Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lessons or No?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello, long time lurker, first time posting..

I've been skiing for a year to the day, or in reality should I say I've skied for a week Neh Neh. I will be going next Friday for my second week of skiing.

Last year, I had a week of morning lessons with Ecole du Ski Francais (and skiied with my party in the afternoons). I did ok last year, starting as Debutant, and got pushed up through level 1 through to level 3 on the first day, and then went with the level 4 class for the rest of the week, doing my first black run on the Tuesday, three days after never having skiied before!

I'm wondering if I should do the same thing, or if I should concentrate this time more on actually enjoying skiing, getting confidence etc, rather than having lessons. Part of me thinks that the learning will help with my enjoyment, but we're going back to the same resort so I am familiar with the mountains, and therefore should hopefully be a bit more confident from the off. Or perhaps a couple of refreshers lessons (budget isn't the concern here, its maximising ski time) either at the resort, or before we go at MK/Leeds/Hemel/wherever?

Would the more experienced skiers recommend lessons every trip, all the time, occasionally or what?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 7-02-13 15:44; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
macgyver, welcome to snowheads. snowHead snowHead given you did so well first time round, I'd suggest you book a couple of 2 hour private lessons, one on day 2, one on day 4, giving you plenty of free ski time but also some pointers as to how to use that really productively.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
macgyver, Pam's advice is spot on. One on one is the way to go if budget is not an issue.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Pam's advice is really good. I've been skiing for about 28 years and still always have lessons when we go away. I get more enjoyment out of skiing when I'm doing it well, plus skiing with an instructor gives you the added advantage of discovering new runs Smile One of the most enjoyable mornings I had on our last trip was going up and down the same (blue) run for two hours with our instructor doing different drills interspersed with working through the powder on the side of the piste. I'm a sad case Wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nice work! Do we warned though I've seen quite a variation between level3/4 lessons so do be prepared to be downgraded as well as upgraded sometimes in the future and don't take it too hard. Last time I took a level 4 I swore the instructor was actively trying to whittle the group down - mental speeds on the piste, never waited for anyone till we hit a lift and then dropped off the back of the mountain no-questions-asked onto a full down-to-village off piste descent in not-great conditions. We downgraded ourselves for day2 Wink

Anyway.......for a second week I'd be tempted by morning lessons again at level3/4 to consolidate good habits, but it would make a difference where we were going and how cohesive your group is? Are you all at a similar level and wanting to explore a large resort (in which case I usually just have a first day private afternoon tuneup and then let it go) or all a bit mixed up level wise and meeting up for lunches etc anywhere because others are in lessons (in which case I might have a full morning set again).

In the last five years I've done a real mix from nothing at all to full week of lessons, and I've been skiing 25 years now ;P A lot depends on the group I'm with and what others want to do, so I'm not causing them to faff about finding me/waiting for me etc.

HTH, aj xx
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the advice guys.

The problem with my group is that they are all experienced skiers, I'm going with the Wifes family, and her dad has been skiing for 40 years, her mum for 30, and she has been skiing for 20 years herself. Therefore I expect it might be better to have lessons in the mornings and meet for lunch, but my Wife is a plodder - she is a great skier and with fantastic experience/technique, but prefers to simply shoop down the mountain, and is more than happy to stick with a newbie like myself on reds, mostly blues, and help me reinforce/learn my technique. She doesn't really like super fast, black/off piste stuff anymore (been there done that).

I guess either a few private one on ones or a morning of group lessons are going to be good, and certainly beneficial. I'll ask the wife and see if she wants that or would rather ski with her parents.

Thanks guys Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm a big advocate of instruction. Even if you think you're the bees knees, good instruction will make you better and cut out any bad habits.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
macgyver wrote:

I guess either a few private one on ones or a morning of group lessons are going to be good, and certainly beneficial.

If you can afford it, then one-to-one lessons are the best way to progress quickly IMO.
Otherwise morning lessons in a group with similar ability and a similar mindset would work well.
snow report
 cran
cran
What pam says...

2 hour private lessons once or twice a week are a good way to learn in my experience as well as being reasonable cost and good value for money.

When you get to a reasonable standard and start using guides, then a group keeps the cost down. But for lessons a group just stops you learning and gets frustrating.

Private for lessons, groups for guides...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi magyver

You don't say if you're going to the same resort. Some resorts are harder/steeper than others and in my experience it's best not to hurl yourself down the blacks (or even the reds) without a warm-up lesson. Beware of over-confidence in the first day or two and you will be fine - especially if you bear in mind that there will be a lot of haven't-skiied-since-last-year skiiers hurling themselves down at the same time. I also agree with having one-on-one lessons, it's amazing how much difference it makes.

I started skiing with a bunch of people who were very experienced and the private lessons mean I am pretty much as good as they are now!

Violette
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy