Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skins for Scott Crusades?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've got some Scott Crusades coming, great skis for both on and off piste. I understand that the Venturi tip can be problematic for skins, though. I've never actually done any skinning but am likely to in the not too distant future, and I was wondering whether anyone here has used any which work with the Crusades. I have the feeling G3 do some which might.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Had a quick look on the german speaking websites. Seen Crusades with G3, Black Diamond & Colltex skins.

G3 glide very well but do not offer the most grip (I have a set). Black Diamond are the reverse (high on grip but don't glide too well). G3's also tend to absorb more water. Colltex are very good skins and offer an 88mm wide camlock skin that fits the longer length Crusades.

http://www.sport-praxenthaler.com/Skitouren/Skitourenfelle-Zubehoer/Colltex-Camlock-88mm-Auslauf.html

I prefer Kohla, also have a set and they glide almost as well as the G3's but offer much more grip. You can change the clips at the end too.
Probably best to get a shop to order and fit/cut the skins for you.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the comprehensive reply! I'll take a look at those.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Scott sell bespoke skins for their skis made by Colltex. Not sure if they have a specific one for the Crusade but I can easily find out
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Skins that are produced for the ski manufacturers in bulk tend not to be of the highest quality. (e.g. Völkl supply their touring skis with a "free" set of skins but they are generally no name or the lower performing models from the main manufacturers).

Some more info in this thread
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=94077
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Point taken but the Colltex ones are pretty good, have tailored fastening sytem at the front (for the air series at least) and they certainly ain't free if you buy them! Wouldn't be a lot of point in designing an integrated touring specific ski/skin system and then give crappy skins as the option? I stand to be corrected.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sharkymark,

It's like liners in ski boots, some manufacturers use high quality (e.g. Scarpa use Intution in many of their high end boots). Some use liners that are so bad people replace them straight away.

When I bought my first set of touring skis I went for Völkl and the skins were included in the price. It makes the overall package cheaper and enables Völkl to sell more skis. The skins didn't last half as long or give as good a performance as the high quality sets of Colltex skins my touring friends used. (You start slipping earlier and don't glide as well, this saps up a lot more energy)

It only costs a few quid/euros more to go for a top model

e.g.
http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/en/colltexmohaircamlockextremect401213-p-6638.html

versus

http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/en/colltexcamlockmix1213-p-79170.html

... and when you are slogging up those hills sweating like a pig, pretty sure you will be glad of the extra performance for a little more cost.

Top quality skins are models such as ....
Colltex CT 40 (Climber)
Kohla Mohhair I-Clip (All-round)
G3 Alpinist (Glider)

http://www.mpsports.at/download/01_060_TEST.PDF
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My skis have venturi tips and tails too. I got a normal set of montana skins and have found as long as the length has been set properly with the adjusters and that I really make sure the skins are well adhered to the ski in the tip/tail area then I get on fine with them. I did have an issue on the first couple of skins with the tail coming off but as long as I made sure they were stuck on well paying particularly attention to tip/tail the problem didn't repeat itself.

Not sure I'd recommend the skins I got necessarily but suspect if you are careful most skins will fit venturis would be my assessment so far.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DB, fair enuff! The Colltex ones for the Scott ranges are CT 40 FWIW
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
J2R, G3 alpinist will do the trick ,with the g3 cutting tool its easy to DIY snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy