Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resqski ski finder system

Poster: A snowHead
Has anybody used the Resqski ski finder system? Scottydog is selling them and recons there great. If they are as good as they say, could save hours looking for a lost ski
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How many hours have you spent looking for a lost ski?

Most occasions, by the time you're all set up and searching, I'll be skiing "your" line. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
under a new name, don't ski his line - it ends in a horrible crumpled heap of lost skis. Twisted Evil

Having seen at least 3 people looking for lost skis at St.Anton last month, I suppose I can see the value - whether that value is a hundred quid is another matter. Personally I've chosen the darkside so its not an issue for me Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
under a new name, I've spent a good hour looking for a ski on more than one occasion! My remedy is to use a tracer through ( yes I know they are a PITA, but they work )
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have a cheaper alternative in development. Probably cost about a tenner. Watch this space.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I wonder what frequency they transit on?

"We're really sorry Mrs Miggins, we didn't find Bobby under the snow in time, but we did retrieve his Wagners"
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
under a new name, 2.45Ghz well off ave beacon range... Oddly enough thats exactly the same as bluetooth so it may swamp any phone to device comms while active.

feef, its not those whistle activated keychains is it?
OOH BETTER! SMOKE BOMB OR PAINT GRENADES WHICH OF OFF WHEN THEY DETATCH! Money in the bank.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Richard_Sideways wrote:
under a new name, 2.45Ghz well off ave beacon range... Oddly enough thats exactly the same as bluetooth so it may swamp any phone to device comms while active.

feef, its not those whistle activated keychains is it?
OOH BETTER! SMOKE BOMB OR PAINT GRENADES WHICH OF OFF WHEN THEY DETATCH! Money in the bank.

Nope.. far more lo-tech than that Smile
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
feef, this is what we were chatting about before, isn't it? I had a similar idea involving RECCO but until I can get the detector size down it's on the shelf. tbh, m8 if we can crack that issue ...... ahhhh, just had a cunning idea ........ ttfn.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
RattytheSnowRat wrote:
feef, this is what we were chatting about before, isn't it? I had a similar idea involving RECCO but until I can get the detector size down it's on the shelf. tbh, m8 if we can crack that issue ...... ahhhh, just had a cunning idea ........ ttfn.

no nothing so fancy Smile
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If I open the curtains to see a nice deep dump of powder part of my mind starts thinking WHEN (not if) I'll be stomping about trying to find one/both skis having face-planted Smile Finding the skis seems to take a good 15 minutes*.

I've often wondered why bindings don't have a tether that clips to your ski boot, a-la surf boards, so you can just follow the string to your skis.

* And why oh why is the prominent colour on skis (and a lot of other ski equipment for that matter) white!!!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mjit wrote:
I've often wondered why bindings don't have a tether that clips to your ski boot, a-la surf boards, so you can just follow the string to your skis.

Probably for the same reason that a lot of climbers don't like their ice axes on a leash (a lot do, however, it's a matter of choice) - not liking the idea of equipment whirling around while you slide down the mountain, smacking you on the head (or slicing/impaling you) as you fall.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just wind your DIN up to the max and they'll never leave you Twisted Evil
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mjit, they do - it's called a leash and you can see then on all good snowboards around you. This used to be the norm until they invented ski brakes. Downside is getting pranged by the ski as it pivots through the air on it's leash sometimes AND potentially having the ski lodge somewhere as you slide on - not nice. I use doubled para breakcord to overcome that issue Yellow Pyranha, oddly enough I use ice axe leashes rather than ski specific leashes for some of my bindings - they are more springy.

KISS solution is still flouro tracers - adapted ones work best

Richard_Sideways, bad man Toofy Grin
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mjit wrote:

My touring kit now has exactly this, but with the expectation that I will be skiing it quite conservatively so crashes are usually low energy. Some folk use powder traces (coloured ribbons fixed to the ski but not to the skier) to make lost skis easier to find without the risk of the whole smacked-in-the-face-by-a-razor-sharp-ski-edge type problems.

Mjit wrote:
And why oh why is the prominent colour on skis (and a lot of other ski equipment for that matter) white!!!

This is almost entirely the fault of the purchaser wink
snow report
Mjit, Then you need to learn basic ski search techniques, don't you?

P.S. if I can find them, I have some powder leashes (designed for skis) that you may bid on.

Serriadh, Does your touring kit have brakes?
snow report
under a new name wrote:
Serriadh, Does your touring kit have brakes?

I do have some touring bindings fitted with a set of spring loaded arms that are sold by dynafit as brakes, but in my experience would be better described as "novelty brake items", not intended for serious use as a ski-stopping mechanism. I also use some Plum Guides, which don't have brakes.
snow conditions
Quote:

if I can find them, I have some powder leashes

Have you attached a beacon to them? Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Just a more expensive version of some other consumer "key finder" type gadget that is freely available in the US in same spec quite cheaply AIUI.
ski holidays
Megamum, If I had, I'd be able to find them, wouldn't I?
latest report
fatbob wrote:
Just a more expensive version of some other consumer "key finder" type gadget that is freely available in the US in same spec quite cheaply AIUI.

Most of the hardware is easily available in the UK branded as 'loc8tor'. This doesn't come supplied with any sort of special waterproof case for the little beacons, however. I ordered some with the intention of seeing if they would be waterproof enough in the 'splashproof' silicone cases for ski use, but I didn't get em in time for my last trip. If I find the time to get out again, I'll let everyone know if they survive wink
latest report
Quote:

I do have some touring bindings fitted with a set of spring loaded arms that are sold by dynafit as brakes, but in my experience would be better described as "novelty brake items", not intended for serious use as a ski-stopping mechanism.

snap.... but useful when putting skis on
snow conditions
under a new name, what comes first the beacon or the powder leash? Laughing If you attached a beacon to a powder leash would you have solved the problem of losing socks in the washing machine, or invented perpetual motion? (Or is that a cat with its back attached to slice of buttered bread?)
snow report
Megamum, only if the beacon is waterproof.
ski holidays
http://www.loc8tor.com/uk/loc8tor-pet-321.html?___store=ukview
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy