Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Question ref bindings please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Am I right in assuming that the din range basically means boot size, or can these be adjusted to take a size 9 boot

Rossignol Axium 100 bindings with a din range of 2-7

Cheers in advance
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
din is the amount of pressure holding you to the ski and has not anything to do with boot size. 2_7 is a very low binding for an adult
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ah ok,

New bindings needed then , do you know what din I would need for an adult weighing 154lb or 11 stone
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I Would suggest that you are not an aggresive expert so 3_10 would do. Or 4_10 most work out to be around 5 or 6 IME
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks very much
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Probably bindings with DIN range 4-12 will suit your needs. 2-7 is too low. Your personal setting will be a function of the BSL of your ski boots, your weight, height and what type of skier you are. If you are over 50 you may substract 1, but most skiers I know don't do it, losing a ski at the wrong time can also lead to injury. Basically there is a trade off between retention and release. I think 5-6 is a bit too low for your weight, I am 8 st and use 6 normally and crank it up to 7 on powder days, but I am fairly aggressive and had experience last season of digging the snow for almost an hour looking for a ski. DIN settings calculator can be found here http://www.dinsetting.com/ . Also, let the shop adjust the bindings and fit it to your boots.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Esdel, for someone weighing 154 the din range could be anything form 4.5 to to 6.5, and asnever summer, has said if your over 50 you would subtract 1, you also need to check the forward pressure as well, a shop will do that for you
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Esdel, Having put my Numbers in above website It suggested 9.5 a ludicrous din. I set probably 20 a week so can base that opinion on some experience. Go to a retailer whom will have the latest guidance and don't ignore the over fifty move down 1 if you are, it's done for a reason, to protect older more fragile bones.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cynic, Why ridiculous? I know plenty people skiing on 11 or even 12. Salomon Guardians run 7-16 and is very popular this season. Shop advice is needed in any case as they would have updates. If you don't fall, your bones will be fine regardless of your age, plus it's not as much bones as your ligaments that may suffer. In a fall you are just as likely to break a leg even if you had a full release. I was reluctant at first cranking mine up, but I am glad I did. Ski style matters, if a skier is in a backseat bindings with even very low setting might not release. And don't try to recover unless it's a matter of a ligament or life.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Esdel, I usually ski at about din 8 - 9, sometimes higher in the steeps, but just this last holiday I took out a brand new pair of Markers on brand new CoreUPT's (tbh, the bindings were not originally destined for these skis but there were 'complications') and I decided just to wind them to 6/7 (because I was not thrashing it and intended to take it easy and the binding was new). As I was gently coming out of some lovely powder on to the piste, I slowed down a bit and simultaneously both bindings released forward so that I flew face first onto the piste with both the skis stopping dead. In my view, there is no way this should have happened at that setting and at that speed. One binding had pre-released a little before but I had put it down to ice under the heel. First chance I got, I jacked them to '11' (well 10, the bindings only went up to 10 but it was a Spinal Tap moment, OK?) and the problems disappeared. I am just saying this so that you are aware that it's 'you' and 'the binding' in tandem that needs to be considered rather than some theoretical chart. If you think they are too lose, don't hesitate to crank your bindings up. Obviously there is a trade off against the point of release but personally I'd rather they went too late than too early. I'd also trust your own feelings on the slope over some tech in a shop.

I raised this issue a while back here but no one decided to comment at that time. I ski a host of other bindings - Sallies, Atomic, Rossi, other Marker, Vist, etc. but I feel these Markers are 'markedly' (sorry) easier on the release than others at the same DIN setting yet it's supposed not to occur. I dread to think what would have happened if I had been pulling G's like I normally do. Rat Piste Pizza, most likely.

Before this incident I would have agreed with Cynic - not now. If I had the skis in the country, I'd take them to Jon for testing.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thats calculator said 7 so 3-10 should be good

Thanks for the help
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy