Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

second ski trip, booked seperately to La Tania, - tips/advice?

Poster: A snowHead
Hey,

Me and a group of 4 others have booked a week in Chalet Christine, in Courchervel La Tania.
I've heard good things about this place, and its our first trip there. Last year we went to Courmayeur with Crystal.

My first question is about the ski school (last year we just went through Crystal so was easy).
But this year I need to book it myself so... Is there more than one? are they any good? Recommendations? How do I book... just walk in on day one? or do I pre-book?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi nick9one1, Why use a ski school? I have used both ski schools and independent ski Instructors and the independent instructors have won every time. When I ski now I always book a couple of hours with a private instructor. There is a great one based in the 3 Valleys - Claude Decagny, www.snowarea.net - he is one of the instructors on the EoSB.
If you are all about the same level you can share him, it really is in their interest that they deliver the best lessons you can have, because they want you to use them again if ever you go back.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Check out www.latania.co.uk - it's got all the info you'll ever need on the resort. PS - locals don't like the name Courchevel-La Tania, it got dropped due to objections - they're just good old La Tania! Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Unfortunately we're all at different levels.. so instruction on a one to one basis seems quite expensive. I've had a look at the website ^ and it seems a half day is 280 euros.

On the other hand, group instruction is around 200 euros for the week (few hours every day). This is a lot more affordable.

I had some really good group tuition in Cormayeur last year, groups were small, cost was under 180, and would really like the same again!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for that Aud, I've had a look on Magic's site and sent them a message regarding booking. Hope they are as good as they sound!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

When I ski now I always book a couple of hours with a private instructor

Nice that the "rich" drop by here every now and again...... that couple of hours cost the same as the rental for the apartment (sleeps 6) on my next holiday!!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If anyone has any recommendations for any of the following schools please let me know!

The national Ecole du Ski Français (E.S.F.)
Magic
Snow Limits British Ski & Snowboard School
New Generation Ski and Snowboard School
Snoworks Ski Courses.
TDC (The Development Centre)
SKI PROGRESSION
SKI EXCEL
Momentum Snowsports
Snowball
The Snow School
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
In La Tania at the moment and several of our group are having lessons with Magic - 6 year old in group lesson, adult near beginner in group lesson, 2 adult intermediates sharing private lesson. All are happy.

The person in ESF is less impressed.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
andyrew, Envy is the most stupid of vices, for there is no single advantage to be gained from it. ~Honore de Balzac. I am not rich, neither did I say that I did not share the lessons with other people.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
nick9one1, if you are definite you want the lessons then I would pre-book there will be no advantage to waiting until you get there and a risk that your preferred company (which every you decide on) may be full.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My personal experience of New Generation (in Vallandry) has been excellent. I found it very helpful to have the mechanics of skiing explained to me, rather than a series of copy me drills. Group sizes are small, too. A friend has just got back from a Snoworks course in Tignes which she said was amazing - but I've no experience of them myself.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I teach for New Gen in Meribel (and occasionally teaching a lesson from La Tania) so am clearly biased. But while all ski schools will have clients who can say nice things about them, New Gen is the only one I know of which has all customer feedback visible: http://www.feefo.com/reviews/New-Generation-Ski-and-Snowboard-School/?logon=www.skinewgen.com

That way you can read about what customers of New Gen La Tania have thought of their lessons so far this season to help you decide, and can leave feedback after if you do book with New Gen.

Have a great time when you come over! The snow is fantastic at the moment (quantity and quality), and the weather is hopefully brighening up for the rest of the week.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
nick9one1 wrote:
If anyone has any recommendations for any of the following schools please let me know!

The national Ecole du Ski Français (E.S.F.)
Magic
Snow Limits British Ski & Snowboard School
New Generation Ski and Snowboard School
Snoworks Ski Courses.
TDC (The Development Centre)
SKI PROGRESSION
SKI EXCEL
Momentum Snowsports
Snowball
The Snow School

I think the general standard is good and a poor or overpriced operation won't last long.

ESF - my teenage kids use ESF and we rate their operation in La Tania.
Snoworks - I've just got back from a weeks backcountry course in LT with Snoworks and their a great outfit. I don't think they do the type of lessons you're looking for.
Magic - we have used magic in the past for private lessons and they have been excellent.

Personally I haven't heard anything bad about any of the outfits you've listed. The benefit with ESF of course is that different abilities can book part day lessons all running at the same time.

Good luck.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Our eldest (this year 5) went for his second year of 5 day x 2 hour group lessons with Momentum last week and they were fantastic.

Also a few of the people in our chalet did a couple of short private afternoon lessons with them once or twice during the week and were very impressed, saying they quickly pulled out technique issues and working on them.

I've also heard good things about Magic, one of my party in a preivous year did a 1/2 day private with them.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
nick9one1, a few weeks ago, several of us in my family/friends group, had private lessons with Magic - we were all pleased. Our complete beginner split her week between private lessons with Magic (should have been group but she was the only one in the class) and ESF - she was equally pleased with both, although I would not have recommended group lessons with ESF due to past disatisfaction in other resorts. I have heard other positive feedback for private lessons with ESF, probably equal to the negative feedback from group lessons. I have always thought that was due to a) numbers in the group classes and b) ESF's apparent liking for mixing English and French speakers in the group
snow conditions
I took a party of 27 to La Tania in December (thanks Anniepen, ). We had a few complete beginners in the group and I organised four hours each of beginner ski and snowboard instruction from Magic. Everyone thought that the instruction was terrific and by the end of the week two of the absolute beginner skiers were competing to see who could be first down a black run. Your mileage may vary Very Happy
snow report
I have visited Courchevel the last 2 years (1650 and then 1850 this year). Several in our group had lessons with New Generation and all found them to be excellent.

The groups are small and the instructors properly assess your skiing ability to ensure you are in the correct level. They were also strict with people who missed lessons and told them if they fell behind they may have to move down a group so they didn't slow the progression of the rest of the group.

This was only my third week on the slopes and I was skiing a black run in my lesson towards the end of the week which for someone that often suffers with confidence issues on the slopes was great improvement. Not that my lovely instructor gave me much choice, but sometimes we all need a push in the right direction! Very Happy
snow conditions
nick9one1, another vote for New Generation, stayed in Christine a couple of years ago, had a good time the guys from Ski Amis will show you how to get down to the resort via the apartment block next door. Drop into the http://publeskilodge.com for a bit of après, there is a great restaurant above La Tania, Le Bouc Blanc (top of La Tania gondola), amazing views, the foods not bad either, also a nice place to stopmforma "van show" on the way back. The resort manager used to be Ralph bit of a character, but a good bloke and very knowledgeable especially on eating on the mountain.

If you need to rent gear, sports 2000, actually called ski higher where pretty good
snow report
Thanks for all the replies!

I didn't actually realise there had been so many.

I've decided to go with magic and booked a weeks tuition for 200 euros. They sound pretty good and the groups are limited to 7.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy