Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski School in Arc 1800

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi we are going to Arc 1800 in Feb 2006. We have two children who have skied before aged 13 and 11. One is quite good the other a little nervous. Can anyone recommend a ski school for them to enrol in for the week? Also a good ski/boot hire shop.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mfamily2,
Welcome to snowHeads snowHead

In 1800 there are the ESF and Arc Aventures ski schools . The ESF gets quite a mixed response, whilst the international Arc Aventures seems to get more positive reports. My family found Arc Aventures to be friendly and the children enjoyed their lessons. There are several snowHeads who have positive views on the ESF as well.

Slightly further afield and probably not feasible is New Generation in nearby Peisey-Vallandry. They are quite a bit more expensive than the ESF and are very highly regarded (although I've never managed to book any lessons with them due to lack of availability Puzzled )

Haven't really helped you but beware large class sizes in Feb due to the French holidays. If the two children are at a similar level then I would definitely recommend them getting private lessons together. snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Went to 1800 earlier this year and enrolled my boys in the ESF,wasn't too pleased with them as one day my eldest (13) took a tumble,by the time he had righted himself the school had taken a turn and were out of sight,leaving my boy half way up the mountain,with no way of seeing which way was back to the resort!

The teacher took no head count on the way down and it was only when at the bottom,my youngest pionted out his brother was missing!!

Luckily some friends,by pure coincidence,where skiing past my son,who had been sitting in the snow for 10 mins and brought him down.

When i asked the ESF teacher what he was playing at,he gave me a Gallic shrug and said no worries as someone would have eventually found him anyway!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
mfamily2, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mfamily2, I don't have any experience of the ESF or Arc Adventures in Les Arcs, but I do have good experience of New Generation which is a British-run ski school based in Vallandry. If you are based in Arc 1800 it is possible to join ski school with New Generation, but only if you sign up for the classes which start at 11.30am - you wouldn't have time to get to the classes which start at 9.15am. If you book private lessons I think that NewGen can be a bit more flexible about where the lesson starts. If you do decide to go with NewGen you should book early as they are a small school and get very busy in February.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Many thanks for this. I am really trying to get my 11 year old to a similar standard and confidence as the rest of us. I don't fancy ESF as I have some experince of the Galic shrug and wasn't impressed. : Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar.org.uk, Hi thanks for the ski school advice. We are staying at Les Alpages de Chantel in feb half term week and I wanted to book ski hire over the net in advance. Inote that intersport have 3 shops in Arc 1800, one in Villards and two in Charvet. You don't happen to know with your local knowledge, which is most convenient for the apartments or is there nothing in it. Any other resort tips would be appreciated also like where to get lift passes etc, we have been skiing for four years now and are trying to become more independant and less reliant on tour operators. Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mfamily2, there's a Ski Set shop at Alpage du Chantel (located in building no.1, but I think they might also serve the other building, Le Roselend) which might be more convenient for you than hiring in Charvet or Villards, although I don't think you can pre-book via the internet. You can also buy lift passes and book ESF lessons at Alpage du Chantel on Saturdays (and perhaps Sundays) as the lift company and the ski school both seem to set up temporary sales points on transfer days.

There's not a huge difference in location between the Charvet and Villards centres, as they are just a short walk from each other. Although both centres are fairly close to Alpage du Chantel, it is quite a steep walk back up the piste to return to your apartment, especially if you are in building No.1. You might find that the free resort shuttle between Charvet and Chantel is a more sensible proposition, or a short drive in your car if you have one with you.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cheers for this will probably opt for the intersport shop at Charvet then and catch the shuttle bus. The kids can carry their own gear now, which makes a huge difference!!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The skiset hire shop in the first building is a good choice mfamily2 it's on the run 'home' and right by reception so it's easy to pick up/drop of stuff -we hired eqpmt on arrival there no problem (new year week) - I'm sure you can pre book? Try here: http://www.skiset.com

I never saw that transfer bus to be honest (stayed 8 days) and it is HELL of a hill by the way (and I was in the non MGM block 5 below the ones you'll be in)....We only went out twice because we just couldn't face the walk home!! A good tip though is to use the night skiing on tuesday and thursday to do your shopping so you don't have to carry it back up the hill - you take the lift up and ski DOWN instead - much better Happy Or spend more the 50E and the sherpa will do free delivery!

Other than the hike to the village though the Alpages du Chantel was fantastic - excellent ski in ski out and lovely apartments.
Arc Adventures is the better school in my opinion btw - would def. go with them. Ask about the 'pass and lessons and eqmt' pack - worked out very cheap a couple of years ago (love les arcs, been 3 times now!)

Have a great time!

aj xx
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hywel wrote:
mfamily2,
In 1800 there are the ESF and Arc Aventures ski schools . The ESF gets quite a mixed response, whilst the international Arc Aventures seems to get more positive reports. snowHead

I'm in Les Arcs now (Jan 06) and had a "lesson" today with Arc Aventures. I was not impressed. AA do 6 half-days but I got into resort too late for the first day, so they allowed me to join the group for 5 days and reduced the price. The group wasn't mixed, being composed entirely of French skiers except for me. The instructor chatted and joked with the French skiers and pretty much ignored me. When I asked him to repeat some of his instructions he said he would this time but the group was French so wouldn't do this as a rule. We then spent two and a half hours on a "follow me round the mountain as fast as possible" session. Needless to say I have cancelled the remaining lessons and asked for a refund. To be fair the receptionist was very friendly, understanding and apologetic and knew the instructor whom I was referring to. It sounds like he might be an exception rather than the rule, but that was my experience. I have to go in tomorrow to get my refund. We'll have to see...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My friend just did ESF ski school at 1800 last wek - she found that she didn't get on with the group lessons, hated them and didn't turn up for day 2. When she went to the office on wednesday they allowed her to convert to a couple of one on one lessons which she found fantastic - she even managed to get down the steep part of a red on her 4th day of skiing - only cause she couldn't be bothered to climb back uphill to the junction with the blue though hehehe.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy