Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Warning - Skimming Device Found at Aviemore ATM

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've just spotted over on Winterhighland that a skimming device was found on 4th Feb at the Royal bank of scotland ATM in Aviemore - where I withdrew cash two days previously Shocked .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-21320361

The police advise that anyone who withdrew cash in the previous few days should check recent account transactions with their bank. I have just done so and (so far Confused ) everything seems to be in order....(The only shock in the list of transactions being the cost of Mrs MA's recent hairdo....But she's worth it Very Happy)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There are various devices on a very high percentage of ATM's
Mostly they are devices that keep your card while a camera catches your pin, very few that actually copy your card

If you ever can't get your card into one that seems to be in service, be very careful using the next one along the road that does.
They block up a few and put a device on the only unblocked one.
The device is only on for a short time and is then removed. There is normally a hidden camera recording your pin.

Every day i unblock card readers on ATM's and removing the odd device that wasn't collected
We try new ways of stopping them but they just rely on people not being observant, being pissed or talking on their mobile.

Everyday i work on ATM's, I often have the front screen or keypad out and still people shove their cards in, often forcing them through because it doesn't take it automatically .
Even had people try to use one we had taken out and was on a pallet outside the store. Shocked
But then this is during the day, when the clever ones are at work Very Happy

Just be observant out there and if it looks odd, don't use it
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cheers Neville. I wasn't
Quote:
being pissed or talking on my mobile wink
- but had never considered that this sort of thing might happen - so was probably just being extremely unobservant. I still don't recall anything out of the ordinary.... Embarassed. Lesson learned.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
mountainaddict wrote:
I've just spotted over on Winterhighland that a skimming device was found on 4th Feb at the Royal bank of scotland

The RBS have been skimming the British public for years.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 7-02-13 23:27; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A high percentage of ATMs have devices on? Please tell more...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Dirty Gibson,
Not all the time. Devices are normally placed on ATMs that get used late at night but not too busy an area.
It may only be on the ATM for 10 mins.

Most devices catch just one card, you put your card in, enter your pin but the card doesn't come back.
a small strip placed inside the card reader catches the card and the guy behind you has seen your pin or has a camera device . you leave and he retrieves the card. within 5 mins they have taken out your maximum withdrawl . The device gets put back on and next mug comes along
Do that 20 times an night and it's easy cash.

most ATMs have protection against electronic skimming devices now, so this is the main problem now.
Some ATMs such as Barclays with the blue card slot and some others make it harder to use these

If you use an ATM late at night and it nicks your card, look closely at the card slot, it may come away if you pull at it.
If not and still unsure, cancel your card without leaving the ATM. if it has taken it properly it will be cancelled anyway

Just look up lebanese loop on Google
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Says most of it here

http://www.northeastfraudforum.co.uk/atmfraud
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mountainaddict wrote:
I've just spotted over on Winterhighland that a skimming device was found on 4th Feb at the Royal bank of scotland ATM in Aviemore

It was probably installed by RBS. They also run a skimming device called a current account. It relies on people not checking their statements. Got Ulster Bank (owned by RBS) statement in last week. A £220.00 'annual maintenance charge' had been applied. Called them to query it and they refunded it without question, 'cos it was a computer error.' I wonder how many people didn't call to query it?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Pity everybody is blasting the RBS - the BBC report says Bank of Scotland rolling eyes
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
its the Bank of Scotland accross the street from Tesco car park.

Considering the turnover of people through Aviemore I'm surprised it doesnt happen more often, I think this is only the second time I've heard of it (a much more regular occurrence is the ATMs running out of cash on busy weekends!!)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mountainaddict, I remember a few years ago at a Sainsburys ATM thinking "hm, something looks different" so I did ensure I covered the hand entering the pin. I wasnt paranoid enough to say something instore - but sure enough, a few days later, there was a story about it in the paper. I think most people would only notice something if it was a machine they used regularly.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

But then this is during the day, when the clever ones are at work

Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
good advice from neville. i worked for an ATM manufacturer (that dundee one, neville!) and being aware means i always check an ATM and always cover the keypad when entering my PIN. there are a number of ways of committing ATM fraud but they will require your PIN, so always cover up ladies and gents!

slightly more advanced than the lebanese loop is a mag-stripe reader attached to the card slot and this will require a small camera to be attached to the fascia as this more advanced method is designed to capture multiple card's details. manufacturers offer and some banks deploy fascia mounted devices over the card-reader to prevent fraudsters attaching their own. other functions include jitter, ie when your card is taken in, half way out then back in again. this is supposed to prevent anything attached to the card-reader from getting a clean read of the card's mag-stripe.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fascinating. You learn something new every day from snowheads. When I first saw the thread title the first thing that came into my head was a frisbee.

(and this isn't a clever joke, by the way - it really was!)
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Damn looked at this thread thinking it was a device allowing me to skim pebbles with enhanced proficiency down the beach
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy