Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why do Pomas snatch?

Poster: A snowHead
Just back from a Poma-infested week in Chatel. Some of those Pomas are deadly! I tried all sorts of approaches from trying to be still whenthe Poma kicks in to trying to out-pace it with arush. There seems to be no rhyme nor reason to whether the thing will try to jerk you off (innuendo, really?). Anybody know why this happens and how to prevent it?

snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Chris Bish, just relax and enjoy the intimacy Toofy Grin
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Masque, Yes, but with wet leather gloves I was left empty-handed looking more of a numpty than normal.

snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I like it. It's the only way I can hit those falsetto notes.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Chris Bish wrote:
how to prevent it?

http://www.edgeandwax.co.uk/70/ski_touring_skins.aspx
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Tried a poma on the snowboard at New Year. It just spat me off. I walked to the chair instead.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Serriadh, No chance. I am far too old to walk uphill.

snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chris Bish, Mmmm Pomas - a popular lift with the ladies, or so I'm told, can't imagine why. I've had lots of spills from them over the years but if you bend your legs slightly before "take off" you'll probably find you can cope a little better with the "jerk" . Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Poma Snatch? Sounds like something that afflicts female skiers riding tows with inadequate undercrackers
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
High qualty lube and/or an extra internal layer does it wink

Serious response: I'd always thought the viciousness of the take-off depended on how steep the initial ascent was? I've got the impression that drag lifts on beginner slopes were very gentle but where they let you off on say a red run then the track of the drag was a bit steep so needed a bit extra oomph to get you up there.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
briand6868, Absolutely essential, I agree. All the same, those contraptions still seem to pick on me. I have seen people lifted off their feet - or skis anyway. I think the snatch is to do with slack in the tow-line, but would be glad of a scientific explanation.

snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There always seems to be one that snatches - the one I use.... I'm wondering if the snatchy ones have weakened springs i.e. so that they extend more before "catching" but instead of catching smoothly it's sudden. May be just that - wear and tear.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Find one with a knackered spring and it'll just run out til you hit the end stop - then whoosh.

Find one with a new spring and it will start pulling you straight away and get you up to speed gently.

Edit: ooh, microseconds!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chris Bish, You're talking to someone who has sampled the poma delights of La Roz onna snowboard Evil or Very Mad So just Rule 5 man, tuck the lads up high and enjoy the ride
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It certainly looks as if the ones in the Chatel area are quite "experienced". Is it tired springs that take up suddenly rather than progressively? Does my 97kg cause the problem? I would like to know. Surely there is a snowheads engineer that knows how they work.

snowHead
latest report
Chris Bish, I'm a relative lightweight at 80 (ish Embarassed ) kilos and some of them lift me off my feet.
snow report
Chris Bish, I think that altis is correct. I'm not a poma engineer but have an engineering background and the weak spring thing does makes sense.
snow conditions
no idea about the engineering but you need to keep your knees bent, and keep your upper body well forward - so when it jerks your weight back, you're still balanced. There are some crackers in the Arly Valley - one is the steepest drag still left in France. http://www.espacediamant-ski.net/tkd1_seigneurs.php Rule 5. wink
Code:
ski holidays
Chris Bish, I started a boring "scientific explanation", but without being able to draw diagrams it would just run to paragraphs of nerdy text. And I can't be bothered wink . So suffice it to say there is a spring inside the perch the stiffness of which should be matched to the launch gradient, cable speed, and average weight of the punter. If the punter is significantly lighter (twizzling kids) or heavier (big jerk Razz ) than average, or if the spring is knackered or spring-rate badly calculated (eg perches swapped between lifts willy-nilly) you will not get a smooth ride.

Jerking can be minimize by elegantly skating away from the launch matching your speed gracefully with that of the cable, or you can just brace yourself and take it like a man! Shocked
snow report
It's the knackered spring/damper that causes the problem . . . just lift companies being cheap . . . there are mechanical and hydraulic systems and all of them wear out and need servicing. As far as I can tell, all the money goes to new lifts rather than making the rest anything more than just "safe".
snow conditions
That makes a lot of sense, thanks. I did notice that some of the Poma set-ups were needing a lot of care with poles tangling and such. Is slack in the line a factor?

snowHead
latest report
Chris Bish wrote:
That makes a lot of sense, thanks. I did notice that some of the Poma set-ups were needing a lot of care with poles tangling and such. Is slack in the line a factor? snowHead

Just the visual definition of 'knackered' . . . as your knackers will attest Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Chris Bish, We use a poma as its the quickest way to get out of Montalbert (yep La Plagnes lifts are that old) and I reckon it's just a lack of maintenence to the springs, some of the poles snatch some don't if its a really knackered one you can get 3 really good jumps as you leave the lift station Laughing
latest report
Chris Bish, No not the cable tension. It's all down to those pesky springs. The tensioned reelers of a T-bar are a far more forgiving design, but more expensive and higher maintenance. Hence the move to Pomas.
ski holidays
So..... presumably the extra kg I contribute will give the spring a lot more to do, which is why I get snatched more than lighter types. Why does it alwayscome down to "lose some more weight you fat b@stard?"

snowHead
ski holidays
Chris Bish, I'm sure I've recently read some drivel on this somewhere recently, and it was because the Poma's are old, the springs worn, and the cables stretched and yes, it is weight related. There's a particularly vicious one in Serre Che. It is very steep and I sweat all the way up in case I come off, as it would not be good to ski back to the bottom.
latest report
In the old days when the only lift from Linderets to Avoriaz was a Poma the queues used to be horrendous. We ski bums knew the bump near the bottom (out of sight of the liftie) where lots of punters fell off. If you were quick you could grab the perch out of their hand as they went down and jump on without queueing Laughing snowHead Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Hells Bells wrote:
. It is very steep and I sweat all the way up in case I come off, as it would not be good to ski back to the bottom.

Thank god it's not just me Laughing on the steep ones I sweat, pray/chant, deep breathe, hold on with both hands and can't look up when it's really steep Embarassed I hate them!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sarah, but still better than T-bars!

snowHead
snow conditions
could anyone try and combine the problems of Poma's snatching and jerking you off with the thread by the 19 year old au pair looking for snowy fun in les Arcs??
latest report
ed123, I think I just 'moistened' myself Toofy Grin
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
no idea about the engineering but you need to keep your knees bent, and keep your upper body well forward - so when it jerks your weight back, you're still balanced. There are some crackers in the Arly Valley - one is the steepest drag still left in France. http://www.espacediamant-ski.net/tkd1_seigneurs.php Rule 5. wink
Code:

Neither the steepest average gradient nor the steepest maximum gradient in France but it may be the steepest combination of the two (I can't be bothered to check all 1200 drag lifts Happy

The Col d'Ornon Bois Barlet drag you see at 1m06 in this video is steeper.

http://youtube.com/v/aqm8Bgqcz60

Average gradient of 36.85% and Max gradient of 75%.

the resort was still operating in 2013 despite worries of closure.

Here are some steepies in the Haute Savoie

Le Reposoir Chalet Neuf 75%

Thollon les memises: TK Pic de Borée 76%

Flaine: TK du Bois 2 70%

At St Nicolas de Veroce the TK du Gouet has an average of 39,29 % with a max of 67 %

Here is the data for Flumet: Seigneurs: average 38.14 % , maximum 70 %

The lifts "snatch" when there are fewer people on them so there is more slack (as someone above says) and less of a counterbalance when you get on. Obviously they are based on a clamp principal so there is bound to be some snatch when the stationary clamp closes on a moving cable so cable speed and slope have an effect.
snow report
shep wrote:
In the old days when the only lift from Linderets to Avoriaz was a Poma the queues used to be horrendous. We ski bums knew the bump near the bottom (out of sight of the liftie) where lots of punters fell off. If you were quick you could grab the perch out of their hand as they went down and jump on without queueing Laughing snowHead Toofy Grin

And how many of them were "assited" in falling off Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I'd sooner ride a poma than a ruddy T bar any day.
ski holidays
one problem with the Seigneur is that if you fall off, you trek through some trees and back down a quite difficult bumpy black run, to the bottom. and try again. No alternative other than an occasional bus to Crest Voland. And it's long.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
one problem with the Seigneur is that if you fall off, you trek through some trees and back down a quite difficult bumpy black run, to the bottom. and try again. No alternative other than an occasional bus to Crest Voland. And it's long.

Pam, you just ski back down the track the lift takes, slaloming between the skiers on the lift as you do.

I mean, Dohhhhh!
snow conditions
alex_heney wrote:

And how many of them were "assited" in falling off Toofy Grin

I can honestly say I never saw foul play (ski-bum code applies), other than the possibly intimidating effect of brushing past a gaggle of day-glo clad vultures hovering over the slightest wobble Skullie! But every perch went up loaded and we didn't add ourselves to the queue Cool
snow report
Quote:

I'd sooner ride a poma than a ruddy T bar any day.

Megamum, you don't snowboard then! Give me a T bar any day, or better still a chair Smile
ski holidays
Quote:

Pam, you just ski back down the track the lift takes, slaloming between the skiers on the lift as you do

the track is very narrow, full of tree roots, and in places very steep. You couldn't slalom the skiers I suspect - not enough room either side. Most of the people capable of skiing it wouldn't fall off in the first place. wink Skullie The signs saying "si vous tombez", pointing into the thicket, are quite intimidating. Laughing
snow report
O.P Lack of maintenance
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy