Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best Resort to Experince Alps in the Summer

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

After last years aborted summer trip to the Alps (pregnant wife and Grandparent hospitalised), we are again thinking of venturing to the Alps for some summer fun.

Any suggestions out there as to where to head to - France / Austria / Switzerland? If so what resorts?

We are looking at potentially Belle Plagne with Esprit (added benefit of English speaking child care, and likelihood of other English kids for mine to play with), or maybe look elsewhere such as Tignes / Morzine / Les Gets. Skied once in Saas Fee so imagine that could be very pretty in the summer, and don't really have any experience of Austria.

We will be Mr and Mrs with 3 kids (9 year girl, 6 year old boy and infant born in January). Thinking of possibly self driving from the Midlands with stops on the way of flying and picking up hire car.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I enjoyed zell am see in July a few years ago. The resort was nice and busy as it was their high season. This gave all the bars, restaurants and town a really good atmosphere especially at night. Through the day the lake was busy with various events including a large paragliding contest and we got our mountain fix as well. We even got the bonus of a days skiing in 3ft of overnight fresh snow at the kaprun glacier. So would recommend this area. I also think alot of Austrian resorts give free lift access now if you also stay in the village in the form of a visitors card, so might be worth investigating this.
Also the journey down is on good toll free roads. We done the journey in my 40 year old campervan. There are not really any high or steep roads, even through the mountains, so if my old van can make it I'm sure most modern cars can.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I used to love L2A in the summer however that was from the perspective of a teenager, not sure with young kids.

L2A you can ski/snowboard in the morning then in the afternoon you can: sunbathe, swim, go on the summer louge, minigolf, mountain boarding, go ape type thing in venosc, rafting, canoing, walking, kiking, that scary cable hiking thing etc etc etc
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
daveqpr wrote:
. I also think alot of Austrian resorts give free lift access now if you also stay in the village in the form of a visitors card, so might be worth investigating this.

Zell gives 1 free trip on the Schmittenhoe lift with the visitor card whcih is free to guests (not all hotels offer the card so check first). That's worth about £20, plus a trip on the lake and other discounts.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Portes du Soleil do a very good promotion called the Mulitpass. For EUR1/person/day you can get access to lots of activities such as swimming pools, tourist trains, tennis courts, plus pedestrian access to the lift system. Combined with the very low cost of accommodation during summer in the Alps, I think it's excellent value.

http://info.chatel.com/www-rubrique_2-2136-uk-hebergement.html
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.

I'd much prefer to go somewhere like Zell am See, or the Portes du Soleil, than a high resort such as tignes or Belle Plagne - the more pastoral, lower, areas with trees and pretty chalets etc are much more appealing. If you like lakes, the Salzkammergut is also worth looking at - we had lots of great camping holidays there when I was younger. Depends how much you want in the way of "organised" activities, really. There are some wonderful, quiet, places to visit - one, which is much nicer in summer than in winter, is beaufort sur Doron, with plenty of fantastic walks in the vicinity and a very good outdoor swimming pool with slides etc. And it is nice to get away from the very ugly ski infrastructure. This is the Roselend lake - not a lift in sight. wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...

Chamonix is worth thinking about too - and having had to walk up above the Roselend lake it was nice to get a lift up the steepest part of the valley to the Grand Balcon - and on the day this was taken it was far too hot to have toiled up such a steep climb.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!

this is the "balcon" path on the other (Aiguille du Midi) side of the valley
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I like going to Chamonix in the summer. Apart from Balcons and Mt. Blanc it has a big advantage that it's actually a town so it doesn't appear dead in comparison with winter season.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We have done 3 summer holidays with Esprit at Chamonix, Tignes and Belle Plagne. They no longer offer Chamonix and Tignes I think. Be wary of staying in the higher resorts, we found it could be raining/fog/sleet in Belle Plagne and sunny down in the valley. Of the 3 resorts, we had the best time in Chamonix- nice town, nice weather, nice scenery, open-air swimming pool, wheeled-luge run etc, (although the hotel in Belle Plagne was very nice). A lot of the activities such as rafting, cycling are down in the valley anyway.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w, That is a nice looking hill in the background.

reded78, Almost any place in the Alps would be lovely. The ski resorts are really geared up for the summer trade these days. We usually have a long weekend in Les Arcs, (walking, mountain biking, mountain climbing, Parcour d'adventure, via ferrata, etc) and a week in the Dolomites (stunning scenery, via ferrata, rock climbing). It is getting to the point where I am close to actually preferring the mountains in summer
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We have loved our family summer holidays in Les Gets, St Gervais and Morillon with the middle place the most 'alive' in the summer in terms of shops, restaurants, bars etc., but all had enough for us (family of 4 with two boys aged 8 and 13 the first time in Les Gets, 5 years ago). We didn't want mountain biking or any climbing or similar, but loved the fresh air, stunning scenery for walks, mountain bathing lakes, trips to Annecy and Chamonix, and just the relaxed pace and lovely climate. None of us enjoy the baking heats of the Costas in July/August, but found the climate in the mountains much more suited to us - warm days but with a freshness.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
another vote for Zell am see/Kaprun.Did this about 5 years ago and there's lots to do and really fabulous scenery. We found the salzbergerland card was good value then, don't know if it still is http://www.salzburgerland.com/en/salzburgerlandcard/index.html
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
it's been quite a revelation to me that the weather in the mountains in the summer is so much better than in the UK.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w, I know - it's seemed to us that each time we've been in the Alps, the UK news has been all about the floods and torrential rain. We've seen some spectacular thunderstorms when there though, but all have happened at night! The following day, everything looks back to normal.
snow conditions
Stay low in summer. In Switzerland, Wengen is our usual summer destination. Loads of lovely places in Austria particularly in the Tyrol. Have had some really enjoyable summer stays in Chamonix too.

It helps that hotels etc are cheaper in summer. Some resorts also do a lift pass for those facilities that operate. Once again this will be much cheaper than winter.
ski holidays
telford_mike wrote:
It helps that hotels etc are cheaper in summer. Some resorts also do a lift pass for those facilities that operate. Once again this will be much cheaper than winter.

Yes, the PdS resorts have a Multipass for 1 euro pppd, which gives access to the lifts, swimming pools, bathing lakes etc., and can be a really good buy. Not all accommodation can provide it though, so if it's important that you have it, check before you book
snow report

I'd agree about staying low - it's good to get a lift up into the high mountains (or walk if you're that energetic) but nicer to stay down where there are trees and pretty chalets. This is autumn, actually, rather than summer - even more beautiful, if anything.

Boudin, in the Beaufortain, up above Beaufort.
snow report
Try these threads:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=89892
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=63424
ski holidays
Because I have an apartment in a ski resort, that's where I go. But if I didn't, I don't think I'd go to a "ski resort" for a summer trip.
snow conditions
I would go to Zermatt, the views are amazing and the village is pretty. The hotels are great (especially the Parkhotel Beau-Site and the Mirabeau). But I would fly and take the train.

Morzine is also great in the summer and you can go on day trips if the weather turns to Annecy, Yvoire, etc... Plenty to do for a family!
latest report
Murren in late June, the meadows are full of flowers and the view over the valley to the Eiger et all is out of this world.
snow report
Yes, Murren must be amazing - somewhere I've always wanted to go.
ski holidays
reded78, you also mentioned driving and stops en route. There is a sticky about that, but if it helps at all, we have driven 3 times in the summer. The first time, we stayed with my brother just outside Dover on the way out, and the ferry/drive straight to Les Gets. The second time, drove to just outside Paris, stayed in a cheap-and-cheerful chain hotel in a small town (Bussy St George) specifically because it was a stop on the train line between Paris and Disneyland; we had pre-booked day tickets to there and didn't tell the boys. The surprise and delight on their faces was worth the cost on it's own! The third time, we again drove to another town on that line (Torcy) stayed in a much nicer chain hotel, and took the train into Paris early next morning. A day walking around the city and then on the bateau mouche was lovely. After all three drives, I'd recommend an overnight somewhere to give you all a break, and a decent sleep, even if you don't take the opportunity of doing something en route. You then arrive refreshed.
snow conditions
yes, rushing down the autoroute through France makes much less sense in the summer. Lots of lovely places to stop.
ski holidays
reded78, I've been to Scheffau in Austria a few times for climbing, walking, rafting and brilliant canyonning. A very beautiful area
snow report
We went to Les Contamines last summer and had a great time.

Pics/write up here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2083912
snow report
I would second the Zell area. We did two summers staying at the Sport Kristall in Kaprun -good value family deals and lots to do in the area. Hotel has a car museum too which provided a useful diversion to my boys. Best to have a car if you go.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Austria in the summer is great. I have been a couple of times and loved it.

I have travelled to the Stubai Valley which was brilliant and a short commute from Innbruck. Lots to do like a day out to Innsbruck, The Dolomites and Bavarian castles only a couple of hours away.

The glacier is fantasic and the villages that line the valley always have loads of good tirol music, beer and food festivals. The toboggen in the valley was awesome as well!

The Wildschonou (Niederau and Auffach) valley is very pretty as well and Salzburg (2 hours) is a great day out. It was good to see the Kaiser mountains and the kitzbuhel horn also with in an hour away by car. The valley also has a great area card that allows you access to pools, museums and free lift passes for walks on the hills. Its a great valley to hop on a mountainbike for day trips.

Austria in the summer has always been a mystery to me. I have stayed in a hotel last year and me and my wife in our mid thirties were the youngest there? The place for me is a real walking, cycling, paragliding and climbing mecca and very pretty in the summer and i cannot understand how people of all ages don't explore it more.

You can get in the very good 4 star hotels very cheaply in the summer as well and have access to the pool and spa facilities if you want to relax now and again.

Its interesting as in March i will be Skiing in the new Ski Juwel area around Wildschonau and we will see the valley in both summer and winter seasons and it will be interesting to see the transformation!
snow report
Wow guys - many thanks.

Just off out for a to pick up eldest child and go for a curry and will wade through this lot tonight.
latest report
As "pam w" has already suggested the Beaufortain is a wonderful spot and away from the summer building sites of the big purpose built ski resorts. Around Lac d'Annecy is really beautiful with lots of things to do including for your children. You've got the lake and the mountains here.
snow report

Quote:

i cannot understand how people of all ages don't explore it more

In France, I've been struck by the opposite - the place is alive with families, sometimes including quite small children, walking and picnicking in the hills. I've even seen little 2 year olds, in sturdy walking boots, doing quite well, then getting carried on dad's back in a carrier when they're tired. And last summer I was gratified to see plenty of girls on mountain bikes - often out with what looked like their brothers and dads. Good to see. British families just don't seem to "do" the Alps in summer; they don't know what they're missing. The other thing that has struck me, very positively, is in walking some quite well beaten tracks in high summer, with quite a lot of families around, there's never any litter; French families seem less inclined to strew litter around than British ones.

But, as with their winter holidays, the French have very strict ideas about what constitutes holiday time. Towards the end of August everything up the mountain closes, the shutters shut and they take the money out of the ATMs and close the banks. That's when it's particularly good to be down in a valley town, with stuff going on.

I prefer June, actually, when there is little or nothing open in "resorts", because that's when the flowers are at their best, before the first hay cut. By August you have to get up to quite high altitudes to find lots of flowers. But the wild raspberries are just coming into their magnificent best.
snow report
pam w, I agree about June being the best time, but isn't that the same in most places
snow conditions
Had a week in Lech, Austria, a few years back. Was only going to stay the one night but it was so pretty, great low and high level walks, we stayed the entire week. Free use of the lifts so most walking was downhill! Just remember, it rains every day between 4 and 6!
snow report
Hi all,

Many thanks for the previous responses, just thought I'd update saying that we've just booked a 10 day trip to Morzine staying with Chilly Pepper chalets in their main chalet Au Coin Du Feu. They seem to get some brilliant reviews and the chalet looks to be a good size so hopefully some other kids for mine to play with. They also have an in-house creche for baby so that the rest of us can experience some activities.

Any activities or recommendations for Morzine and the surrounding areas much appreciated.
ski holidays
Alpe d'Huez on Thursday July 18th, crazy, crazy, crazy.
Cycling, Sir Bradley, bonkers double ascent, plus a million tribal Europeans all painting the road. Dutch corner has to be seen to be believed.
This is the 100th running of the Tour, and even their website has gone mad for this one: "The most significant change and, without a shadow of a doubt one of the highlights of this 100th edition: the Alpe-d’Huez will be climbed twice on the 18th stage."
This will be one of the biggest events ANYWHERE this summer, and the views over the peaks of the Ecrins from the upper bends are as big and beautiful as you're ever likely to see.
I of course will be bent over the handlebars, puffing my little pistons as hard as I can at the back of the field after a hard day's work as the mountain water boy. But I was pretty hot in Oman, no ?
This is good, about my friend Geoff.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b016lggd
ski holidays
Dolomites in Italy every time. Craggy pink coral peaks especially at sunset, lots of walking (try the Lagazuoi - Hidden Valley - between La Villa and Cortina for culture as well as walking), pretty little golf courses as well.
Seefeld in the Austrian Tyrol is another really pretty area in the summer.
Try the mountain pass from Italy into Obergurgl for stunning scenery and hairpin bends.
snow report
tessaventer, will put them n the memory bank for future holidays. What with this being our first summer trip to the alps and with baby in tow I just fancied something familier (been to Morzine a few times), and also English owned. Nearly headed for Zell am See due to posts above but have settled for a intro in Morzine.

mark cavendish, I'm going to have to take the bait regarding the name - is it?? You??
snow conditions
Oetztal would be a very good base, close to Innsbruck (airport), lots of walking, the glacier (is there summer skiing at Soelden? If not, Stubai is close enough), some of Europe\s best whitewater rafting on the river flowing through the valley (the Oetz), climbing, incredible spa (Aquadome in Laengenfeld), check out the Oetzi village where [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ötzi]'Oetzi the Iceman'[/url] was found, plenty of biking... Etc.
snow conditions
reded78, I doubt it, mark cavendish, was hot at the Tour of Qatar, the Tour of Oman is on at the moment and Cavendish isn't there. Should be at Volta ao Algarve that starts on Thursday though.

Would second his recommendation for Bourg d'Oisans especially if you can be out for the tour and want to get some riding in.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy