Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Puy De Sancy

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, has anyone recently been to Puy De Sancy, Mont Dore, Super Besse as will be spending a weekend there end of Feb. After info on ease of getting to the ski regions (do not think they are linked) is it possible to ski between (not too backcountry!) or need to drive? Any tit bit of information gratefully received. Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi emmsa - how was Le Mont Dore? I am going there for a sneaky weekend on 5th April. I can see the resort has benefitted from the huge dumps of snow which have fallen all over France so hoping the low altitude won't be a problem. I've always skied in the Alpes up to now but an opportunity has arisen to spend two days in Mont Dore so would be interested in how you got on! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi, it was really good. Heavy snow for two of the three days we were there. This with the high winds, poor visibility and -20 temperature made for an interesting time! We parked in the lower car park, the first one up from Le Mont Dore, where there is a wooden shed with ski lift card dispenser, 25 euros a day for full area. Worth the full area as you can get lift to the top and ski over to Super Besse which is a more popular ski area with more facilities (lifts, restaurants). We only managed this on day one before the snow,
poor visibility and winds closed this option down.
There is a short but enjoyable red run through the trees (Chomets lift) and a steep mogully black (Dore lift) through the trees that were fun in poor light. There are some interesting off piste touring routes that look very inviting if that's your thing also. In fact if we had this much snow every year I would buy a house in the region.

It is low key and as different from say Chamonix as a ski resort can be but none the worse for that! especially as some lovely restaurants in nearby La Bourboule as well as Le Mont Dore. Hope the snow is still there and you enjoy your time as much as we did. Oh, it gets much busier at the weekend with small queues for the lifts and big queues for eating.
Emmsa
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I went there on a school skiing trip in 1974 and stayed La Bourboule though I can remember much apart from an introduction to Pernod. I would love to see the place again and I've got some friends who live just north of Clermant Ferrand so I can see a plan taking shape.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank you emmsa and BergenBergen for your replies.

I have only recently returned from my weekend at Mont Dore - the first two days were not good at all due to almost zero visibility at the summit. The snow was amazing and I was surprised that the resort had made the decision to close early - 7th April. All of the hoteliers and restaurant owners in Mont Dore could not understand their decision and by the time I arrived on 5 April only 50% of the resort (at the most) was skiable. Saying all that though I did make the most of it and the reds that were open from the cable car telesiege 2 were nice and considering I could only see about another 10 people in total in the resort there were no queues for the cable car which was a bonus!

I stayed at Hotel du Russie and the staff were fantastic - driving me and my daughter to the lifts whenever we wanted and would come and collect us within about 5 minutes of calling them - what a great service.

Typically, the morning I was due to leave which was the last day the resort was opening - it was clear blue skies and I couldn't resist fitting in a quick hour. The views from the summit were stunning and I could have happily skied there all day. The bad thing was that everyone had the same idea and the resort was packed!

We drove out to La Bourboule and ate there a couple of times. It is a really nice picturesque town and there were many more shops and restaurants open than at Mont Dore. My husband who prefers to cycle up mountains whilst I ski down, rode up a few of the cols in the area - those which weren't still closed due to heaps of snow still on the roads anyway.

I would most certainly go back for a quick weekend of skiing if the opportunity ever arose. BergenBergen I would be arranging a visit to see your friends nr Clermant Ferrand next season!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
God that view does not seem to have changed since I was there with a school group in 1976 - good memories though! The long narrow green/blue from the summit gave some of the beginners the heeby-geebies big time! Laughing but they were so chuffed when they got to the bottom, they wanted to go straight back up and do it again. Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Samerberg Sue wrote:
God that view does not seem to have changed since I was there with a school group in 1976

The view may not have changed but the resort has, some of the lower lifts down at the car-park level in the side valleys have been taken out, victims of poor snow conditions.

What month were you there, I remember snogging a girl on a school ski trip to le Mont Dore in 1976 Happy.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I remember snogging a girl on a school ski trip to le Mont Dore in 1976

Laughing maybe your victim had escaped from Samerberg Sue's surveillance.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
davidof, I was the Party Leader and for the life of me, no bloody idea! We stayed in a hotel in La Bouboule and bussed up every day to Le Mont Dore. I remember the Hourmont rep was called Brian Smith as my husband and I spent the summer kayaking the upper waters of all the Massif Central rivers with him. We were based near Brioude where he was attempting to renovate an old mill on the banks of the Loire.
It was incredibly warm and sunny the whole time we were there so we picnic every day on a big flat rock. When we went back a few months later, that big flat rock was a sodding big big boulder nearly 2.5metres high! Shocked
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I remember snogging a girl on a school ski trip to le Mont Dore in 1976

Laughing maybe your victim had escaped from Samerberg Sue's surveillance.

Well I was 11 and the girl was 14, so by today's standards I was the victim in all this.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
o yeah....
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy