Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advanced piste ski recommendation please

Poster: A snowHead
Hi. New to the forum but been lurking around for a while. I'd appreciate some suggestions for a dedicated piste ski. I spend most of my time on a pair of Volkl Gotama's which I love and will take out in anything other than hardpack. My other ski's are K2 Apache Explorer's which I still like but I think I'm missing out having a pair of All Mountain skis as my piste skis.

I'm looking for a piste ski that is fun, manouverable, fast, good in bumps, etc. No off piste use required.

My skier profile is like this;

Ski always in 3 valleys.
Like to ski hard and aggressively.
I like really 'strong' skis (sorry, don't know how else to describe that one).
Height 5' 10"
Weight around 168 lbs (14 stone)

Any advice appreciated. I don't know much about race/carve/piste skis and my only thoughts so far are a pair of Tigersharks but that maybe because I'm hung up on Volkl's.

Cheers
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've got Volkl AC30's - I'm a wee bit taller than you and a big bit heavier.

They've great for skiing aggressively and nice and stiff too. The tigersharks are a more advanced version of them - can be hard work - I got a pair as rentals a few years back, you'd be wanting to try them before you take such an expensive plunge I'd say.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
168lbs is 12 stones?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've got Tigersharks and Mantras and love them both, Volkl make a really nice ski. If you like the Gotamas then I can't see why you wouldn't like the Tigershark.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I don't think you can go wrong with Volkl.

Tigershark one option. I'd go for a slalom ski myself though.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Head i-supershape Magnum for my money, best piste ski i've ever used, definitley a strong ski and packed with tech.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tigersharks. Coincidentally I happen to have a pair for sale if you want some.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
http://www.sport-conrad.com/page/product-detail/__/shop/prod/7421

http://www.sport-conrad.com/page/product-detail/__/shop/prod/7425

http://www.sport-conrad.com/page/product-detail/__/shop/prod/24899

http://www.sport-conrad.com/page/product-detail/__/shop/prod/7439

Blizzard Sport G Power Full suspension

Stöckli Sport Laser SL
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Atomic Race LT if you like carving big turns.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
DidierCouch wrote:
168lbs is 12 stones?

Sorry, school boy error - I am of course actually 196 lbs!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lizzard, What have you got, where are they and how much are you asking?? Sorry, can't see how/where to PM someone on this site.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Guys, thanks for all the advice and suggestions. It seems like there's quite a lot of love for the Tigersharks so I might just stick with Volkl. Having visited the Volkl website, I'm finding it difficult to work out the difference between the models. It seems like the Tigershark 10 feet looks like the middle ground but I'm buggered if I can work out what '10 feet' refers to or for that matter how the range slots together. Any suggestions on which model to avoid or go for?? Cheers.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Badgerpig, Brand new Nordica Spedmachine Mach 2 Power http://global.skipass.com/gearguide/nordica/speedmachine-mach-2-power-xbi-ct.html
in length 178 cms with Nordica 2S Pro branded Vist bindings. £175 delivered to you. OR, wait until after 25th Feb when I've used them for 3/4 days only and the price is £150 delivered.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
try Rossignol Experience 88
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
10 ft ,12 ft refers to the turn radius in their advertising but ??? Obviously not Puzzled

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 13-02-13 3:31; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Badgerpig, I used to have the 12 power switches and loved them to bits fastest skis I've ever owned the switch was a bit of a gimmick,I just ended up knackerd through skiing at warp speed all day. Very Happy
snow report
Badgerpig, Tigershark 10ft, 167cm, used about one season max, selling becasue I board all the time and there's no point in the skis sitting about doing nothing. Offers around 300€. They're in France, could probably arrange delivery for next time you're here.
snow report
I found Head iSupershape Titan great for aggressive piste skiing - the harder you pushed into short/medium turns, the harder it popped back.
ski holidays
meandrew wrote:
10 ft ,12 ft refers to the turn radius.

No, I don't think it's anything to do with the radius. Tigershark radius is around 14m which is expected.
snow conditions
10 ft radius !!!careful you could suffer from whiplash on those wink Laughing
latest report
Chrome finish with 10-feet radius, powered by titanium: the Tigershark lives in the passing lane The middle brother of the Tigershark clan. Unlike with the Racetiger, there's no differentiation between slalom and GS ski. The choice of ski instead reflects skier weight and style. Similar to the longer 11 Feet, the 10 Feet comes with a titanium deck and the iPT Speedride binding system for direct power transmission. This ski makes no compromises on the slopes. That's taken from their site but seemingly wrong ??????Badgerpig, Puzzled
latest report
My 175 tigershark 10ft have a 15.8m radius. I've no idea what the feet number refers to!
snow report
meandrew wrote:
Chrome finish with 10-feet radius, powered by titanium: the Tigershark lives in the passing lane The middle brother of the Tigershark clan. Unlike with the Racetiger, there's no differentiation between slalom and GS ski. The choice of ski instead reflects skier weight and style. Similar to the longer 11 Feet, the 10 Feet comes with a titanium deck and the iPT Speedride binding system for direct power transmission. This ski makes no compromises on the slopes. That's taken from their site but seemingly wrong ??????Badgerpig, Puzzled

I think they've just done it to confuse everyone - I certainly can't make sene of it.

So you loved the Tigersharks? Were they completely exhausting if you wanted to take it easy? Cheers.
ski holidays
meandrew, an inadequately briefed non-skiing marketing department?

Amusingly, if you look at the "Details" the radii are 13.4m. 14.8m and 16.4m.

I don't believe any of those convert to 10' ... LOLZ
latest report
under a new name, Yeah bit stupid really as errrr some people will take it as gospel haha rolling eyes
ski holidays
Badgerpig, It wasn't that you can't take it easy just the oppositie I didn't want to they just love going fast Laughing
latest report
Damn! My love of Volkl has been usurped by my love of a bargain!!

I've seen these "Dynastar Speed Course Ti + PX 12 12/13" on Sport Conrad at 369EUR. BARGAIN!

Does anyone know about these skis or used them? Found a couple of reviews and they were very positive. I was thinking of the 177cm model (or 9 inches in Volkl terms).
snow conditions
Badgerpig, That's the ski I was lining up next!!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
glp9, I'll take that as a recommendation kind sir.
latest report
Badgerpig, not sure if you had seen my post for skis for sale

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=97872

Sounds like exactly what you are after if you are a strong and aggressive skier looking for complete piste use.

Whether you are interested in my skis or not, I'd be cautious about going to 177cm length for a pair of race skis as they are generally heavy and takes a lot to muscle around. That's the mistake I made getting 166cm skis when being only 172cm (5'8'') in height. I think I'd need 1 if not 2 sizes shorter.

Good luck with whichever skis you decide on.
ski holidays
I like my HEAD iSupershape Speed skis. They feel heavy and strong, and I find them very stable at speed. Those Dynastar Speed Course Ti skis were on my shortlist too but I never tried them.

My dad liked HEAD iSupershape Magnum and Titan rental skis he tried recently. The Magnum has a softer tip (for softer snow) and is a little wider than the Speed, while the Titan is even wider with a waist of 78 mm.

Best of luck finding some great skis.
snow conditions
new_world99, No, I hadn't seen your post. Tipping the scales at 89kg I think the 166 would be too short. You've got me thinking though whether I should go for the 171 or the 177. Cheers.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy