Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Elliptical Cant adjustment

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello

Thanks to a lot of help from another thread I just bought some new boots, so far during ironing duty etc they feel great.

However they have cant adjustments on both sides of the boots. The fitter did not adjust them for me as they said I had pretty good alignment in my legs and when I flexed my knee was right over the front of the boot. Cool

I get home and notice that while the two inner cant adjustments are set almost identically on each boot (the boot is a Head Vector 120 for info and has a scale marked on the cant screw 0 in the middle and then a plus and minus mark at 90 degrees from the zero in either direction)

So the inner cant screws dials are both pointing at 0, the outer ones are set differently, I think 1 is at 0 and the other is nearly a quarter turn out and pointing at the plus mark.

So my questions is fresh out the factory should all the settings be at 0, or is the manufacturing process not accurate enough for every boot to be perfect so they have to set them to a central cant before they leave the factory and that explains the weird settings on the cant screws? Ie they have been adjusted to be as central as possible already.

I want to know as if its the case above I have nothing to worry about, if its not the case then one of three things happened in the fitting

1) by a miracle the cant adjustment although different in each boot was perfect for me out the box.
2) the cant is wrong, by by such a small amount that no one would notice and its not going to hurt me
3) the cant is wrong and ultimately may cause fatigue or issues when I ski.

appreciate your time taken reading this
g
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Small Bump

I have searched the forum for information on canting, and while there is a lot of good threads on how to set it up, there is nothing that specifically answers my question along the lines of do boots come from the factory set up central or not.

Would do my peace of mind a world of good to have a definitive answer.

Cheers
G
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
gordonrussell76,
Don't over think this too much.
Canting, or to be accurate, cuff alignment (canting is actually something that needs to be done under the foot either in the boot or under it). Don't ask why it says canting, it's a long story and starting to change!
It's a little odd that as standard both boots are different. I would suggest putting them to the same setting for now.
Is it going to hurt you? No, the adjustments are pretty small and in most cases it's rarely adjusted for Holiday skiers.
Can it help? The simple way cuff alignment or 'canting' works is the align the cuff with the angle of the lower leg to provide comfort and the best performance when transitioning from edge to edge. This is done by placing your insoles inside of the shell, without the liner and aligning the shell with your lower leg.
Do most shops do this? Truth is that unless there is a problem, most don't (although most should/could at least check) , however I think that shows how little it changes things.
Final answer - set them to the same standard setting and if you really want, take them to a decent ski shop and get them to check. If they look at you bluntly or just palm you off then you went to the wrong place!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Right

I think I know what happened here, based on some advice from both these threads, I thought I will set these back to zero.

The cuff/cant screw is attached via a allen bolt through an eliptical outer sheath or cam. ie both turn. You loosen the allen bolt, then turn the outer cam, as its ellitical this raises or lowers the cuff on that side. When I set this all to zero and went to tighten bolt, the tightening can cause the cam to turn due to the torque, you have to take care to hold the cam (a penny inserted in the cams slot did the trick) and prevent it from turning as you tighten.

So I assume what happens in the factory is when these bolts are tightened the cam screw turns to random settings.

I have reset to zero, but will go back to the fitter to have it all checked out.

Just thought I would put this up here so that anyone else buying head boots, or boots with an elliptical cuff adjustment can benefit from my experience.

Cheers
G
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
For what it's worth, I have a pair of these boots and I highly recommend them if you have a high volume or wide foot. Rock solid comfort.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy