Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alpe d'Huez and Les Deux Alpes to offer joint liftpass - report

Poster: A snowHead
The Ski Club of GB website is reporting that Les 2 Alpes and Alpe d'Huez are to offer a joint 6-day liftpasss, with bus shuttle between the resorts, this winter.

More details in this report.

Any comments on this marital development?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think the season pass for both resorts has offered unlimited use of the other for a while now. The bus between the two is a good idea though.

What would really make a difference to me would be if they could get La Grave in as part of the arrangement...
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Next up, a Paradiski style link from Bons to Auris.

They're probably only 2 or 3 miles apart. What's the longest cable car span at the moment ?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
2 Alpes and Alpe d'Huez offered a helicopter link for a while. This certainly wasn't in the liftpass!

As for La Grave entering the marriage, that would be a disaster. La Grave operates on a sacred philosophy of 'skier accepts all risks'. It's almost unique in Europe and can't be married with a conventional patrolled ski area. It should always be paid for separately and specifically - a bonding with Les 2 Alpes would swamp the La Grave lift and probably destroy the very magic that is that ski area.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David Goldsmith wrote:

As for La Grave entering the marriage, that would be a disaster. La Grave operates on a sacred philosophy of 'skier accepts all risks'. It's almost unique in Europe and can't be married with a conventional patrolled ski area. It should always be paid for separately and specifically - a bonding with Les 2 Alpes would swamp the La Grave lift and probably destroy the very magic that is that ski area.

weeelll... i agree that LG is a fantastic area and so on but i am not sure that making the ADH/LDA pass valid there would make all that much difference to it. It is pretty simple to access it from the LDA lifts now anyway so the question is whether the extra cost of buying a LG pass puts many people off. I would argue that it probably doesn't make all that much difference.

what would really be disasterous for LG would be putting a decent lift in - the tiny uphill capacity is what keeps it quiet IMO.

edit: i admit that my desire for LG to be covered by the other areas' passes is motivated by my own tightness wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I believe Les 2 Alpes has always wanted to expand into the magic kingdom, but the skiers who support the La Grave area want to keep them out.

If memory serves me correct there was one year when La Grave couldn't afford to replace its gondola cable, but somehow they returned from the brink.

One day they will have to replace the whole gondola, and I guess that'll be the ultimate test of whether this magnificently independent ski area can keep its show on the road.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Arno wrote:
I think the season pass for both resorts has offered unlimited use of the other for a while now. The bus between the two is a good idea though.

There is already a bus link provided by VFD and the existing 6 day lift pass allows some skiing in the other resort - the story is a bit of a none story (on behalf of the skclub I think) as the 2005/6 lift pass only allows 2 days in the other resort, is this any difference from the status quo, maybe an extra day or a free bus, anyone know details? The cable car link has been discussed for years but seems about as plausible as... well a link from Les Arcs to La Plagne by cable car.

In the 1950s there was a plan to link Aime la Plagne to the Maurienne by cable car via Courchevel. Only the Courchevel part got built. Hard to see the point of such things apart from an inter-resort p*ssing competition.

More interesting would be that 2005 will be the last year of summer skiing in l'Alpe d'Huez as the SATA have decided not to open the glacier next year... or the SATA's plans to extend into the environmentally sensitive Clavans valley.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 28-10-05 20:13; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
David Goldsmith wrote:
If memory serves me correct there was one year when La Grave couldn't afford to replace its gondola cable, but somehow they returned from the brink. .

The lift company went bust in 1986 and the area was shut for 2 years. La Grave's finances seem to be quite sound now, there is a huge development going in on the car park by the bottom lift this year - a hotel or appartments I think.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
LDA liftpasses (6 days) allow free ski-ing at La Grave when the link is open. When it's not you have to pay. this has been going on for several years. LDA also offers free ski-ing to people with a 6 day pass for La Grave. Don't know about ADH though - I would think it's too far to go on a regular basis, and yes - great care is taken to keep the "punters" out of LG. Although we no longer have to walk across the top, the Piste basher pulley only works until 13.00. There's no reciprocal link from LG to LDA.

I've heard that plans are afoot to create a piste from LDA (Pied Moutet) down to Le Freney d'Oisans with a gondola back and ditto from/to Auris. this would create a ski across possibility which would be excellent, but would cost a fortune and the cannons would have to be super efficient. There's always been a weekly VFD bus to/from ADH/LDA and as previously mentioned the helicopter which is actually very good value when you think you get 2 heli rides into the bargain. Of course the TOs have traditionally run their own version (usually to Serre Che) and discourage Brits from knowing about local buses! Shocked
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
LDA and ADH is close together but could be quite a chore to commue from one to another.

From memory one has 10 hair pin bends while the other has 20 from the N91 road below. Going round 60 hair pin bends everyday isn't my idea to unwind.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 31-10-05 23:48; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Does anyone know what the transfer time between the resorts would be and what time the last bus goes back from LDA to ADH??
How regular are the buses - I'm not always that good at sticking to a plan... rolling eyes

Thanks
Simon
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Autoroute reports a distance of 20 miles requiring a 35 minutes journey. No idea about the bus service though.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Simon L,

Having just driven down from LDA past the turning to ADH which I think is 13kms uphill, I would have thought 35-45 mins by car would be about right. The bus would take longer IMV
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It will take even longer when going through the hair pin bends with snow on them.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I always reckon 1 hr - 1¼ hours between the two resorts by car. I don't know how far it is, but it's very tortuous. The regular bus goes on Weds and leaves each resort around 08.00 in the morning I think. Return leaves around 16.30. There's only one per week soSimon L, you'll have to get yourself organised. The helicopter take 5 mins, but only does 4-5 journeys a day with a max load of 5 per journey. You have to book it early in the week. It costs around €45 I think per person return - not bad at all IMHO.
ski holidays
easiski,

€45 for ferrying in a helicoptor between LDA and LDH. Is this the poor man's version of heliski? Puzzled wink wink
ski holidays
thanks for that -

easiski, it's not that I don't set out to be organised - I can plan to cover certain ground which is great off a map but when you get there it's a different matter and you see things you've just got to do - at the time you think yeah no problem I'll be back in no time but it doesn't always work out! Lift problems, queues ski buddy fatigue...

I've had a few near misses but I'm getting better at it - my most notable delays have centred around waiting for buddies at the bottom of icy decents and very nearly missing the last chair home...I mean you can't leave your wing man can you?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
saikee, Of course, real heliski-ing is against the law in France. Puzzled
snow report
easiski,

Razz Embarassed Razz
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy