motorway gunk that comes from putting them on top.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Think Thule have probably solved this problem. Mistress Panda has a good idea though. Roof sleeves, even better if you can think of way to rig them betwwen hatch and rear vew mirror in a hire car and make them weigh under 500g/compact packable.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We carried our skis on a rack on the roof and they were perfectly safe but oh dear the fuel consumption was dreadful. Something external and fuel consumption neutral is what I would want. Perhaps something like a roof box that integrated straight onto the car roof rather than sitting on roof-racks would be more aerodynamic.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
J9, closest you could get is something that suckers on to the roof of the car, and has very little gap, but even that will affect fuel economy. If it can be nside the car it is also much mre secure - something that comes off the front headrests and the floor of the boot, slide skis in, then jack up the back end so you can get them right up against the inside of the roof. I should design this thing, it wouldn't even be complicated.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I saw a reference recently to a car which had a storage compartment in the roof for stuff like skis - Fiat Doblo? Or one of those tall cheap people carrier kind of things, as that was what I was looking for. Skis which weren't in a strong separate compartment could be horrendously dangerous. Slice your head open. Skullie
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sorted:

ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As skis are shorter than they used to be, and cars tend to be getting bigger, then I've been considering the possibility of a horizontal ski box that can sit on the tail of the car. The effects on aerodynamics would be negligible in comparison as they are sitting in an area of turbulence. The biggest issue would be ensuring lights and numberplate are visible, but also enabling easy access to the boot.

As a guide, a Mondeo is 1.9m wide, my longest skis are 183cm. It would increase the length of the car by maybe 20cm at the centerline, but as most cars have some degree of curvature to the back, it could look a little odd at the sides.

Still, something to consider.

Indeed, taking it a step further, make the rear bumper into ski storage. It may only have space for one pair, but it would be built in.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
feef, that's an interesting idea - a bit like a bike rack. Could sit on a tow bar - as my bike rack does, though it does block access to the boot. In fact, it would be a very easy matter to adapt a bike rack to carry skis and snowboards. It's a mucky place, though.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:
feef, that's an interesting idea - a bit like a bike rack. Could sit on a tow bar - as my bike rack does, though it does block access to the boot. In fact, it would be a very easy matter to adapt a bike rack to carry skis and snowboards. It's a mucky place, though.

I was thinking more of a box, so the skis wouldn't get mucky. It could even just be attached with straps, or clips onto the boot, no need for a tow-ball. Add in some extra-strong boot support rams and you could even open the boot with it attached as long as the hinges can take the load.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
feef, It could be attached in the same manner as a bike rack and have intergral lights and numberplate (that's the easy bit) If done right it could even improve fuel mileage. Make it from carbon fibre for weight and you could open the hatch or estate door with it on. Good idea and relatively easy to implement.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A hatch through from the boot works well for me. What would be nice would be to have more than one hatch so you have more flexibility depending on number of rearseat passengers, luggage, etc.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Putting skis inside the car at head height, between the driver and passenger, is a really crazy idea.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Works for both skis and snowboards.
For short journeys for up to 4 sets of skis/snowboards

1. Put boot in binding
2. Open window,
3. Insert boot through open window
4. Carefully close window to lock in place *
5. Drive off **

* Works best with hire cars, particularly those with glass waiver.
** keep it under 50, take care with any particularly low bridges/tunnels.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Frosty the Snowman, Actually this is how we get our kit to the airport. Wooden baton cable-tied between the headrest posts. back of boardbag & ski bag on parcel shelf, front resting on the baton, works a treat.
ski holidays
Did the same with a double bed! and have taken two spare of skis over as well. (Not at the same time) All tied to headrest supports front and rear with cable ties and resting on the load cover and also tied to load cover fix points. Very Happy
Also made a good barrier to keep the kids apart in the back Laughing
ski holidays
Richard_Sideways, does it impede your view through the passenger window, or indeed the front window?
snow conditions
I use a bungee cable between the front headrests, does the job if only two of us in the car but could be refined. Second Mistress Panda design requirements
snow conditions
My skis (190cm) fit inside the car with one rear seat folded down unless I need to fit people in the car in which case I use the roof box. Would be nice not to deal with frozen locks. That's about it.
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, Not particularly to the side, minor obstruction to side, not really much more than having a passenger in the seat, can still see the mirror. No obstruction to the front at all. Cars not particularly big, just a 5 door Ford Focus.
ski holidays
Great input, thanks a lot!
I agree that a horizontal ski box could be a great solution! Much easier to load/unload than a roof box.

Richard_Sideways is your solution similar to this one:

Also wondering if anyone tried something similar to this:

Kind of mixing ski bag with roof box, good idea?
latest report
Quote:

Kind of mixing ski bag with roof box, good idea?

Nope. Cost of two of those adds up to roughly same as roofbox, they are less secure, you can't get much other stuff in them, they suck aerodynamically, they look naff. Excellent for flying though.
snow report
We just stuck them inside the car having folded on back seat down flat. 4 pairs of skis plus a folding bench for servicing. Granted it did help that there were only 2 of us in the Discovery Laughing
ski holidays
Collapse split rear seat (the 40 of the 60:40 usually does it), open boot, fling skis in, close boot
ski holidays
feef, saw just such a thing except vertical on the back of a van a few years back
ski holidays
BWM 5 series with ski prep. Rear centre arm rest folds down to leave space for 4 sets of skis. Also works as a wall to stop the kids from fighting.

Alternatively, wind down rear windows, place skis across both windows, bit of foam/rubber to protect the glass. Wind up windows. Make sure your rear seat passengers are seated before you start though
latest report
What I would like to see is a car fag lighter plug on those turkey boot dryers so I could plug em in in the boot and keep boots toastie on way to the hill, boots currently reside in passenger wheel well with heat on en route but not as effective as the turkey - putting on cold boots can ruin your day
latest report
barry, you can get a 12v boot heater device. So of like two mini hair dryers

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009GXRU6O/ref=asc_df_B009GXRU6O11937754?tag=amz07b-21&smid=A2KSJ23FPMI7BH&linkCode=asn&creative=22218&creativeASIN=B009GXRU6O
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thornyhill, that's the fella for me, thanks
ski holidays
barry wrote:
Thornyhill, that's the fella for me, thanks

I've got some for me wellies Shocked
snow report
axelson, Of course they are a good idea. Skis are in the case. The case is lifted off the car and rolled to the ski locker. The hard cases do not flap like soft ones, they are easier to attach, they do not twist forcing the bindings on the roof and they are weather proof. They do not have the storage problem that roof boxes have when not in use.

However, I always have the handles downward, the front one straddling the roof bar as recommended in the instructions.
snow conditions
Oh barry, Thornyhill, I think Rule 5 just came into effect...
snow report
Richard_Sideways, Rule 5 Would also suggest buy transit, put winter tyres on it, paint whoevers ski team on the side to give it some cachet job done
snow report
Cynic, like it - although the winter tyres could be interpreted as being a bit wimpy. Whats wrong chains? Frightened of getting your manicure all dirty?
Or just letting the ol' tranny to wag her tail now and again Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Mine go in the boot.

Fuel is an issue but if I attach a snow plough I can run it on red

snow conditions
Cynic, Richard_Sideways, About 15 years ago, 6 of us did the boys ski trip in a transit and it was a very effective tool, just threw everything in the back and off we went. Downside i recall was the autoroute tolls were more expensive.
snow conditions
BergenBergen wrote:
Cynic, Richard_Sideways, About 15 years ago, 6 of us did the boys ski trip in a transit and it was a very effective tool, just threw everything in the back and off we went. Downside i recall was the autoroute tolls were more expensive.

I'd be very impressed if it was a Mk I Transit

snow report
Richard_Sideways wrote:

nothing as bad as cold damp wellies. I would rather dance barefoot on a pile of lego and upturned plugs than put on cold damp wellies.
snow report
Ratae Corieltauvorum, yes that would have been impressive, ours was a later vintage. It was a developmental vehicle that had an electronically controlled injection pump with an interesting fuel map which meant that if you ever tired of your average French Pug 205 driver tailgating with flashing headlights and indicators, you could allow them to pass and then return the favour to well over 100mph.
snow report
Thornyhill wrote:
Richard_Sideways wrote:

nothing as bad as cold damp wellies. I would rather dance barefoot on a pile of lego and upturned plugs than put on cold damp wellies.

Indeed, every second thread on here is folk bleating about cold feet, have the boots warm and dry before putting them on and most will enjoy all day comfort
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy