Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI Euro Speed Test

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi
Can any one advise as to how the Euro Speed Test is run as in how many attempts are allowed on the day.

Will talk to Basi in morning but was looking for a quick heads up before I make the phone call.

Many thanks

Nutski
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You are allowed 2 runs per test
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
And it's easier than the Test Technique . . . so I'm told.

I've yet to discover the definition of "easy"
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hey Nutski
You'll be a top GSser just going to turn up and tick the box?
If not, the fact you are having to ask that level of question might suggest that some further prep is required apart from ascertaining that it's a GS FIS course and you can pass on either of two runs.

How it's run?
Something like this:-
There's a meeting early in the morning where you get registered, there's a draw and you are issued with your "dossard" (bib) and a limited liftpass if you don't already have one.
Then you get from the meeting to the slope, get parked, get changed. Get on the lift and over to the stade.
The course is opened for course inspection (only side-slipping allowed). Dozens of entrants and their coaches and officials milling around down the gates.
The course may be marked double or single panel, so you need to get your eye in for the turning panels, rhythm changes in terrain and the location of the banana gates.
The course is cleared whether you have had sufficient inspection or not.
You might then have time for a warm-up free-ski or maybe not.
The course is opened by several (usually 4) calibrated openers who are (or have been) FIS world-cuppers. Many coaches tell their athletes not to watch. They are so good it can be offputting.
The first runs start, and you by that time will be back up the lift, in the line-up in your race suit bib and helmet and your dins suitably ratcheted with your passport tucked down the front.
The course takes approximately 60 seconds. Every entrant gets one run in the first session. Re-runs are rare, but you may have to go back up and do one if the clock has a problem or something.
After the last entrant is down, the first run is closed by the "opener" skiers.
by this time -All the entrants are gathered round the results boards.
After some calculation involving taking average time for the opening and closing runs and having applied compensations for the individual opener coefficient with respect to "0-FIS" (The GS World Champion), the officials announce the pass times for women (0FIS + 24%) and men (0FIS + 18%)
At this point a flurry of ehphoria breaks out amongst the ones who have just realised their time is within the pass time.
Much play is made of stuffing race skis into refuse bins and declarations "No More Gates!" can be heard. They clear off to the pub. Their ordeal is over.
For the rest - the timetable for the second session is announced, and it all happens again on a slightly different course and entrants go in reverse bib order.

Equipment regs have been completely freed up except that entrants must wear a helmet, a bib and be wearing a ski on each foot.

Here's how the timing works. The openers have a coefficient set at the beginning of the season. This places them so many % slower than Ted Ligety (or whoever is the World Champion).
For example The opener completes the course in 58 seconds. Ted would have been nn seconds faster. The pass time for men is the opener time (58 seconds) minus nn seconds plus 18%
(This is broadly correct but there is an averaging of the opener times and the closing times are considered too, which makes it fairer for the last entrants on the list.)
These things are subject to change and there are logistical differences between test locations.
The weather can make a huge difference. I found that bad weather put the entrants off, but it didn't bother the openers two hoots.
Maybe a recent Eurotester can correct any inaccuracies in this saga, but that's about it.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SkiPresto, thank you for that . . . just wet me'self.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
SkiPresto, Great summary, thanks for that. Out of interest, I understand that the Eurotest pass mark is equivalent to around 158 FIS points; does that sound about right?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hey Patch. That may be so, but if you want a "Dispensation" you'd need below 100 Points FIS for men and below 85 Points FIS for women.
http://www.paca.drjscs.gouv.fr/IMG/pdf/Notice_d_Inscription_Eurotest_2013_DR.pdf

(This isn't an official response. I'm a private individual) Smile
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks, I think only around 35 current male GB FIS registered races would qualify for dispensation (and I'm about as far away from being one of them that it's possible to be)
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My ESF mates rate Alpe d'Huez as the place to pass, all relative of course but could be a reason to go there.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sat 9-02-13 15:36; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cynic, I suppose the piste used must make a considerable difference.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Skipresto, that's enlightening yet very, very terrifying! Thanks for making the time to post it all.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I do have some fast GS skis for rent at a very very cheap price to BASI members suitable for Eurotest, also some SG for Inferno etc.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There is a Euro test being held in Scotland at the end of this month.
It may be worth while to check it out - depends where you live, but it may well be cheaper than at trip to the alps.

I'm sure that BASI will have the details or there wil be something on their website
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy