Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Horrendous Journey Times between Chambery and Bourg St Maurice

Poster: A snowHead
We've just returned from a fabulous week in St foy. Everything was perfect apart from the journeys to and from resort. We had to queue for about an hour at the car hire office, it then took over 3 hours to drive to resort, getting back was even worse, taking 4 hours and 20 minutes. We took the Autoroutes and were driving with pedal to the metal when possible, there didn't appear to be any road works. Part of our group almost missed their flights. Allow extra time if you're making this journey.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We did the same journey 3 weeks ago and it only took us 1 and half hours both times.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
from now on it'll be very busy on Saturdays (probably worse than last Saturday as the French holidays haven't started yet). best to leave resort before 7 am or after 5 pm (and aim to avoid arriving in the afternoon).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We drove in and out of St Foy at New Year and had the same experience. The 'traffic control' lights near Moutiers seemed to be the culprit causing severe, and what seemed to me, unneccessary delays.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
philipb wrote:
We drove in and out of St Foy at New Year and had the same experience. The 'traffic control' lights near Moutiers seemed to be the culprit causing severe, and what seemed to me, unneccessary delays.

I'd agree they were certainly a major part of the problem. Does anyone know what the (supposed) purpose of them is?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I was told it was to control the flow of traffic into the valley single lane roads (at end of dual carriageway)but on the way out they were holding traffic in the valley and once through traffic was fine. Seemed pointless and a pain the a**e to me!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ChrisP3, it's simple. Someone in Moutiers had a bright idea about traffic flow based on partial and in any event flawed and biased observation - his mother wanted to get to the shops faster. It went to the local council where further personal and political bias was layered on to the original report (without checking if any of the facts stated therein were necessarily true becasue that would have opened up a whole new can of worms). Someone in the current ruling party's sister's cousin had a small civil engineering firm and would be VERY grateful of the work at that moment. They get the job but they really don't know anything about lights so they sub-contract that bit to a 14 year old second cousin who's 'good' with computery things but knows sod all about traffic flow and town planning. Everything goes up on time and in budget BUT they fail to test the sytem in real time situations as it comes on line in the late autumn and seems to work OK. By the time the winter weather and traffic start to pile up it's obvious that the idea has layers of flaws and becomes a political hot potato. The construction firm point out that the lights are working and suggest the original plan was flawed. The original planner counters that the lights may be working but that any fool can see they are working at the wrong phase for the junction, The contractor says' Who are you calling a fool?' and the whole thing kicks off starting a series of internicine local factions intent on wounding each other, physically or metaphorically At this point it becomes obvious that no one budgetted for ongoing maintainence or support and the whole issue is shelved until the next election, the original planner being sent to the parks and gardens department (total resposibility = the roundabout by the station) to salve certain egos where he sits 'til this day sulking and complaining to anyone who will listen that he is not a florist.

It's France - understand now?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
RattytheSnowRat, Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I hate those bloody lights.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lots of big resorts, one road in/out, uppity locals. Carnage potential immense. Better than the old days though (pre Albertville Olympics) when 9-10-11-12 hour transfers were routine.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ChrisP3, Those times are not that bad (I know I am not helping) but the next 3 weekends are going to be much worse. Not entirely sure about the reason for the lights - but there is an issue with traffic stopped in the tunnel and build up of unpleasant gasses - same at Le Tunel De Saix near Centron.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
blahblahblah, not as much as the original planner!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
RattytheSnowRat wrote:
ChrisP3, it's simple.

Laughing

Think we might look at the train next time.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
RattytheSnowRat, Smile Smile Smile Smile
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Although the lights certainly don't help, the vastly bigger problem is that the huge majority (not sure of the exact figure but it must be more than 80%) of changeovers are on Saturdays. Tell an American or Canadian that he can only stay in your apartment/hotel/chalet for blocks of 7 nights, and only arrive/leave on a Saturday, and he'll just laugh at you. And then go somewhere else.

We're just back from a Sunday-Sunday stay in Val d'Isere - quiet airport (Grenoble), quiet roads, skied on Saturday while everyone else was stuck in traffic jams. I won't ever travel to the Alps on a Saturday again.
latest report
the lights at Moutiers are to stop traffic away from the town and stop pollution/fumes......afaik
snow report
I understood the lights (bourg side of moutiers) was to control the traffic through Siaix Tunnel for safety reasons.
The last thing you want is a traffic jam in any tunnel.
snow report
Exactly Corduroy, that's the reason. Due to a nasty accident in the 80s it's been like that.
latest report
The Tarrentaise traffic flow system starts at Albertville and controls traffic flow up yo Val/Tignes. The original system was installed when the road was built for the Albertville Olympics in 1992 as Bode Swiller says above before then 10 to 12 hour delays weren't unusual. I can certainly remember being stationery for a couple of hours along the N96.
The system has been updated recently as an integral part of Osiris.
Quote:
PC Osiris, created during the Winter Olympics in 1992, is a shared service of the General Council of Savoie and the DIR Central East. It monitors more than 3,000 km of national highways and county of Savoy.

It has it's own website here http://www.savoie-route.com

In short if you are 'held' it is to smooth the flow elsewhere as a part of the bigger picture.

As you leave Albertville the Control Centre is on the right hand side just after the speed camera Toofy Grin

If you stop to think about it, all the traffic for some of Frances biggest ski areas has to pass through Moutier. 3v. Ek and Paradiski plus all the other resorts in between like La Ros, as well as the normal local traffic!
snow report
Boredsurfing wrote:

If you stop to think about it, all the traffic for some of Frances biggest ski areas has to pass through Moutier. 3v. Ek and Paradiski plus all the other resorts in between like La Ros, as well as the normal local traffic!

Not really thought about that before.... I will be one of the many people braving it Saturday!!
snow report
ChrisP3, It's always like that. Leave earlier. Once it took us 7 hours from Lyon. The Sat before Christmas the Gendarmes were stopping everyone to make them put on chains (even on snow tyres) which caused us to take 4 hours from Chambery.
Best thing is to travel midweek, if you can. Good luck everyone and take your sandwiches.
ski holidays
Boredsurfing, do you think the new road along the river in Albertville will make any difference?
snow conditions
Just back from a week in Tignes. Traffic was really bad coming down the mountain on Saturday. The queue started a few miles before Seez. One thing that surprised me was that no-one was using the smaller roads to avoid the traffic. You can get from Sainte-Foy (in the valley not the station) almost to Moutiers without using the main road. A lot longer, admittedly, but I for one much prefer being on the move and seeing some beautiful scenery rather than sitting in stationary traffic for hours on end.
ski holidays
Lockkeeper wrote:
Just back from a week in Tignes. Traffic was really bad coming down the mountain on Saturday. The queue started a few miles before Seez. One thing that surprised me was that no-one was using the smaller roads to avoid the traffic. You can get from Sainte-Foy (in the valley not the station) almost to Moutiers without using the main road. A lot longer, admittedly, but I for one much prefer being on the move and seeing some beautiful scenery rather than sitting in stationary traffic for hours on end.

I was..... it is a pretty fiddly route but you can go most of the way without getting too snarled up in traffic and yes it is like it most weekends..... as others have said leave VERY early or VERY late in the day Saturday to avoid. I think the back roads add at least 30-40 mins travel time but that is better than a multiple hour queue. The only problem is you have to go back on the motorway for the Siaux tunnel part!

The gendarmes will try and keep non local cars on the main road so if you go off the main route then stay off it or vice-a-versa.
snow report
Steve Angus, I went via Notre Dame du Pres which is a very long diversion but you come out the other side of the Siaix tunnel. Didn't see any gendarmes, fortunately.
ski holidays
If you have time you can go via Geneva towrds Cham, turn off for Ugine, past Crest-Voland, hit Ugine then hang a right towards Beaufort eventually exiting the French hinterland at BStM avoiding Anncey, Chambery, Moutier and Albertville. Takes a while but the sense of accomplishment in surviving compensates quite a bit. I guarantee no large queues but if you are unfortunate enough to hit a tractor or artic. on the road, you will curse me. I want to do it on a motorbike one day as it's a bit twisty in part.
snow report
Last half term we left Arc 1800, and this is our own fault because we forgot to get up, at 9ish. It all started trying to get out of the apartment garage, some numpty in a jeep people mover got stuck on ice half way up, had never put chains on before and all the frenchies just parked their cars up and went for another coffee. Anyway after that it took 14 hours to get to Calais, seemingly no reasons for all the pointless hold ups. Apart from the eejit that crashed into a toll booth.
ski holidays
The one time we attempted driving all the way, it took us 5 hours to get from Val to Moutiers. 20 hours in all to get home to Southampton. We can do Whistler door-to-door in 17...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
Boredsurfing, do you think the new road along the river in Albertville will make any difference?

Nope it simply moves the traffic jam out of the main street!
ski holidays
Lockkeeper, Very Happy There is also a local road from Albertville to Moutier and another from Macot to Bourg, but I hear stories that signs are missing and Police Municipal only allowing residents through wink
snow report
School holidays with lots of people travelling at the same time.
snow conditions
Lockkeeper wrote:
Steve Angus, I went via Notre Dame du Pres which is a very long diversion but you come out the other side of the Siaix tunnel. Didn't see any gendarmes, fortunately.

cheers - have wondered about that in the past - may try it sometime if I feel the need.
snow conditions
Having driven up to Notre Dame du Pre in the summer, I certainly would not willingly want to drive that way in Winter!

We simply leave 6.30am ish and have never been caught in the half term mayhem. (Obviously if in La Plagne proper half an hour earlier etc etc)

It would seem that the ideal is to be on the N90 at Aime before 7.00am
snow report
[quote="Boredsurfing"]Having driven up to Notre Dame du Pre in the summer, I certainly would not willingly want to drive that way in Winter!

You're not wrong. Endless hairpins form Notre Dame down to Moutiers. The road was clear though and a fun drive. I'm leading a motorcycle tour to Tignes in July and I think we'll have to give it a go Very Happy Be rude not to wink
ski holidays
Lockkeeper, Have driven both ways up and down I'm not sure which is worst. I guess up from Moutier in winter.
For the summer on the Bikes you must do the Petit St Bernard Pass over to Italy, start from Maccy D's in Bourg up to La Rosiere and then cross the border (photos at the old border post) and down into Italy. It's great in a car on a bike it would be brilliant Very Happy

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 13-02-13 17:31; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Boredsurfing, That one is definately on the list. We're using Tignes as a base for the week so we are aiming to do both the St Bernand passes, the Col de l'Iseran, Col de la Madeleine, a day trip to Turin to name just a few. Really looking forward to it Very Happy
snow conditions
Lockkeeper, Did you do it? Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy