Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cheap Resort, Close to Geneva with good Apres

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, long time lurker on snowheads-first time posting.

Anyway, having been itching to get back on the slopes since last year, I have been scanning the flights everyday to Geneva.
The prices have dropped and it's looking like I might be able to get a week away with my girlfriend on the 9th of March.

Which resorts would offer cheap accommodation for a couple, with decent apres ski. Have skied Morzine the last two times I've been away, so would like to try something different.
Recommendation of accommodation would be appreciated too.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Chamonix?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Which resorts would offer cheap accommodation for a couple, with decent apres ski.

The obvious place in the same neck of the woods is Chamonix - most other resorts in the area are not exactly famed for their apres ski. they are, however, famed for being pretty busy in the Paris school holidays, which end on 16 March. wink

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 12-02-13 18:37; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cheap accommodation during Paris hols? You can probably drive to Austria.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 13-02-13 10:28; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What about Alpe d'huez? Stuck with the dates unfortunately and Geneva is the only option as we are flying from Belfast. If you can recommend good cheap accommodation in Chamonix I would be willing to give it a go?

We were in Morzine on the same date last year and others in the group found all the kids annoying, we just ski around them-doesn't bother me much really.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Edit: We could also possibly do Sunday 24th of Feb - Friday 1st March. Anyone any suggestions that would suit the bill? Looking somewhere cheap, but cheerful. On the apres, not really a massive factor as there will only be the two of us?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Morzine?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
B1g_browner, Book the time off, be packed ready to go, and wait for a last minute bargain. Sometimes you're are very lucky... Eg See similar to http://www.skibeat.co.uk/ski-beat-offers.asp or http://skiolympic.snowsystm.com/blog/, Nothing on there ATM for your date but keep an eye out from two weeks before to a couple of days before.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
we are going out of Belfast the same week. Flights are getting silly cheap. Accommodation isn't. We might have to go TO Shocked
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
It's hard to tell what you're looking for as you've contradicted most of the conditions in later posts!

24th Feb will be even worse for price, the only way you will get "cheap" is to go 16th march or later

Alpe d'huez is not close to Geneva, probably one of the furthest! I assume you'll get a car so nowhere is out of reach. Have a look on the resorts own websites for apartment rental. Although its a big ask for 9th March as its French holidays, any chance you could look at 16th March there will be a BIG price difference. looking through lesmenuires.com apartments for two drop from 390E on the 9th to 330E on the 16th, but looking at http://reservation.les-sybelles.fr/fr/hiver/index.htm#top prices go from over 400E to a wide selection of apartments in the 200Euro range for the week of the 16th (the best being 188Euro for les Bottieres ok a little on the edge of the area, but you did say "cheap"!! Shocked )
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
B1g_browner, Escaping the crowds, drive through the MB Tunnel and try Champoluc. About 2.5 hours from GVA.

Not nearly as affected by French holidays, something different. Half board in a hotel around GBP500 each e.g. http://www.booking.com/hotel/it/albergo-villa-anna-maria.en-gb.html?sid=26a18940628e348aac4b3615b69094a8;dcid=1;checkin=2013-03-09;checkout=2013-03-16;srfid=e52c5304baaa4907ce024c1a4efd60f3d160bef1X4

Not far from centre it doesn't look (and if it's the one I think it is).
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Think I have found an option of accommodation for the first date in Chatel. Does anyone have any knowledge of it-in terms of the town itself? know its easy enough access back into the portes du soleil area for the skiing.
Thornyhill, flights on the second date I mentioned are going to be around £120-£130 for the both of us!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Chatel is a nice town from what I've seen. The skiing closest to the town itself is fine, but the lift structure in that part of the pds is the poorer relation.

There is a free bus to link up with the Avoriaz/Morzine/Champery areas via Linga or pre de la joux, which can be a bit crowded first and last thing. However in my view the skiing is much better in that area than in super chatel, morgins and champoussin.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It wouldn't bother us having to get the bus to ski the Avoriaz side. Also never skied the other side of Chatel so would be nice to ski/see that side too. Recommendations for cheap transfers to Chatel would be great too, if anyone has them? Also what's the town itself like if anyone knows?
Thanks so much for the advice so far guys!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
B1g_browner, i'd check out snoozeboy He has an apartment in Chatel so might be able to either sort you out with better accomm or give you all the info you need on it... His link is here... Smile

http://www.chatelaccommodation.com

I'm off there on Friday. Smile (Chatel, not his accomm)
snow report
Will do at work tomorrow AlpineAddict, cheers.
You been to Chatel before, whats the town like for food/pubs?
snow conditions
B1g_browner, Some decent restaurants at all price points in Chatel. Vieux Four amongst the best. Two large bars (Tunnel and Avalanche) in town which attract a lot of Brits and have a "pub" feel, quite a few other bars that are more French. One nightclub (I've never been).

I love the area. The skiing from Pre La Joux or Linga is better than Super Chatel and gives quicker access to Avoriaz. It's true the lift infrastructure is not as good at Super Chatel, Barbossine, Torgon, Morgins but there is still some good skiing in those areas and it's the kickoff point for the clockwise circuit of PDS.

We're out for our lads trip that week. It'll be busy as it's the second half of Paris hols but only a third of France, no Brit or Dutch school holidays so it should be OK.

From what I hear the snow is in great shape and from past experience even if there is no more by 9 March it will still be OK. I'm out there from this Saturday so will report back!
latest report
B1g_browner, First time mate... But been to the PDS loads... Will let you know what I think when I get back Smile
ski holidays
Hotel that I was looking at was full when I contacted them for the end of Feb dates so might just leave it till the end of March anyway-avoid all the congestion! Thanks guys for letting me know about Chatel anyway!
snow report
B1g_browner, Just got back from chatel... Great week with wall to wall sunshine on amazing snow Very Happy What more could you ask for... Village is lovely, if not a bit spread out (lifts up), however, the bus set up is brilliant. Never has to wait more than 10 mins to get either the A or E bus... (needed for lifts and home)

Found several decent bars but fave was actually a French one, opposite the carousel (cant remember the name) and loads of good places to eat... Not sure about Avalanche or Tunnel bars as were empty when in them... But I am sure later at night they picked up...

Hope u have a good one buddy
ski holidays
B1g_browner, Have a look at glocals.com and seacrh activities, skiing groups to see if you can join a crowd on a pre-booked weekend. If so, sign in and join (free so matches your cheap requirement) They are pretty social and cheap ish, especially if you can opt for any transport/lift arranged.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy