Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zell am See

Poster: A snowHead
Please please can anyone give me some report on Zell am See?
How is the skiing there?
Anyone ever stayed in the ski in ski out Sporthotel? (Sounds great -- locationwise..)
I have an offer to take up a cancelllation package deal--room share there...
and have to decide on it soon!! Shocked

Help please!! Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Julieanne, its about 75km of pistes, I think.

Regards snow - although we were just around the corner in Saalbach, that whole area got an absolute pasting last week. We passed through Zell on the way back to pick up other guests and it looked as though the conditions were very similar.

I'd imagine it would be great at the moment...usual disclaimers wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nice, we went over christmas just gone.

The main gondola out of the village gives you access to some nice skiing, lookers right are some nice cruisy reds and a few blacks. One in particular (#14 I think) is damn steep and good if there is snow.

The glu-vin in the restaurant to your left as you walk out of the gondola is 5e for a little mug.

The bus ride to Kaprun is about 40 minutes, get on it at the terminal rather than a roadside bus stop or you will be sardined for 39 minutes.

If you go up to the glacier in Kaprun have lunch in the restaurant rather than the self service. We had reindeer burgers and they were excellent.

Kaprun is rather open and cold if its windy, better in Zell if that's the case.

The ribs at the Brieteckalm are an excellent choice.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You're wasting your time, guys, she won't go. wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The slope back to the Alpin Sporthotel is a black but not madly difficult. It does have a snake track down it but that is actually more difficult than the black IMHO.

It is a simple stroll across the bottom of the slope in the morning to get the main City Express bubble out of town in the morning. Ive stayed at the hotel in the summer (on a golf tour) and remember it being very nice with a reasonable spa area - usual small pool, sauna and steam room. There is also an umbrella apres bar attached to the hotel as well.

The skiing is intermediate and the main ski area does get quite busy with beginners. But the Sonnenhalm (sp) area is very pretty and a lot quieter. There are some great mountain restaurants too.

The lift pass includes the glacier at Kaprun but after the tree lined slopes of Zell I found the harsh openness of the glacier bleak and soulless (although the run back to the halfway station was very good).

I would definitely go to that hotel again for skiing. The only reason I didn't when I went to Zell am See this Christmas was because I got a great deal on the Grand Hotel on the lakeside.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You git, I was the onle licking the windows as you ate.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks all! Smile Sounds good...
I have until tomorrow to decide! rolling eyes Little Angel
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Pedantica wrote:
You're wasting your time, guys, she won't go. wink

You are a BAD girl! Are you trying to spoil my reputation?? Toofy Grin Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Whats to decide? Plenty of snow and the possibility of more.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Julieanne, no, merely reinforcing it! wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
homers double wrote:
Whats to decide? Plenty of snow and the possibility of more.

Yes-- all that sounds ideal, but I am not keen on the room share...(for various reasons I won't go into here and now!) So have asked if I can get a single-- that would decide it for me.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Pedantica wrote:
Julieanne, no, merely reinforcing it! wink

So maybe I should go, just to prove you wrong!.. Toofy Grin NehNeh
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Julieanne, indeed! Go for it!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The skiing there is great for intermediates. Plenty of nice runs. The village is very pretty and you will eat the best apple pie with custard in your life!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Julieanne, no resort is worth a room share.
ski holidays
Just back from Zell today, staying with my sister and her lot at their house there. Conditions and skiing were excellent but the queuing was pretty bad - mainly I hasten to add by our stay coinciding with Fasching and most half term breaks. We loved the skiing the first couple of days then the ski schools kinda messed up out enjoyment a bit. If you are heading out after this week you should have a great time.
latest report
red 27 wrote:
Julieanne, no resort is worth a room share.

That about sums it up for me! ... I'm far too fussy!

wink
But having said that, it sounds like a lovely place....thanks for the encouraging comments.
ski holidays
What did I say?
ski holidays
Pedantica wrote:
What did I say?

You said she was a big chicken and wouldn't go IIRC. (maybe not those words, but the meaning was clear Toofy Grin )
snow report
Pedantica, Thornyhill, I am not a "big chicken!" Sad

(Just a little one maybe ...about room sharing! Twisted Evil )...'cos I may murder my roommate!)
snow report
boabski,

Quote:

then the ski schools kinda messed up out enjoyment a bit

Oooh! Details please!!
ski holidays
Too feckin many ski schools on the main slopes. Could hardly move for them. Causing chaos at the lifts too. Our kids are passed the ski school stage so was nothing to do with our kids having bad experience using them. As I said, was probably the busiest week of the year.
ski holidays
....having second thoughts about February anyway,as school hols are not my favourite time ...Evil or Very Mad
Zell am See sounds like a lovely spot. .. I lived in Austria as a child for a few years, and I do remember going with my parents on excursions to most of the See's. I am sure we went to Zell am See too, but not to ski. We did ski in Lofer often, as we lived in Salzburg. I've been back there a few times in recent years, loved it, although not a large area.
I haven't heard back about a single room, so doubt if I'll take up the offer of the shared deal!

But thanks for all for the comments...except for Pedantica's Cool
snow conditions
boabski,

Skied there at half term a few years ago. Never again. Spent half the week queuing for the lifts. January and March is wonderful though.
latest report
zellmaniac, ...is it still school half term or school hols the week of 24th February?? Please,... Does anyone know? Shocked
ski holidays
Julieanne, No it isn't. Both the Austrian and German schools have gone back as well as most of the Dutch and Scandies!
ski holidays
I'd expect quite a few Dutch around in France over the next couple of weeks - their holidays go on for a while yet. But maybe they don't go so much to austria?

http://www.holidays-info.com/School-Holidays-Holland/school-holidays-holland.html

On a different thread a Snowhead living in amsterdam noted she expected to be driving down to the Alps along with a fair proportion of the local population.
snow report
pam w, They pour into Austria in their thousands! Only the 3 southernmost provinces on holiday that week, and although they are fairly densely populated, they also tend to spread themselves across the Alps. Christmas and New Year they are all on holiday at the same time, and again at the end of April for the infamous Dutch Weeks in places like Tignes, Stubai, Hintertux and Val Thorens. Shocked Definitely not a good time to be on our toll-free roads then! wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Julieanne,

As Sue said. Just googled it, Germany & Austria back at school - I think it might not be too bad for that week. If the Dutch or some other country are on hols I wouldn't worry. Crowding happens when there are several nations on holiday at the same time.

Go for it - no excuse now wink
snow conditions
Quote:

Skied there at half term a few years ago. Never again. Spent half the week queuing for the lifts. January and March is wonderful though

Agreed. Have never queued so much on a ski holiday. The Areitbahn is a bit of a joke. 3 stage gondola and forced to get out at first station and requeue again. That said, Sunday was one of my top 10 ski days ever but the last couple of days were spoiled by the amount of (beginner) skiers and boarders on the slopes and especially the queues. Great area though to keep you occupied for a few days.
latest report
I'm there at the moment. Just been skiing off piste all day at Kaprun. Fantastic conditions and pre arranged taxis are not too expensive.
ski holidays
Well...still considering it, especially as I've been offered a single room! However, also heard that the Austrian Freeski Open championships are being held there that week!!
So that would certainly bring in a few morecrowds, methinks Shocked rolling eyes
ski holidays
Quote:

So that would certainly bring in a few morecrowds, methinks

They're unlikely to be cluttering up the pistes you want to ski on, Julieanne, and lively vibe in the town should be quite fun. You're going to have to find another excuse... wink
ski holidays
pam w, Little Angel Little Angel
Actually--am now finding excuses to go for it! Laughing
A dear friend of mine may come and visit Zell for the day--she lives nearby --so that makes it more attractive!
However
Quote:
the lively vibe in town
would not be much of a turn on for me, I prefer the "serene peaceful vibe" of mountains these days.. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Quote:

would not be much of a turn on for me, I prefer the "serene peaceful vibe" of mountains these days

Julieanne,

I find that the town of Zell even when busy is not too noisy and brash. Not been there during the freeski championships though.

I'm sure you'll like Zell - really beautiful - great walk around the lake as well.

By the way are the championships on the Schmittenhoe (Zell's mountain) or on the Kitzsteinhorn? If on the Kitz it really won't impact on your skiing.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 15-02-13 15:36; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Just seen the championships are on the Kitzsteinhorn!
latest report
zellmaniac, thanks--that all sounds encouraging! Am now decided on going-- though flights have now become problem with the said group ('cos I didn't decide yesterday!)-- so am looking into independent flights...wish me luck! Very Happy

But I'm beginning to think I'm right in normally avoiding February skiing! rolling eyes
latest report
Julieanne,

You can fly to either Salzburg or Innsbruck. Zell has a train station so it is easy to get there from either city.

If you go to Salzburg you can get a bus direct from the airport to Zell - the cheapest option!

Good luck!
latest report
Quote:

I'm beginning to think I'm right in normally avoiding February skiing!

Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled This forum has been absolutely chock-full of photos and reports from people who've been enjoying some fantastic skiing for the last two weeks, often reporting on how quiet the pistes are. Will be changing this weekend and some reports of big queues (Chamonix, Mayrhofen) at some lifts, but mostly very good conditions.

If you wait until everything is perfect it'll never happen.
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I'm beginning to think I'm right in normally avoiding February skiing!

Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled

pam w I feel I should explain...I don't like crowded slopes as the one time I had a ski crash was in Sierra Nevada Spain in February-- when an out of control beginner collided into me, and fractured my ribs! rolling eyes

So once bitten twice shy, as they say-- but I should not let that experience put me off February--right? wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy