Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

intermediate going to chamonix. Recommendations for areas?

Poster: A snowHead
I am a bit rusty as well.

People seem to be saying les houches. I won't have a car and will be staying in Chamonix town centre. I will be there for 3 days and my understanding is that I will have plenty to ski. Unless I can hitch a ride, I will be relying on buses, so ease of getting places is a plus.

Also, what pass should I get?

Thanks!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
amps, the buses are ok, but can get busy at going home time. The easier areas in Chamonix are les Houches and Le Tour. The Brevent/Flegere area can be skied end to end on blue runs in theory but its not easy maybe leave it to day three.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Buses are fine in Cham - We stayed in Les Houches and used buses all week. You can always be there before the lifts open. Had to get up early to get to Le Tour for first lift, but we didn't lose any skiing time. Les Houces and Le Tour will be good to get your legs in action. You probably want to avoid Grands Montets for the first day or two.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bus system is fairly efficient in Chamonix, they can be busy especially during half-terms but they run in time. I've never skied Les Houches but heard this area has some gentle run. Le Tour is fairly easy, and Brevent Flegere shouldn't be very difficult for an intermediate. You can ski your first day at Le Tour t osee how you feel. If by the end of your first day you will find its red runs easy, move to Brevent/Flegere - you wil be challenged there little more and views from Flegere are breathtaking. The area is worth skiing just for these views alone.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
amps, there are some very good ski instructors in Chamonix - how about a couple of hours private lesson, your first morning? Then at the end of the lesson the instructor will be able to give you some guidance as to which areas you might explore.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
OK. Maybe I will try les houches then. Can I just get a pass for les houches and it will entertain me for the day? I figure, if it is big enough, I will just do les houches first day and main chamonix the next two.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
les houches is more than enough to keep you entertained for a day. if i were you for three days, i'd say les houches, le tour then flegere depending on conditions Smile

you can get a pass just for les houches yes.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
amps, there isn't really a 'main' Chamonix - it is a series of road linked areas the length of the valley. I'd suggest that the best areas for rusty intermediates are at opposite ends of the valley - Les Houches and Le Tour. Then Flegere/ Brevant - maybe what you mean by main Chamonix. Then (but I think it is really best for experienced skiers) Grands Montets. Then the areas off the Aiguille de Midi - which are glacial off-piste and for which a guide would be needed
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'll start with les houches. I am just being cautious because I have also never skied in Europe. I have only skied in canada where the best I can do is an easy black diamond, which I think puts me at reds. Anyway, it has been a few years as well.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
amps, if you can do black diamonds you should be fine. There is only one difficult run at Les Houches, the Kandahar which is the world cup race run. Even then there is only one difficult pitch and I think it's well marked. Le tour has no really difficult pistes.
The black runs at Brevent/Flegere are pokey and should be avoided unless you are very confident.
Someone suggested a private lesson, BASS Chamonix are very good and all the instructors are native English speakers.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
one a quite day the kandahar is by far the best groomed run in the valley for straight line speed, I ***** love it!

to echo jbob though about brevent, some of the blacks up there are a bit on the stiff side, i had the fun of going down the charlanon varient yesterday and it wasnt a lot of fun i have to say!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I skied the Kandahar about two weeks ago, apart from one pitch near the top, the rest of it is no steeper than a Chamonix blue. At least that's what if felt like.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
eddiethebus wrote:
i had the fun of going down the charlanon varient yesterday and it wasnt a lot of fun i have to say!
Watched a husband and wife team, in matching jackets, slide and pick their way down that pitch about three weeks ago when everything was hardpacked and completely mogullled. Basically, I was just waiting for some solid tomahawking but they eventually got down without incident.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
yeah its a great place to stand and watch for "incident" haha
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Charles Bozon (as I've said before) is not too difficult a black on the Brevent side. amps, go to Argentiere and take the Hotel red, top to bottom. Great run
snow report
The snow is so good don't miss grands montets. Don't be put off by those who say it is too diffucult, it will be fine and you will love it. It is by far the best of what Chamonix has to offer.
snow conditions
patricksh wrote:
The snow is so good don't miss grands montets. Don't be put off by those who say it is too diffucult, it will be fine and you will love it. It is by far the best of what Chamonix has to offer.

Agreed, for an intermediate don't be put off by the start, that's as steep as it gets. At least go up the lift, walk down the steps and take a look. the view of the glacier is amazing.
latest report
It may take an hour to get to the top, and another hour for you to get down Point de Vue, but I guarantee first thing you'll do then is rejoin queue to do it again
snow conditions
patricksh, I'm not sure I agree. PdV can be easy, smooth and sunny, or it can be heavy, icy and demoralising. It's probably the most temperamental black I've skied, and if the conditions are wrong, would not be good for an intermediate.
snow conditions
Chamcham, you're right, but what I'm saying is snow is so good right now it will never be more favorable
snow report
Zero-G wrote:
I skied the Kandahar about two weeks ago, apart from one pitch near the top, the rest of it is no steeper than a Chamonix blue. At least that's what if felt like.

Most of it is blue/easy red IIRC. I was there 'with the lads' so it got a bit competitive, including standing in the starting hut with a radio and someone at the bottom with a stop watch. We didn't get as far as a beep beep beep countdown though. If you try and cut too much off the first left hander, you probably get a bit more air than you were expecting. Fairly straight section, then a right hander leading to a mini ski jump. You wouldn't really notice it at normal speed, but at 'hold my beer' speed it is v v scary, as you need to start the next right turn while you are in mid air. Most of us opted for the panic mode, helicopter arms, lean back, fall over method of stopping before the trees. Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy