Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmet or wherever Cameras

Poster: A snowHead
Any objective views on best place to mount an helmet / mini video camera. I have a cheapish ebay one.
It has a clip which will easily mount onto my jacket pocket flap, although on a qucik test at hemel slope a) it vibrates a bit, and b) due to my less that flowing style, it does swing around a bit as I turn (some of that maybe due to the relatively tighty confines of hemel.

But would it be better mounted on helmet as you tend to keep you head stiller than your chest? Downside is that makes it a bit vunerable if you wipe out.

Any thoughts / experience of "camming"?

cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
t4tomo, We get very good results with a bullet cam mounted on a goggle strap. What you see is what you film.

No vibration, stable picture.

Snowboarding - if that makes any difference. Probably more wipeouts than skiing.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you're filming others then i've always preferred a helmet mount because it'll give you a point-of-view image, If you can see the subject you're filming then they'll be in frame. Your head in naturally the most stable part of your body too, so least vibration.
For a different field of view, try mounting on a ski pole or mounting on the back of your glove.

For the best results though, think through your shots before you go and try to get them, rather than just filming everything. 3 minutes of interesting footage is better than 2 hours of dull footage.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
mines nota bullet its one of these
[/url]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140911752932?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649[url]

but goggle strap sounds promising, it comes with a few mounts plus a safety lanyard so one of them should work with the goggles. That sounds better than stuck up on top of the lid.

I'm not snowboarding - I'm over 40 and as such have no interest in that particular pursuit Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think that a helmet-mounted camera will provide an unwelcome point-concentrated force should there be an impact be in line with the camera. Maybe not that likely, but even so I would not wish to have an on-top helmet mounted camera.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
t4tomo wrote:
I'm not snowboarding - I'm over 40 and as such have no interest in that particular pursuit Very Happy

As someone who didn't start boarding till his 40s . . . you're missing out on a lot.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As somone who didn't start boarding till his 50s . . . you're definitely missing out on a lot.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi t4tomo. Take a look at my vid I made recently for ideas about different camera shots. I spent ages before I went skiing watching videos on youtube to see which different mounts worked well and where people had mounted them. Personally my favourite mounts are on the chest (so your jacket pocket mount would look good) as you can see the tips of skis and poles etc in the shot which adds to the overall effect in my opinion. I also liked the mount on the end of the pole and on the ski boot (where the strap is). But just have a look at the various videos on youtube and you will soon get a feel for what does and doesn't work.

http://youtube.com/v/wfrM5dr1frw
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Masque, You beat me to it. Seems like a number of us started late. Mid life crisis maybe Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
smithy05, Maybe a chest mount only works well if you are an adult and fairly tall. My son was very disappointed after skiing loads with a chest mounted camera in its specially designed chest mount not get any decent footage, but he was only 9 at the time!!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Megamum, You could be right, I am 6ft 5 so that would probably help!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
achilles wrote:
I think that a helmet-mounted camera will provide an unwelcome point-concentrated force should there be an impact be in line with the camera. Maybe not that likely, but even so I would not wish to have an on-top helmet mounted camera.

I always thought that a camera mounted on top of your lid would either break off or impale your brain in a crash. Was watching some lunatic doing the VT sleigh run today with a helmet mounted go pro. He wiped out big style several times. (Having done the run myself, I can confirm that when it goes wrong, it goes horribly wrong Happy sleigh becomes trebuchet.)

Camera was still working and pointing in the same place when he reached the bottom.

Pole mounts give some weird footage. Your hand becomes the centre of the universe and everything else rotates around it.

Bullet cam on the goggles works well. It will be looking where you are looking.

I met an instructor in Killington who put a gyro-cam on the back of your ski for lessons. Made for amazing viewing. I can't find a decent gyro cam ski video, but this sort of shows the equivalent for lean angles on a bike.

http://youtube.com/v/Slx0EmJo85c
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Personally I like a chest mount - as Smithy05 says, you see your pole and skis a lot more than if it's on your head, and it tends to be more stable - see http://www.sportscamonline.com/skiing/gopro-chest-mount-harness/ But the key thing to making an interesting edit is to mix up the mounts, and be sure to include footage of others skiing, not just point-of-view stuff.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
For snowboarding I like the pole cam. Here's some of mine shot that way:
Snowboarding in Blue River 2013 from phil 45464
https://vimeo.com/57270311
To me, this is the angle which gets closest to how it is riding the stuff.

Poles are also good for "follow cam" stuff, although that's easier for a skier to shoot as it's harder to maintain the correct speed and position with one board. Here's my mate Don, on skis, using the polecam and GoPro3:

http://youtube.com/v/DnO6YPKE2B8

For skiers, the central helmet position seems to work well too, especially off piste (where you don't need to look over your shoulder).

I've not seen any footage I like shot with a chest mount There's a "parrot mount" (on one shoulder) too, but I've not seen that work well either.

There's no real safety issue with any of these things, although if you feel there is then of course don't do it.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thornyhill, awwww damn you for making me research self levelling camera mounts.
snow report
Best imho is not a single best place to affix the camera, but the use of a variety of different locations. Makes a vid more interesting. Get some pointing backwards too to see your mates following and the rooster tails too. Get something showing the skis/bike/whatever working away. etc...

Chest harness is probably about the most stable (especially so when doing other pursuits like mountain biking).
snow conditions
Goingto have to agree to disagree on the chest harness. Over the years i've tried head mounts, shoulder mounts, back-of-the-hand glove mounts, pole mounts and board mounts, and IMV head mounted at eyeline at a rigid point rather than gogglestrap gives most stable shot as the head is naturally stabalised by the rest of the body. Of course you end up pointing the camera wherever your head turns so you have to factor that into your filming style, but for stability, field of view and flexability of filming, the head has always given me the best shots.
ski holidays
cad99uk wrote:
As somone who didn't start boarding till his 50s . . . you're definitely missing out on a lot.

Masque wrote:
t4tomo wrote:

As someone who didn't start boarding till his 40s . . . you're missing out on a lot.

Definately midlife crisis boys and severe loss of dignity Very Happy

Thanks for the advice above- think I'll try mixture of chest clipped to the pocket and attached to goggle strap with some elastic or something
snow conditions
t4tomo, Cable ties and sticky velcro will be your friend.
Work out how you can leash the camera too, so if your mount gives way you won't lose it.
snow conditions
Also I used a lot of double sided tape and rubber strips to widen my ski pole, ready for the mount.
latest report
smithy05 wrote:
Also I used a lot of double sided tape and rubber strips to widen my pole, ready for the mount.

FIFY

wink
snow report
Haha, very good Chasseur!
latest report
Competition on Facebook to win a Drift HD Ghost here: http://www.facebook.com/andorraresorts/app_190322544333196
snow report

http://youtube.com/v/AZMewiqN8pQ

Got a ski mount and pole mount in this video:)
snow conditions
Steelspoon,

and a Teletubby mount , judging from the shadow at 1 min 10 sec wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy