Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Staying courchevel 19/2/13 - help please!!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks, first time post!

Going with wee bro to Courchevel 1850 next Monday, skis and accommodation sorted, what's cheapest way to but lift passes and also we are only skiing for 3 days, would the courchevel only pass or the 3v be more use do you all think? I would say I am a slightly above intermediate, bro is beginner to intermediate.

Obviously want to see as much of the area as we can, but also don't want to waste money on the full on lift pass if we've no chance of actually seeing the whole area!!

Any help appreciated, also suggestions for somewhere decent to grab a beer at night would be grand.

Thanks in advance,
Steve snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to Snowheads!

Ignore me below post. Sorry I did not notice last night that you only ski for 3 days. Therefore I now would say Courchevel pass should be enough.

I would def get 3V pass. So much great terrain, easily accessible from 1850, day trips to St Martin, Mottaret and Val Thorens, we had such a great week last winter.
Courchevel is nice and big enough for a week but why, you are in 3V, explore.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 13-02-13 8:23; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for taking the time to post. Much appreciated. What about where to but the lift passes, at resort direct for lift company or is there a cheaper way??
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
stever1702, given that you are not v experienced skiers, I'd suggest you get a Courchevel valley pass for a day, and see how you get on. That valley has more skiing than most ski resorts in the world. Then if you feel you want to get further afield, by a 3V pass for the next couple of days - probably the evening of the first day, as the resort will be v busy and there could be queues.

Be careful where you "grab a beer" - there are some very expensive spots in Courchevel 1850 but you'll probably get some good suggestions here.

Don't miss out on Courchevel 1650 - well worth a visit. And La Tania.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stever1702, There isn't really a cheaper way to buy passes (unless you are going through a TO who has managed to get a discount. Here is a link on info for ski-passes http://www.s3v.com/en

The Courchevel only pass is a bit cheaper and you would still get to ski 1850, 1650, 1550, Le Praz and La Tania with it which is plenty of skiing for 3 days.

Personally I would recommend going down to 1650 for a beer. A short bus ride and IMHO better bars. The Bubble Bar or Rocky's are quite favoured joints. There is also the Funky Fox which as a pool table but I haven't been in there.

I'm in 1650 next week so may see you there!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Brilliant, thank you so much. Again, any suggestions for cheapest way /place to buy tickets
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stever1702, I forgot to say welcome to Snowheads! I am not sure of anyway to get cheaper lift passes per se. You pretty much have to go to one of the designated ticket offices which will be near the Tourist Information Centres. In 1850 it is in the La Croisette area.

You can buy mini passes in the Courchevel 1650 area and also I think in La Tania plus there are some free ski lifts around if you want to get your ski legs. This site may also help http://www.courchnet.com/lifts/ski/options.html

But in terms of a cheap way to buy lift passes I know of none especially in February half term!

I hope you have a great time. The snow there is meant to be phenomenal.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w wrote:
stever1702, given that you are not v experienced skiers, I'd suggest you get a Courchevel valley pass for a day, and see how you get on. That valley has more skiing than most ski resorts in the world. Then if you feel you want to get further afield, by a 3V pass for the next couple of days - probably the evening of the first day, as the resort will be v busy and there could be queues.

Really good advice. There's plenty of skiing covered on the Courcheval pass to keep you going for more than 3 days. There are brilliant runs down to Le Praz, La Tania and 1650.

pam w wrote:
Be careful where you "grab a beer" - there are some very expensive spots in Courchevel 1850 but you'll probably get some good suggestions here.

Even better advice. The 6euro I paid for a can of coke at the shack outside the Panorama on Saulire really stung. Prices down in La Tania are really very reasonable (by 3V standards). For a taste of how the other half (in this case rich Russians) live, have a look at the menu outside the restaurant above the airport in Courcheval - sadly I can't remember it's name, but I'm sure someone will remind me.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Chalet de Pierres off Verdon is nice
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cap horn! Lunched there in new year, couldn't get a posh table with tablecloths as the Russians were celebrating new year, so much money was being splashed around, the 5 of us spent 550 for lunch! Was back safely in La Tania for our 60 pound pizza the next day!!.
A expensive experience.

Agree with courchevel pass,and avoid 1850 for beers it cost us 36 euros for 3 beers . 15 in La Tania!

Anyway back there next week,La Tania that is

Have a great trip
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stever1702, Sorry I did not notice last night that you only ski for 3 days. Therefore I now would say Courchevel pass should be enough.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stever1702, useful tip - aim to ski down the hill for lunch, there are a number of places where you can get a very reasonably priced lunch in 1650, and the other resorts further down the mountain. If you eat in 1850, you will be paying 1850 prices. There are places which aren't bonkers expensive, but you won't know which they are or how to find them, so save time and aim low.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks all for your replies, very very much appreciated. So, think we'll head downhill for lunch each day, recommendations for say a burger and pint then !?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hey steve

I'd say there's plenty of skiing in Courch for 3 days (having just got back, and great conditions too!) but perhaps you could buy a single day 3V pass and have a day in Meribel (or do the full tour, but it might be hard work for your beginner-y brother) if you like.

If I were you, I'd aim to spend one day around Verdons and the higher mountain reds and blacks (which is the most challenging area in Courch, Verdons being the easiest), one day tackling the slopes above La Tania (perhaps with lunch in La Tania - the Ski Lodge at the bottom of Folyeres/Bouc Blanc is good and inexpensive compared to 1850), and one day in Courch 1650 (don't miss the reds around the Chapelets chairlift, they're really good and last week were really varied - one corduroy motorway piste, one bumpy unpisted run, and one powdery unpisted run).

We really enjoyed lunch at L'Arc En Ciel in 1650. L'Arc En Ciel has the best pizza we had all week, and only about 10 Euros for a large one. To get there, go to the bottom of the Ariondaz piste (the main gondola station at the bottom), go into the left-hand side of the gondola station and down the escalator, and then turn right on the main road. It's about 5 mins up the hill on the left hand side, opposite La Boulotte, which is also a nice place to stop for a drink/food.

Stay well away from all the mountain restaurants and most of the places in 1850 - they're all ludicrously overpriced. 1650, 1550 and La Tania especially are much better value.

My one tip for a cheap beer in Courch 1850 would be to go to Ku De Ta for happy hour. It's just below the Verdons gondola station - you can ski to it by going under the tunnel to the left of Verdons and Chenus gondolas (it's literally the first place on the left of the tunnel) or walking to it along the main road. Large beers are 5 Euros, and you can get 2-for-1 at happy hour which is 4-5pm, pretty sure that's the best price anywhere in Courch.

Best place we found for burger and pint at lunch was The Ski Lodge at the bottom of the runs into La Tania. Practically ski-in, ski-out (turn left outside to get to the La Tania gondola). You can get a burger and a pint for about 15 Euros or so, and the burgers are really good. Burger and a pint in Courch 1850 or on the mountain will cost closer to 30 Euros. Try the kangaroo if you want something a bit different.

I've got a trip report on here from last week - in this very forum. Might be some more info in there.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Folks, thanks yet again for the time you've all taken to reply, very much appreciated, starting to get pretty excited now!! If you see some Scottish lad flying down a hill out of control, hello!!!!
snow report
Folks, that's the skiing all done, absobloodylutely superb time, really was. Not a cloud to be seen either, just fantastic.

Now, leaving early tmrw, anybody have easy directions how to get to French side of Geneva airport for hire car drop off, avoiding the Swiss roads and the potential charges that goes with that?!?!?
snow conditions
stever1702, leave the French motorway when you get the signs into Geneva (I think it also says Gaillard), then carry on down to the lake. Go round the end of the lake (which will be on your right) and take the route to Gd Saconnex and Ferney Voltaire. It's Ferney Voltaire you want - ignore all signs to the airport. The signs for Ferney will take you under the runway and then almost immediately through the border post. The road into the French sector of the airport is a left turn, with a very inconspicuous sign, just after the border post. If you get to a roundabout you have gone to far - do a 180 round the roundabout and look out for the airport road on your right.

I tend not to look v closely at the signposting - somebody else might be able to give you more accurate info on what signage to look out for
ski holidays
It;s worth having a look at it on Google maps - ask for directions from Annemasse to Ferney Voltaire, avoiding tolls. Having an image of the route in your head will help. Just remember not to lose your nerve at the last moment and follow signs to the airport - keep on the Ferney signs.
latest report
Brilliant, these make total sense, thanks again all. Steve
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy