Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How to backflip out of an avalanche

Poster: A snowHead
Sverre Liliequist backflips just ahead of an avalanche during his run in the Swatch Skiers Cup Shocked

http://youtube.com/v/EyiO2dFym0c
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Caption this?

ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
He lost his GoPro! He had it at the start but it wasnt there at the finish
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Zero-G, a new name for the list.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Storm clouds
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Zero-G, WTHF's that noise? . . . right, hit this and . . . rotate . . . Oh Fook . . . stick it, stick it SSSSTICK IT . . . . . . . . . Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jbob wrote:
I'd say that list is now moot.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Zero-G, Do you think when he went for the back flip he realised how close he was to the avalanche? It seemed to cost him precious moments.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
That's just showing off Cool
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Megamum, I doubt he knew about the avy until he was upside in mid air. Either that or he's got a set of balls on him and every other man should just hand in his man card now.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Stunning, he couldn't have had a clue till he was in the air or landing, and then Shocked
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I can't believe he's a pro-skier....i'm waaaaay better than him!!
rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes

(50,000,000 points?)
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ALQ wrote:
I can't believe he's a pro-skier....i'm waaaaay better than him!!
rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes

(50,000,000 points?)

The points are yours Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Someone hold my beer
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thornyhill, The last ime I tried a back flip I was left coughing my remaining lung up whilst my broken leashed ski hare assed down the hill to Arc 1800. Evil or Very Mad
latest report
I reckon at that precise moment he was wondering if Chamexpress had actually taken his credit card number or not.
snow report
Masque wrote:
Thornyhill, The last ime I tried a back flip I was left coughing my remaining lung up whilst my broken leashed ski hare assed down the hill to Arc 1800. Evil or Very Mad

Last time for me was completely accidentally somewhere near Belle Plagne about 10 years ago. I managed 50% of it absolutely perfectly. Embarassed
ski holidays
Masque wrote:

I did it once - got close enough to landing it (on an airbag) to survive with both lungs. No excuse for poor risk management.Happy
ski holidays
Slightly makes me curious as to the risk assessment/course control for that sort of thing.
snow report
under a new name, Risk assessment = "I can hit that"

Good Grief man! They're skiing a cliff face . . . we don't even have an assessment criteria for the size of their balls rolling eyes
snow conditions
PP wrote:
Storm clouds
Very good. I didn't get it at first.

Dear Santa, I would like an Avalung for christmas
latest report
Masque, How often have you heard of DH races being cancelled due conditions?

So snow pack assessment could be considered more of an art than a science but surely "Well, we can probably get a few of them down but sooner or later one of them is going to bring the whole pitch down" is not a place the organiser (or underwriter) wants to be in...
ski holidays
under a new name, Of course there is risk assessment but this is extreme skiing on pitch angles that are impossible to survey the entire face. ANY hill can slide whatever the sign at the top of the lift says. FFS I've had to dig out of a 10ft slip on the side of a green rolling eyes

Yes "snow pack assessment" is nothing more than an a calculated risk based on limited data from a very small practical sample, snowfall records and experience. The only thing accurate about it is 'today there is a bit less chance of you getting hurt'
snow conditions
jbob wrote:

Sverre Lillequist isn't exactly a new name!!
snow report
Masque wrote:
under a new name, Of course there is risk assessment but this is extreme skiing on pitch angles that are impossible to survey the entire face. ANY hill can slide whatever the sign at the top of the lift says. FFS I've had to dig out of a 10ft slip on the side of a green rolling eyes

Yes "snow pack assessment" is nothing more than an a calculated risk based on limited data from a very small practical sample, snowfall records and experience. The only thing accurate about it is 'today there is a bit less chance of you getting hurt'

It's an organised competition though, I would expect them to bomb it pretty heavily beforehand (they probably did) with so much fresh snow on it, before allowing the comp to go ahead - they are often post-poned when conditions aren't ideal - and they sure as poo-poo should be surveying the whole face used in situations like this! Rare to see avalanches, especially of that size, in competitions - thankfully! It's the one risk they should be doing their utmost to remove from the equation, the skiing is gnarly enough with the worry of slides on your mind too...
snow conditions
clarky999 wrote:
jbob wrote:

Sverre Lillequist isn't exactly a new name!!

I believe he means a new name for this list rather than a new skier on the block Very Happy
snow report
Zero-G, ah, makes sense lol!
snow conditions
Interestingly, if you watch the day 3 video, they actually classed that as slough rather than an avy. Still bloody impressive!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Will he have been carrying airbag, avalung etc. in that backback he was wearing or do they ditch that sort of gear for lightness when competing?
ski holidays
Piccadilly, Twisted Evil
latest report
clarky999, have you not twigged yet? . . . The mountain ALWAYS rules. Every day we go out there is risk from a myriad of circumstance, to think that any hill is safe because someone chucked an explosive onto a slope is puerile. EVERY day on the hill is a joy not just because if the fun in sliding but also because we know in our hearts that there is an element of risk involved . . . and we are usually the worst at assessing that risk.
snow report
Megamum, bit of observation - 1:45 into the clip will answer your question rolling eyes
ski holidays
clarky999, that was my thinking.

Zero-G, not slough I'd want running around my waist while skiing above a cliff though.

Masque, I think you are missing the point: being that while accidents happen, we get things wrong, etc. but...

- that appeared from the limited information contained in that video to be quite a lot of snow following him down
- given all the risk of cultural collateral damage (e.g. costs, lawsuits, jail time, etc.)

I'm just a little surprised.

That is all.
ski holidays
Masque, yes, of course I get that, but in an organised competition I'd expect the slope to be much more secured and 'checked' than in day to day backcountry skiing. Of course there can be no guarantees, but I'm surprised that (the weight of) one single skier was able to trigger such a big slide on a comp face. It's a bloody big event, the location has been chosen for the riders, the organisers have a responsibility to make it as safe as possible, so the riders can take as big a risk as they want to in terms of line choice/speed etc, focussing purely on that.
snow report
Pretty sure he was just trying to see how big the avalanche was.
snow report
under a new name, I played in a Burton Open . . . You relinquish all responsibility to yourself in these events. Your sponsor etc. is your insurer and that is limited in your contract with them. The organisers do not have to do a thing to make the hill safer. They do, but that is not a requirement. All risk assessment is down to you to accept your own limits.

What "cultural collateral damage"? Have you ever competed in anything? Not being nasty but seriously, organisers limit their exposure to just spectators and infrastructure at best.
latest report
Weathercam, Well I looked 3 times, then went frame by frame, and then gathered that the red bar thing is a toggle release? Having never seen one before and not knowing what I was looking at, it is easily missed. rolling eyes back at you Razz

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 13-02-13 11:12; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Megamum, would have thought with nigh on 25k of posts you'd know these things Confused
snow conditions
Masque wrote:
Have you ever competed in anything? Not being nasty but seriously, organisers limit their exposure to just spectators and infrastructure at best.

I have, and while organizers may try to limit any liability to competitors they can't override the law, particularly around negligence. Take a look at the Lanzinger and Ulle Maier case for example - while the Maier one was dismissed it did make court and had the initial assessment that she hit a timing post been proven then the organisers would've been found criminally negligent.
snow report
Weathercam, every single one of them posted whilst on-piste!! Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy