Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Munich to Serfaus by car - Fernpass or not Fernpass

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Morning
Hopefully be able to tap into your wealth of knowledge

Landing in Munich at 9 tonight and hiring a car for the drive to Serfaus, it looks from the forecast like there will be some snow, so how is the Fernpass route for a car with winter tyres but no snowchains (I dont want snowchains, the snow would have gone by the time I have worked out how to fit them and the weight would mean Mrs Monkfish couldnt take her straighteners)

Not sure whether to play it safe and go via the longer A12 route or to try the pass - I am a confident driver, so the only real issue would be the conditions making it impossible

Google maps reckons both routes take the same amount of time - but through a few searches on here the consensus seems to be the Fernpass is the best route to take - this still the case?

Cheers for any advice, be nice to get to Serfaus before 3am Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I picked our friends up last Friday at 8pm from Munich Airport and drove to Serfaus. Straight through the middle of Munich, Garmisch, Fernpass and into Serfaus before midnight.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Agreed - I drove to Serfaus via the Fernpass last February - unless it is snowing heavily (by Austrian standards) then it should be swept and open. Madeye-Smiley

If you've not been to Serfaus before - you'll love it - we did and are going back there next season (Ischgl this year). snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cheers for the info, will go for Fernpass, no point having a ski holiday without a bit of adventure Smile

Looking forwards to Serfaus, going to get the ski-6 pass and check out Nauders, Fendels etc, the joy of going friday night and coming back sunday night - 9 days skiing always beats 6!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Monkfish, Fernpass at that time of the night is good. No Dutch caravans / busses expected. I would definitely go that way. Serfaus is great. You will enjoy, unless mad apres is what you are after, in which case it may be a bit tame.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
For anyone elses info, it snowed all the way from Munich to Serfaus, I went over Fernpass and it was ok, but only just ok, if I wasnt a confident driver I would probably be booking in for some therapy right now, but as I do like a driving challenge I actually found it quite good fun! ...but next time it snows heavily I'll go the long route and be safe
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Monkfish, surely the drive up to Serfaus was a bit more challenging?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well actually stayed in the valley at the foot of Serfaus (cheap!) - but the drive up was never a problem through the week (though we only got a few cm on the days it did snow)

They seem to do a very good job of keeping the snow off the road, not such a good job of stopping rockfalls coming off the mountain and landing on the road though, that definately needs looking at before somebody gets seriously hurt
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy