Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Champoluc, Monterosa - Rifugio Belvedere

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Quick review in case anyone is looking - we just returned from 4 days skiing in Champoluc in the Italian Alps and have only good things to say about it. The village itself is very small but we didn't see much of it as we stayed in a mountain hotel, 2400m up, called Rifugio Belvedere. They only have 4/5 rooms so breakfast and dinner was 10/12 people in the main bar area, and while the breakfast was fairly limited the dinner, all four courses every night, was outstanding and great value. The guys who worked there were great, especially Francesco who I can't speak highly enough of. Après ski at our place was widely known, from 3-5pm the music was on and the bombardino and beer flowed, all until the police arrived at 5/5.30pm every night and asked all those who weren't staying at the Belvedere to finish their drinks and think about weaving home as the lifts were closed.

As for the skiing you will read that it only has 50km of piste - that was fine for us on a 4 day break and we would have been fine with a week of it too. Mainly reds they seem to mainly be of the long, sweepy wide variety and as intermediate skiers at best we had a great time. Apparently the off piste is brilliant, I just can’t comment on it. During the weekdays we had the slopes to ourselves, and I am hardly exaggerating, you could go an hour without seeing anyone other than a lift operator. At the weekend it got busier with the locals skiing, but no more so than the big French resorts on an average day.

Before we left we read an outstanding review of the slopes and surrounding area here http://www.j2ski.com/ski-chat-forum/posts/list/13758.page which I recommend if you're thinking about it. If I can help with any questions let me know.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Skippyman, Thanks.
You could have post in this thread: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=93086#2231212
Nice thread about the area.

I think they claim the size of the whole Monterosa are is well over 100km.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
They recently halved the claimed amount of pistes apparently, although my units were off, it went from 100 miles to 50 miles. Still plenty enough for me!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Skippyman, not quite a rounding error then? Wonder where they put them.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you want to stay in a Monterosa refuge another option is the Rifugio Gabiet where I've stayed a few times. A bit bigger than the Belvedere, mountains of food, roaring fire, very chilled.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Skippyman, My son and I have a 4 day long weekend arranged for mid March and based on excellent reviews, have also booked into the Rifugio Belvedere. We only get into Milan around 19:45 so by the time we have our luggage and hire car I don’t expect we will be in Champoluc before 10pm. I know we have to get the Crest gondola out of town and then somebody from Rifugio will fetch us via snowmobile. I have few questions you may be able to help me with.

From what I can find out the Crest gondola runs in the evening, on the hour. We probably won’t make the one at 22:00 but there is a final one at 23:00? I am guessing/hoping the ticket office is also open at those times?

Also where did you buy your lift passes for the slopes from? Is there one at the top of the Crest gondola i.e. where we will ski down to on the first morning?

Thanks in advance.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rdwags, it looks like there are evening runs up to Crest, 22h00 and 23h30 - but have you confirmed this absolutely for the evening of your arrival?

Also, have you checked with the Belvedere that they'll collect you? It is not walking distance.

I wouldn't assume that you can buy tickets at that time of night...

And I don't recall any point of sale at the top - so your first task of the day will be to ski to Champoluc and buy your ticket. Luckily it's all downhill from the Belvedere Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You can ski down to the bottom of the Crest gondola and buy your tickets from there, it is all downhill, one blue run, Belvedere, and then a red to Champoluc, not overly difficult but can be a little icy first thing, the Del Bosco. However, you can buy your ski passes direct from Giacomo at Rifugio Belvedere. They register you on the internet and provide the cards - so far so good, but the only time we did this it didn't work, probably dodgy satellite internet connection, so had to persuade the two lift operators required to get back to Rifugio that we weren't chancers, Giacomo then rang the men at Crest Gondola who had two more sent up from Champoluc. It probably only cost us 40 mins but was a little tiresome. If possible, ski down and get the passes from the bottom of the gondola in Champoluc. is my advice.

Do check the crest gondola on the day of your arrival, or ask Belvedere to, they have a good relationship with them, and Belvedere will collect you, they can use the snowmobile anytime that the lifts aren't open, so before 9am or after 5pm - remember this on your last day, you may need to pack and ask them to drop your suitcase down before the lifts open.

It can also get very cold in Champoluc village, it has a lot of shade, and you won't be down there every day to start the car so don't get a diesel. a €120 euro taxi ride to Turin was our fate!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Skippyman, I'd be astonished if you can get a petrol car. Buy some winter additive near Milan or put a few litres of petrol in once you'ce driven a bit. The additive is probably more predictable.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I had booked a petrol car - we were then offered snow chains or a diesel 4x4 Panda at similar price, so I went for the diesel as I hate putting on snow chains. This was Avis at Turin airport. Oh, and as some nice person stole my satnav a week before we left I had to hire one - at €16 a day! I could have bought one for that.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Skippyman, wow. I am astonished (re petrol car)! Happy - bvgger re GPS - ridiculous price.

Was amused one weekend when chums arrived in diesel car and it ended up jacked up over an open fuel burning space heater to be thawed out.

What could possibly have gone wrong?...
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name, I have already checked with Giacomo at the Belvedere and they will collect us from the top of Crest when we arrive. Where did you find the Gondola evening time table?

Skippyman, Thanks for the heads up re the car, hadn't considered that. I have booked an Astra Estate which I guess will most likely be a diesel, I'll check with Avis. Also I would hope the temperatures at the end of March are not that cold Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rdwags, on the area website. NB temps overnight in March can easily be cold enough to thicken diesel.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The hire car companies ask you to run the engine for 5 minutes every day, which isn't easy when you have no need to return to the village whilst staying on the mountain, so buy some additive and top it up when you park up, obviously when you get the car it will be full so will need to run awhile first. Enjoy, and tell Francesco we said hi (Steve and Sinead). Giacomo is a nice guy but obviously the businessman, Francesco is just downright lovely!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy