Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skis for a newbie question: older pair of Salomon Crossmax 7

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I am new to the forum, and semi new to skiing. I live in the foothills of the Sierra Nevadas, near Tahoe, and our family is going to start learning to ski. I personally have skied about 5 or 6 times, so I am a beginner with a few skills (I don't just plow down the hill; I can parallel ski, more or less Smile.

Last summer, I picked up a pair of brand new Salomon Crossmax 7 180cm skis with Salomon 900S bindings at a yard sale for $40. These are skis from ~2003, and I can't find any info on them regarding their suitability for a new skier.

We went skiing last weekend, and the rental skis I used were about 160cm. I had a good experience with them, so the length difference is a concern. I am 5'10", 200#.

It would be great if these skis are fine to learn on as I got them for cheap, but I don't want to try to learn on a ski that is completely unsuitable for a newbie. If they are a ski I can grow in to, great. However, if they are going to cause me heartache, then I would rather pass them on and find a good set of true beginner/intermediate skis.

Any advice on the Crossmax 7 skis?

Thanks!

Todd
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ski technology has come on a long way in 10 years. The bindings are probably not indemnified anymore either, which I suspect is moderately important for you.

I'd get rid of em. I don't have any useful advice for any replacements, however.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The skis are suitable for a beginner/intermediate skiing on piste. The bindings should be checked. They do seem slightly too long which might slow your progress.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the replies. I had to google the indemnification issue, and the bindings are not on the current lists. I'll see if my local shop will work on them.

Again, thanks for the replies.

Todd
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Welcome to Snowheads. For someone weighing 200 lbs, 180 cm skis don't sound outlandish to me. For example, Rossignol would currently put you on 177 cm skis at your weight. Salomon would put you on 176 cm.

However, some very modern skis are easier to turn because of innovations like tip and tail rocker. If the Crossmax 7 skis are too long for you they will feel like they don't want to make a short turn and will only seem to work well when you ski fast. Snow conditions in your part of the world are different to the European Alps though, so the extra length might help you.

I am also 5' 10" but only 147 lbs and use 163 cm skis on groomed snow in Europe. When the snow is softer or there is more of it, I often wish my skis were longer.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy