Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice - Picking ski's

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey guys,

So I'm off to the 3 valleys (Val Thorens) in about 6 weeks and I'm looking for a bit of advise on choosing ski's.

I've always rented, and plan to do so again this year. Basically want to know what set up to be looking for in the shop.

This will be my 8th trip to the snow so I can safely say that I am intermediate - ish.

I'm looking for a good all round ski. Something that will be decent for a bit of carving (still not great at that!) but will also give me a decent bit of float off piste. I'd say my time would be 70% piste 30% off piste. I've read that somewhere around 80mm would be decent for what I am looking for?

Also, given my height (below) what kind of length ski should i look at?

I'm 1.89 meters and 89 KG's btw!

Thanks! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd try something along the lines of a ski in the Saloman Enduro range or the Dynastar Outland. I rented the Outland in VT last season, and really enjoyed it. I own a pair of K2 Silencers, bought on price rather than suitability, and the Outland was my first departure from them. Using a ski that was suited to the way I actually ski was a revelation, and made me feel so much more confident in my own ability.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
K2 Rictors. I am 90kg and 1.96 metres, and have them in 181cm length. They are 80mm underfoot, I use them mainly on piste but have started to do some more off piste on them and they are brilliant. They are a perfect all mountain, do anything, ski.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Go fat Something about 100 underfoot and o/P Most of the time
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Callai wrote:
I'd try something along the lines of a ski in the Saloman Enduro range or the Dynastar Outland. I rented the Outland in VT last season, and really enjoyed it. I own a pair of K2 Silencers, bought on price rather than suitability, and the Outland was my first departure from them. Using a ski that was suited to the way I actually ski was a revelation, and made me feel so much more confident in my own ability.

I rented a pair of Outland 80XTs in VT last season as well. I now own a pair. Chuffed to bits with them.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the tips guys.

I've been reading around and seems around the 80mm underfoot mark would be best for piste skiing with some off piste thrown in.

Keep the recommendations coming!!!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dynastar Sultan 85
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mid 80s waist, lots of shovel, decent sidecut. Probably 100s of skis in that sort of spec.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
fatbob wrote:
Mid 80s waist, lots of shovel, decent sidecut. Probably 100s of skis in that sort of spec.
snowHead Thanks Bob!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
clarky999 wrote:
Dynastar Sultan 85

Agreed
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I hate hiring skis. Evil or Very Mad

I usually pay for whatever their top range is (to make sure I get this seasons skis) but still usually have to 'negotiate' to get the planks I want.

Coversation normally goes like this:

Me: Bonjour, I have pre-booked skis - here is the confirmation email.

Shop: Thank you ... [moments delay as assistant goes to rack of skis] ... here you go [hands me xyz ski], can you sign this form please ...

And it's at this point the battle (a friendly one) begins to try and prise a decent/suitable pair of skis out of the b+gg+rs.

I only say all of this, because having a set model/make in mind before you walk in, usually ends in disspointment Sad
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I often book the platinum ones, and let them sort the wife out first, then go and pick what I want. That way I get brand new skis, and so far has worked.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
blahblahblah, sounds like a plan ... I may adopt that ploy for future hires.

Annoying thing is that I have my own skis, but with a 15month old baby trying to negotiate airports with Baby + luggage + hand-luggage + buggy is hard enough - let along trying lug a ski bag with us too!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
abj wrote:

I only say all of this, because having a set model/make in mind before you walk in, usually ends in disspointment Sad

I've actually no real intention of going in with a make in mind! I was actually hoping for some wise snowhead to give me an idea of dimensions!

But from the recommendations i've seen here i have built up an idea at what I should be looking for underfoot etc!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy