Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Arthroscopy any experience?

Poster: A snowHead
I had an arthroscopy last Friday, so just 8 days ago. The surgeon tells me that were a couple of tears and that he has cleaned the area out of debris. Does anyone have any experience of the same procedure. I am wondering what progress to expect. When I look at my thigh, there is a lot of muscle wastage but the swelling has gone down a lot. I am doing the exercises but my knee still won't bend very far and the whole knee is quite stiff. We have our holiday booked for late Feb and I am sure I will be fine but others experiences would be welcome and hopefully reassuring.
Cheers
Alan
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
alanuk54, When I had this done, my surgeon set me on to the exercise bike routine to rebuild my wasted thigh muscles. It worked. I expect for you X marks the spot Very Happy ...are your stitches out yet?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have a cross trainer at home and hope to get on it ASAP. There are just steri strips, no stitches. I have taken one off and it's healed well, just a tiny scar, but I may leave the others a few more days. Thanks for the reply.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
alanuk54, Getting the swelling down is going to be important for you, once you have reduced it, there will be more space for the knee joint to bend. Tedious stuff, but necessary. Umm, age also plays a part in the length of the recovery ( I was informed by my surgeon rolling eyes ).
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Tedious, you can say that again. Age hmm no spring chicken I'm afraid, 54 ouch!!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
alanuk54, Very Happy My surgeons "lecture" was along the lines of..."well you are not an 18 year old footballer you know Very Happy, when I had the audacity to be impatient with my recovery curve! I am not qualified to give you any advice, I would have found a cross trainer a bit painful for the 1st few weeks, which is when you need to work on getting the fluid shifted-hence the bike regime which began on the day my stitches came out, for 30 mins a day, everyday. We are all thankfully different, so the cross trainer may be fine for you Very Happy
If you are really committed to rehabilitating your knee and the attached muscles, a ski trip at the end of Feb 06 should be well achievable ( spoken as a non health professional who knows nowt wink ) If you are about on here we have at least a couple of regular snowHead who are Drs.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the input, yes I'm on here a lot so I'll keep looking. The trip is bought and paid for by the way so even if its a mono ski job, I'll be there.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
alanuk54, I always groan when I see posts like yours - not your fault at all, but your surgeon should have given you all this information 8 days ago, and backed it up with written instructions and advice.
There are hundreds of sites out there in Internetland that could help.
Arthroscopy of the knee is probably the commonest orthopaedic operation. It has its own journal.
Some sites that might help you include the one where the picky came from (here and next page) and - though I cringe as I link to it - BUPA.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
alanuk54, I had one done in the dark ages when the procedure was in its infancy in the late 70's ( Plastic Bertram and Ian Dury were in the charts) Had a lump of hard tissue removed from behind the patella. Never had a problem since. Took about a month to running around again. Never did make the rugby team again though but that was probably lack of skill more than anything.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the links Jonapim, those sites have given me a lot of answers. My surgeon did go through everything with me both before and after but I wanted to hear what a skier had to say. I probaly won't make the Olympic ski team anyway Russell but like you, it's lack of skill.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've done a few in my time...
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
my husband had an arthroscopy (also around 54). It healed extremely quickly, was hardly sore at all, impossible to believe anything had actually been done (surgeon not v informative...). But - the knee didn't collapse any more - he was delighted. Recovery almost instantaneous, just took it easy for a few days and did the gentle progressive exercises one is always told to do for knees - a printed sheet from the physio. The surgeon may not have been very communicative, but he obviously knew his job. He has another one booked for early Feb (other knee!) and hopes to ski very gently before, in January, and less gently after, in March. I suppose that the extent of work done during the op, and the nature of the initial damage, has a big impact on recovery, but for us it was brilliant.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
alanuk54, Again, not a medic, but I had it done and no trouble for years. Currently putting off going to the doc as I suspect another is on the cards - but that was a hiccup in the summer with small child on sticks!!!! Do as much work on it as you feel able. Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have, but on my shoulder, not my knee !

Absolutely zero help I know, but on the positive side, I've never had any problems since !
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jonpim, BUPA , the Boot's equivalent of the medical world.
snow report
alanuk54, Yes , more than once. Your surgeon should have given you instructions though.

A simple 'flush' should have you back training very quickly - however you do say some 'minor tears' ; given recovery depends on how minor and what the 'tears' were to, the only real program should come from your cutter-upper I'm afraid. Good news is that unless you have a history of ligament/patella damage and various ops then recovery seems, from my experience, and others I know to be a lot quicker and INCREDIBLY beneficial compared to the 'old' techniques ( one of which I have a legacy from).

I'm nearly as old as you and all other things being equal you should definitely be skiing again by end Feb.

Edit ( and a little tongue in cheek) Having re-read your post : Stiff knee is good ! ( It's when it's floppy you need to worry !), only worry ehen the knee swells up , not when it's going down - and that can take longer than any residual pain ( in my experience)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy