Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boot flex question

Poster: A snowHead
Apart from the obvious answer of =10 Toofy Grin

What's the difference between 120 flex and a 130 flex boot , are flex measurements uniform across all ski boots , relative to the boot construction ???

I.e. would the 130 flex in a freeride boot be greater than or equal to to a 120 flex alpine boot

Puzzled

Have searched this , but with no success , so look forward to you replies snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
put simply the answer should be yes, but in reality the answer is no.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ansta1, thanks Puzzled I think Cool
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dabber, more or less
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
under a new name, cheers, but could you be a little more obtuse Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It might be reasonable to say that the 130 flex boot is stiffer than the 120 flex boot provided:
- they are by the same manufacturer
- they are of the same type (walk mode boot flexes are a bit different from normal boot flexes)
- they are of similar ages
- they were removed from their molds under the same phase of the moon

No guarantees though.
ski holidays
 cran
cran
The 130 is probably more expensive than the 120...

It's worth spending the extra if the 130 is in better colours Cool
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dabber, there is little consistency between manufacturers and sometimes even models.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Plastic type, Injection Pressure, Plastic Colour, Type of Velcro Strap, Liner Type.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
anyone else noticed the sudden influx of 130 flex boots! few years back all standard ranges finished at 120! then someone upped it to 130 and now everything even soft floppy touring boots have it written on the side, seems like marketing BS to me!

I have a pair of 4 year old Rossignol Bandits (120) and they are a hell of a lot stiffer than pretty much any standard shop boot I've tried since!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
dulcamara, good point, my old X Wave 10's seemed much stiffer than my current Head Raptors. Both are meant to be 120 flex.

Mind you, I don't think the X Waves were as good a fit, which might have made them harder to flex too.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I always find a tighter fit makes them harder to flex, my Salomon Labs are tiny and virtually unmoveable!

I think it's a case of the Mc Donalds, start with S,M,L then M,L,XL now L,XL,XXL still prett much the same stuff with a bigger name! won't lie though, I would probably buy the 130 as I am a sucker for marketing and want to look like the big dog!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I find the tighter I buckle up boots; the firmer they feel anyway.

If it helps, I'll always think of you as a dog wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dulcamara,

I think...

130 flex was standard max shop stiff since about 1997 (I am guessing a little).

About 2005, 150 became the "new" 130 i.e. readily available to Joe Public.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ha! my Technicas are hewn from housbricks . . . and weigh about the same Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
I ran a small trial on boot stiffness, in the group were a rossignol wc130, an Atomic ti100 an Atomic ti140 a Salomon LAB soft130 and a rossignol 100. All were the same size and at room temperature.The results were the softest=the rossignol wc130, second the rossignol 100, third the atomic ti140, forth the atomic ti100 but this did have it's second bolt in and the 140 did not, the stiffest by far the salomon lab130 soft. The owner of the lab soft is a very keen O/P skier asked whether he used them for this his reply was expletive no he had another boot for this. I am amazed that anyone can consider a 130 as a reasonable flex for anything but racing particularly in cold weather either they are extreme skiers or own a rossignol wc130.
snow conditions
Cynic, you make a good point and the same applies to lots of other products, be it skiing or otherwise. If manufacturers are quoting a particular guide rating then this should be in my view (with a small degree of lattitude) fairly constant.

I guess the issue comes that the flex rating is defined for a given weight and height. Therefore if you are 6ft 10 and 16 stone, you are going to apply a much greater force due to levers and weight than a 5ft 6 person weighing 10 stone.

Is this were an experienced fitter comes in, someone who understands not only the fit and requirements of the skier but also their physical attributes?

thoughts from the experienced fitters?
snow report
MY ESF friends use a 100 flex for off piste and Were most amused that l was using a race to walk to pitches, fortunately mine are the ti140 not fully bolted.But! They are so tight that my feet became very sore, this was helped by winding off the cant to make them neutral for walking
snow conditions
Quote:

l was using a race to walk to pitches

Touring boot. Walk mode. Rockered, vibram sole = much happiness snowHead
ski holidays
Cynic, I love my Lab Softs. They are about 20 softer than my old Dobermann 150s. I think 150 is probably overkill.

They both worked just fine skiing off piste and everywhere else.

Puzzled
ski holidays
Quote:

Rockered,
??

this is a bbot not a ski we are talikng about, right?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mosha Marc, not tempted ?? Cool
ski holidays
Quote:

They both worked just fine skiing off piste and everywhere else.

Walking a km in mixed snow kicking uphill is the comfort question?.ski, in his rockered vibrams probably holds the key, but you have to be as adebt as he to ski in the things
snow report
Cynic, I have vibram soles on my labs Happy

Also most impressed with a day out in a pair of Dynafit TLT5s. I could almost be converted to AT boots...
ski holidays
under a new name, The owner of the LAB soft mentioned skis gates in his AT boots with the fb raised, he has yet to boot out to find if his allusion of safety will be broken.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 6-02-13 19:05; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
RattytheSnowRat wrote:
Quote:

Rockered,
??

this is a bbot not a ski we are talikng about, right?

Many touring boots have rockered soles for easier walking (when not attached to a ski).
latest report
Worth pointing out that different plastics flex differently/stiffen up in cold temperatures at different rates too. Was weird trying the Dynafit Vulcans on in a shop, obviously being carbon they don't soften up in the warmth, so felt MASSIVELY stiffer than anything else.
snow report
any body got any specific thoughts or experience on the relative stiffness/flex of garmont delirium boots / garmont mystic boots ??? against say a solomonn impact 120 alpine boot ??
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dabber, Can't speak for Delerium of Mystic. I do have the Lab Softs metioned by Cynic, above. My touring boots are Heliums. The Heliums drive my Coombacks (181 ?) and Trab Stelvios (174 ?) just fine. You have to be careful (a bit) not to get in the back seat, but other than that I don't really (when I am skiing) notice the difference.
latest report
Quick question regarding boot flex, is it right that you can see the body of the boot deform outwards as you press forward? I noticed today as I was testing how my recently healed broken foot would feel as I'm going back out to Austria for the rest of the season.

Thanks
Nick
ski holidays
In 1997 I bought a pair of Orange Salomon Course Race boots - nice and simple, no gimicks, low volume, fit like a glove.
They were 120 stiff. The Canadian bootfitter said 120 was too stiff for non-race skiing and I might like to make a small cut in the boot Confused below the top 2 clips, to give it a bit more forward flex. Back in the UK the idiot in my local ski shop announced that they were impossibly stiff for a mere mortal like me and suggested I throw them away and buy another pair!!
Skiing on them I find they are superb for on-piste action giving an excellent level of control and forward lean, but I wouldn't go any stiffer. They do flex a few mm if I push my knees forward, but that's at home in the warm. On very hard snow they are too punishing on the bumps, except for when I am at the peak of fitness and strength - And that is the problem with going too stiff: When my legs (and the rest of me) are stronger I can rattle over the bumps in my rock hard boots and ski like a grinning rocket, every leg movement transferring into my GS skis. When I am out of shape every movement of my skis is transferred into my legs - and my shins take a bashing.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 8-02-13 0:06; edited 1 time in total
snow report
anarski, I have had a variety of not very well qualified ski shop personnel tell me that I don't need the boots I want.

Muppets.

However, skiing bumps well is not a question of strength.... Twisted Evil
snow report
It would be nice if all manufacturers had the stiffness of their boots measured by and independent third party so that the the consumer is not befuddled by the Flex index varying from manufacturer to manufacturer. I would recommend buying boots with a soft flex option. I still use a pair of Head World Cup 105ti. where the flex is rated at 100 but has a soft option at 90. Needless to say the difference in flex skiing in January or spring skiing in March is huge. Anything below -15 on 100 flex and they set solid. Confused
ski holidays
Can only echo the above, For me, I've had boots that range from (supposed) 90-140 flex over the years, i ski aggressively both on and off piste and the 120s I'm in at the moment are by far and away the most responsive boots i've ever had because they fit properly. As an all rounder i've realised i want a bit of fore/aft flex and a boot that's stiff as laterally, and i wear my current boots for everything deep and fresh to railing my WC GSs on piste.

Flex is obviously important, but fit is far more so as far as i'm concerned.
latest report
oz5000, which model are they? (I have a guess at that)... And I suspect that if I am half way right it says something. If I'm wrong, whatever!
ski holidays
springbok45, yes that's perfectly normal.
ski holidays
gatecrasher, Thanks, hadn't noticed it before andcuriosity(panic) kicked in
latest report
oz5000 wrote:
...Flex is obviously important, but fit is far more so as far as i'm concerned.

This is spot on. You will only feel the benefit of your super stiff boot if it fits like a glove and you do it up tight - otherwise you will be flexing INSIDE the shell.
latest report
under a new name wrote:
However, skiing bumps well is not a question of strength.... Twisted Evil

steady on, I didn't say I could ski the bumps well, only that I could rattle over them at high speed...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy