Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Clusaz or Espace Diamant for a day's skiing

Poster: A snowHead
We are off down to the Three Valleys at Easter. As we can leave UK early morning on Good Friday we can be in the Northern Alps by early evening Friday and as our appartment in La Tania is booked from Saturday evening I figured it would be fun to slip in an extra days skiing somewhere en-route.
Looking at the map it would be easy to take a left towards Geneva and then cut down to Albertville either via La Clusaz or through Megeve. We'd be looking to book a hotel for a night v close to the slopes where we could leave the car during the day on saturday whilst we ski and then pile in for the drive to La Tania at the end of the day.
Both La Clusaz and Espace Diamant villages such as Notre Dame de Bellecome and Crest Voland seem to fit the bill but I'd appreciate any advice from people who have visited these areas. Obviously it is fairly late season and these are lowish resorts, we visited Megeve at Easter three years ago and there was no snow anywhere! But Easter was late that year and the conditions a bit freakish so hopefully that won't happen again, it would be nice to give the area another try.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
philipb, I've had a very enjoyable day in Les Saisies (with an excellent snowHead guide, which helped Very Happy ). That was two years ago in March when the snow was pants in most places. It was much better there than Megeve was the same week.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
philipb, I don't know La Clusaz, except to drive through, but it often looks very green by that time of year. I know the Espace Diamant well and I wouldn't suggest staying at Crest Voland - it is a bit low, though it might be fine to ski over there on the day. I'd suggest either Les Saisies or the top level of Notre Dame de Bellecombe (les Frasses). Hotel Le Tetras at Les Frasses would be very convenient (provided all your party are competent on a medium sort of draglift) but I doubt whether they'd give you a one night booking. But no problem leaving the car - there are plenty of free car parks in Les Saisies (Notre Dame is more difficult for parking) and even parking in the village right by the lifts only costs a few euros. The Calgary Hotel in LS is very good but 3* and a bit pricey - and they probably wouldn't book you in for one night, either. Might be worth your ringing the Tourist Office.

Another alternative would be to stay in Albertville, then drive on Saturday morning (40 minutes) up to Bisanne 1500 where there is free parking at the bottom of the Rosiere chairlift, taking you into Les Saisies. I fervently hope there will be snow as I have a big family party in Bisanne 1500 from 30 March - 6 April. In 10 years there has never been a time we couldn't ski to the bottom of that lift, even though the slope is south facing. You can buy a lift pass there too.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w, it sounds like the Espace Diamant might be the best bet. Given we'll have the car and be moving on anyway I guess we can find a decently priced Hotel and drive up to the snow if needs be. The Calgary looks great but a bit out of budget for one night and the Tetras is full. I've found a nice sounding place in Crest Voland (Le Caprice des Nieges) so we may go for that and drive up to Les Saises if there isn't sufficient snow in Crest Voland. If there is decent snow is it possible to ski between Crest Voland and Les Saises, the piste map seems to show a couple of drag lifts at the top of Mont Lachat?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
philipb, we are situated in the midst of the Megeve, Espace Diamant and La Clusaz areas and our April guests ski all three - late season, the Cote 2000 sector in Megeve and the La Balme Sector in La Clusaz should be fine, but I really like the Espace Diamant areas I have skied (am yet to get the guided tour of Les Saisies that marmotte16 has had due to various injuries!). With a car, you should have a fair amount of choice basing yourself in Crest Voland. Lots of lovely snow falling in the region right now snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

I've found a nice sounding place in Crest Voland (Le Caprice des Nieges) so we may go for that and drive up to Les Saises if there isn't sufficient snow in Crest Voland. If there is decent snow is it possible to ski between Crest Voland and Les Saises, the piste map seems to show a couple of drag lifts at the top of Mont Lachat?

The Caprice des Neiges is very nice (it's where we first stayed, by sheer serendipity, when we first discovered the area). Right at the bottom of a drag lift if the snow is good. No problem driving to Les Saisies if it's not, or you can indeed ski.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quicker to ski, probably.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w, I'll go ahead and book the Caprice, many thanks all for the advice. Any thoughts on a days ski itinerary in the Espace Diamant (me and the kids, capable of skiing the whole mountain, unfortunately my wife will be staying at home still recovering from her slipped disc)
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Maybe try Les Contamines, close to Megeve, which has a very good snow record considering it's height. Being in the shadow of Mont Blanc it seems to keep the snow exceptionally well.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

many thanks all for the advice. Any thoughts on a days ski itinerary in the Espace Diamant

ask me again nearer the time - I'll be out there, so will have a fair idea of conditions, even if I'm not in skiing fettle myself.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w, Thank you, will do. I've booked the Caprice, looking forward to it. Hope your recovery goes well and you can get back on your skis at Easter.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w, we're off from the UK on friday and still planning on a day in Espace Diamant on saturday (staying overnight friday in Crest Voland). I believe the conditions have held up pretty well so far but that rain is possible at the end of the week. Any tips on the best areas to visit/avoid, lunch stops, general advice would be much appreciated.
Hope your recovery continues and you're able to get some late season skiing in.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
philipb, Yes, I'm skiing again - doing an early morning foray with the pisteurs tomorrow, which should be fun. snowHead

Yes, snow conditions are pretty good, but the weather is rubbish at the moment and so visibility is going to be a problem. I would offer to act as a guide, but I have loads of visitors arriving Saturday and am organising their accommodation etc.

I suggest you get up out of Crest Voland. On skis you can do the liaison to Les Saisies, which will take you up the Covetan Chair. If it all looks good there are two cracking pistes back to the bottom of that lift, the Chappelle (new blue piste) and Sangliers (not difficult red). From the top of Covetan I would head down to the bottom of the Roche Blanche chair. It's a short, though rather slow, fixed chair with a variety of pistes back to the bottom, and usually decent snow.

The liaison across through the Douce Bowl to the top of the Notre Dame de Bellecombe skiing is just near the bottom of the Roche Blanche. I'd head over there. snow coverage in the bowl is OK and the red and blue runs at the top of Notre Dame (two chairs, the Plan des Fours and Lac) are amongst the best in the domaine and usually very quiet. I'd wager you'd have them almost to yourselves on Saturday.

There is no restaurant up there. The Crets restaurant, at the top of Mont Rond is good and popular - from the top you need to ski down to the twin drag lift (Déserts) to get up to it. I'd avoid going right down to Notre Dame Mont Rond as the chair up is long and excruciatingly slow (the steep drag is faster if your party are happy on drags).

You might find that you need some warm temperature wax to make the most of the springish snow. Zardoz Notwax or similar.

If you find the snow still OK in Crest Voland the Belle Metairie restaurant at the top is excellent and not particularly expensive.

If you are around Les Saisies at lunch time the Benetton restaurant is good but pricey. The runs on the Legettes chair (a blue, a red and an easy black) are all good value and the Arome Antique resto at the bottom very pleasant. The Panoramique on the top of Mont Bisanne is a bit of a cafeteria but has stunning 360 views. The runs on the side of Mont Bisanne, using the Chamois chair (reds and black) are all v good and usually have the best snow around.

You probably won't have time to do everything I've mentioned. If it seems soggy in Crest Voland I'd be inclined to drive up to the top level of Notre Dame de Bellecombe (les Frasses) where a drag takes you up to Mont Rond (very nice blue back down to the bottom) or right up to Saisies.

Given the weather I'd probably stay up out of the Val D'Arly though some of the nicest eating places are down there.

I hope you have a good day.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, Thank you, that's our day sorted. I will print your suggestions and have them on hand on saturday. Really looking forward to it, we visited a few years back (2011 I think ) when snow was v poor everywhere and struggled to find any snow but thought at the time would be good to get back sometime.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w wrote:
philipb, Yes, I'm skiing again

Excellent news Very Happy
ski holidays
Greetings from across the pond!

I could start a new discussion, but this looks like a good place to ask a somewhat similar question. For my first visit to the French Alps (Ive skied in Austria several times), I'm confirmed for the last week of January at the Portes du Soleil and am trying to decide on a lower-profile region for a couple's visit for the first week of February, no more than 90 minutes from Geneva.

At the moment, it seems to be either La Clusaz/Grand-Bormand or Espace Diamant, so I'm curious to hear impressions about those who've been there for a week, not just a day or two stopover: similarities/differences, good/not so good. I'm aware that both regions suffer from altitude issues, as does much of the PdS.

Me: an advanced skier who enjoys going into the off-piste, but won't complain about skiing with the wife, an intermediate who generally prefers staying on-piste and loves the "traveling around" aspect of Alps skiing. Nightlife is not a priority but comfortable places for drinks/meals, both on-mountain and off- are appreciated. We both speak French and like traditional ski villages rather than purpose-built.

Also, I can never figure out when peak season begins. Is the first week of February safe from holiday hordes?

Thanks for any advice!
snow conditions
Quote:

Is the first week of February safe from holiday hordes?

yes, it's not a quiet week, but the holidays begin the following week, so that's a good choice.

Welcome to Snowheads. snowHead I know a lot about the Espace Diamant but very little about La Clusaz/Le Grand Bornand. What sort of accommodation are you looking for? the Espace Diamant has a bigger linked ski area, but I'm sure either would be fine. La Clusaz is a more sophisticated base than anywhere in the ED but also probably more expensive, In the first week of February there is very unlikely to be any "altitude issues".
snow report
Claude - I would suggest adding the Grand Massif to your list of places to consider. We really like Les Carroz which is linked to Samoens, Morillon and Flaine. There will be plenty of skiing there for both of you and Les Carroz is a pleasant village with some nice restaurants. There are also some lovely mountain restaurants in the Grand Massif ski area.
I have only spent a week in each of La Clusaz and Les Saisies. I like La Clusaz as a village but found the skiing areas were not as well linked as other resorts.
L'espace Diamant is a beautiful ski area. I'm not sure if it would be that suitable for advanced skiiers. Pam knows the resort very well so she would be able to tell you more about the off piste/advanced skiing options.
snow report
snowymum wrote:
Claude - I would suggest adding the Grand Massif to your list of places to consider.

Thanks snowymum, that was a poor job of due diligence on my part. I've heard great things about Flaine's terrain and snow, but photos of that base village dissuaded me from doing any further research. I didn't even consider traditional villages like Les Carroz that are linked to the larger ski area. GM has definitely been added to the second-week candidate list and the fact that it's comparatively close to the PdS is also a selling point.

pam w wrote:
What sort of accommodation are you looking for?

We've had good experiences with half-board hotel arrangements in Austria, so we're leaning toward that.
latest report
Quote:

There are also some lovely mountain restaurants in the Grand Massif ski area

I found eating on the mountain in Flaine horribly expensive compared to the Espace Diamant, but I haven't spent that much time there. No, the Espace Diamant isn't particularly challenging for advanced skiers - there are some good off piste options, not that I know much about them. The Les Saisies end of the domaine has very good snow cover - regularly better than anywhere in the 3 Valleys, for example. The Arly Valley has less good snow (is lower) but is also quieter. But outside school holidays the whole area is very quiet compared, for example,to the Espace Killy and the 3 Valleys - I am always taken aback by the crowds in places like Meribel, even in low season.

But the Grand Massif is nearer to Geneva. I haven't seen the best of it, as when I've been to Flaine the snow has never been good enough to ski down into the lower areas, which I suspect I'd like a lot better. Les Carroz sounds nice.
snow report
claude de nj, there are a lot fewer half-board hotels in France than in Austria. They exist - the Calgary in Les Saisies, for example, is very nice and extremely convenient for the skiing. But expensive. In our neck of the woods my own preference would be to rent an apartment, fix my own breakfast and be close enough to ski home for lunch, but then to sample a range of local restaurants for the evening meal. There are a couple of excellent traiteurs in Les Saisies - easier than cooking, cheaper than a restaurant.
ski holidays
claude de nj, you might consider staying in La Giettaz - the local lift is part of the Portes du Mont Blanc/Evasion Mont Blanc domains but the nearest lifts in both La Clusaz and The Espace Diamant are a 15 minute drive from our place, so if you had a car you could explore 3 different areas. It's a traditional and pretty French ski village and sounds like it would suit you. We can offer you half board if you were interested in staying at our place (website link at the bottom of the post).
ski holidays
I'd second the vote for Les Carroz. Depending on where you are staying in the PDS, it's only about a 30 min drive away(from Les Gets and Morzine). There is some lovely tree skiing above the village, and the whole GM is seamlessly linked. If you want ski in ski out-the Milk Hotel is very nice ( http://www.milkhotel.fr/en/index.html ) and the staff are friendly, helpful and speak english if your french is a tad rusty (which I know those coming from over the pond worry about, but it won't be a problem anywhere). They do half board and we have found it very nice and the breakfasts really yummy! Good tripadvisor reviews, so it's not just me.
If you need ski hire Jacques at Zig Zag sport is really charming. The village is attractive and doesn't have the purpose built feel. It's the only "proper" community with skiing guaranteed to the village level in the GM. As to the rest of the GM- If you want french charm you could look at Samoens, which is a beautiful town, but you have to take a gondola up to the start of the skiing. Morillon Les Esserts (at 1100m) is also a good base, but is purpose built. It's attractive and in the trees, but probably not what you are looking for.
Don't be put off by the architecture of Flaine, once you're on the mountain, you don't really notice it, and the skiing is lovely (and who cares if you're not staying there!). By that time the Gers bowl should be open, and hopefully Cascades down to Sixt. Skiing the black down Gers and lunch at the auberge-Gîte du Lac de Gers- at the end of the track at the bottom is a real treat and feels very special.
ski holidays
Thanks to everyone for the helpful advice. The "Where To Ski and Snowboard Worldwide" book also mentioned that Flaine's lovely architecture isn't as big a visual impediment when viewed from the mountain.

pam w wrote:
I am always taken aback by the crowds in places like Meribel, even in low season.

My thoughts exactly. I'm virulently allergic to crowds and always seek out the comparatively off-the-beaten-path places, which is why I enquired about the Espace Diamant. If/when I go to a high-profile region (which isn't typical for me), I make sure to do it during low season.

pam w wrote:
the Espace Diamant isn't particularly challenging for advanced skiers - there are some good off piste options

Yes, when people say that a ski region isn't interesting for more advanced skiers, that usually means there's plenty of great offpiste, often not far from the groomed trails, and that terrain is almost always desolate compared to the "A-list" resorts.
snow conditions
claude de nj wrote:
I'm virulently allergic to crowds and always seek out the comparatively off-the-beaten-path places,

Have a serious look at Portes du Mont Blanc area then

http://www.lesportesdumontblanc.fr/en/
latest report
claude de nj, the Portes du Soleil is not exactly "off the beaten track". It's Piccadilly circus compared to the Portes de Mont Blanc or the Espace Diamant.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy