Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sainte Foy Report

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Not sure if I should be posting this as one of the main attractions of this resort is it's small size and lack of lift queues, really wouldn't want it any other way.

After hearing fantastic reviews of the resort, I thought we should give it a go. I did have some reservations, surely I'd be able to cover the area in a day with there only being 4 chair lifts (that is the sum total of lifts in the area). Anyway, due to the arrival of our 2 kids, the snowboard holidays had been put on hold and we hadn't been away for 4 years. I'd arranged a group of 10, myself who started snowboarding over 25 years ago, my Wife (intermediate boarder), our 5 and 6 year olds who had a few dry slope lessons prior to the holiday and 6 beginniers.

I'd recommended we go for a catered chalet and we ended up booking with Brilliant White. Apart from getting to and from the resort / Chambery Airport (see other thread), this was as close to a perfect holiday as I've ever had. For a French resort, we found the staff in the hire shops, bars, lift attendants and instructors, all very friendly and approachable. As I'd read, there is a very relaxed atmosphere. We also found that at the lifts and on the slopes, people respected each other.

The Chalet and out hosts, Marcus and Charlotte, were fantastic. Food was delicious and plenty of it, even our fussy kids were happy and getting a brew in bed to wake up with was a first for me and definitely appreciated, there were other little details, including beer as well as wine, lots of videos and Xbox games, etc. which all made our stay so good and we have never had 2 so well behaved kids as we did for this week. As with any accomodation in the resort, we were literally seconds away from the beginner slopes at the bottom of the resort and also the first lift. We found the layout great for meeting up with the kids and our friends after thier lessons at luchtime.

Zig-Zags were recommended for ski hire and most of the group used them, they were great, even found a replacement ratchet strap for my snowboard and only asked me for a donation! They were happy for people to swap boots, etc and the equipment was very well maintained. We used Ski Republic for the kids as they had an offer on which made them a bargain. I did worry about the condition of the gear before we got there, but it was excellent, the skis looked like thay had been serviced and they took their time to make sure everything fitted well so I'd recommend both of these shops. We also hired boards for our kids for a couple of afternoons and got no grief for trying to give them some assistance and tips on the begginers slopes and magic carpets.

My worries about the size of the ski area were also soon behind me. I was very impressed by the amount of runs and also their variety from just 4 lifts. The off piste available from the lifts or within just a short walk of them was percentage wise, probably the best of any resort I've ever been to. We were also very lucky with the snow, finding fresh tracks every day. I would say there is very large proportion of skiers and boarders looking for their share of the powder so it does get tracked out quite quickly, particularly the off piste you can see from the lifts.

We left with some great memories and will definitely be returning even though I don't particularly like going back to resorts, with St Foy, we'll be making an exception. I'd put it up there as my favourite French resort and also one of the best resorts I've ever been to.

Our kids didn't want to come home at the end of the holiday and when we did get back on Saturday night, they asked if they could go for thier ski lessons at the dry slope on Sunday morning! We also brought back some very happy beginners who had progressed brilliantly during the week thanks to the excellent ESF school in the resort and who I'm sure will be coming along with us in future, in fact, 2 of them were planning to go and buy their own boots before next season.

Unless you're into long motorway type cruising / touring, I'd put St Foy on anyone's "to do" list.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nice report ChrisP3.S.F. has been on my hit list since I started looking to Europe to scratch my snow itch. From what I've seen and from reading other experiences, I imagine it's a similar feel to some of the North American mountains i've been to, which appeals hugely versus the big mileage resorts.

Some friends who still have money and time to burn this year are looking for a week away, and i'm trying to steer them towards S.F. so I can get a vicarious first hand account...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ChrisP3, thanks for this - i'm looking for a resort for beginners at the mo and this was a suggestion from someone else on my thread (though i was looking for easy, long cruisy pistes)
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Curzonian wrote:
ChrisP3, thanks for this - i'm looking for a resort for beginners at the mo and this was a suggestion from someone else on my thread (though i was looking for easy, long cruisy pistes)

I should add, there are no green runs apart from the begginer slopes at the bottom.

Run 15 (Plan Bois) was listed as greeen until this season I believe. It is a gentle winding run through the trees until the last few hundred metres where it becomes much steeper, the beginners initially struggled with this. I'm sure this is why it's now classified as a blue.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ah right, thanks, might not be the place for us just yet then!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Curzonian, it's a great place for beginners. The main advantages being the lack of traffic on the pistes and the generally better piste condition than most places.

Beginners will always find bits to struggle on, it's the nature of being a beginner!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I would have probably been a bit reluctant to take 6 beginners if I'd known there were no green runs beforehand but in the end it was a great resort for them. I'm sure the high standard of tuition helped a great deal too.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ChrisP3, there are plenty of places that don't even use the green run designation at all (e.g. Les Arcs!). Not something to get hung up on. It's very common for the only green runs to be the nursery slopes.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stevomcd, ok thanks, won't write it off just yet!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I agree - I went there 3 years ago as it was the only option available at 1 days notice. Was a bit concerned about the lack of terrian from the piste map, but this dissapeared after I started skiing. Great for off piste and I had the best week skiing ever (outside of Canada).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
been going every year for the last 5 years...absolute jem of a resort......yes 3 of the 4 chairs are slow.........and appears to be limited runs but without queues and mass hoards even at peak times.

Great for families......safe for the kids to learn...all pistes practically lead back to the same point so easy to meet up pre and post lessons/lunch etc etc

but don t tell anyone else about it please!!!!!!! LOL
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We're due out there the week after next, really looking forward to it. Some of your description - especially the variety of options from each lift and the attitude of locals and fellow skiers/boarders - reminds me a lot of Canada. Still haven't experienced anything in France to touch Whistler - including Val d'Isere last week - but Ste Foy sounds like it has a huge amount going for it.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Great report, I have been looking for a new resort to take a mixed ability group next year and that maybe worth a look. I love the bigger resorts but with a mixed group it would be difficult to all meet up at lunch etc so I reckon St Foy may tick the box.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just back from a fantastic (first) week in St Foy. I would say that it was ideal for beginners and mixed ability groups. I spent a lot of the week dipping into off-piste, my wife cruised around the reds and blues and my son finally went over to the dark side and learned to snowboard. All served by the same lifts and easy to meet up or nip back to the apartment for lunch if you like. The place just seemed so relaxed and friendly compared with the large resorts. For it's relatively small size there seems to be a steady progression from the nursery slope up to the home run blue, which is pretty gentle compared with some greens I've been on, all the way up to black itineraries. So most levels can find something to push them on a bit.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stefoy4me wrote:
been going every year for the last 5 years...absolute jem of a resort......yes 3 of the 4 chairs are slow.........and appears to be limited runs but without queues and mass hoards even at peak times.

I was reliably informed that the first lift (Grand Plan), is to be replaced with a high speed 6 seat chair for next season.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy