Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving Calais to Meribel any insider tips??

Poster: A snowHead
We are driving to Meribel from Calais, Ive got the 'via michelin' route but was after any tips/dont do/ do do/ from snowheads that may have doen this trip. First time for us so we would like to know what to avoid!! thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
When? If half term leave resort before 07:00
Fill tank at Chambery at the Petrol station on the ChamNord slip road
Get telepeage tag from www.saneftolling.co.uk
If you make a toilet stop top up the tank
If you need to stop for petrol everyone goes to the loo.
If you plan to eat on the mootorway stop before French lunch ie before 1pm (Or take a packed lunch)
Keep stops to a minimum.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
iskar, when are you going, what timing? Have you booked a crossing yet?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We get a fixed time Eurotunnel ticket out, but a Flexiplus ticket return, this takes a lot of pressure off worrying whether you are going to get to the tunnel in time. Some Snowheads may suggest the extra cost of the Flexiplus is not worth it, but I like the peace of mind. It is also quite satisfying being waved past the waiting hoards!

Audiobooks ... a good audiobook can keep everyone in the car happy, and the driving time passes by much quicker.

For the price of a cheap satnav, you can have the joy of an extra voice in the car, and can reroute if you have to, the problem with a printed route is that you have no plan B if you miss a turning, though we have great joy around the new section of road around Reims when the Garmin takes us across fields!

See you driving down the hill at 7.00!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Harry Potter Audiobooks. That is everything you need.

Whatever you do, do not tell Sat Nav to avoid the motorway going through Reims. You will end up going through the centre of Paris, which is a bad idea at best.

Have a search through here, write down the details of all the supermarkets within a short distance of the motorway - fuel prices much lower.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
WhatBoredsurfing, says

Keep supply of drinks and snacks in the car
Top of wash fluid with right concentration i.e. below freezing
If diesel top up around Albertville so you have winter diesel in car
Take some jumpleaps just in case
Reflective jackets, breathelyser etc as required by French law
Watch out for mobile speed cameras on the way up from Reims to Calais

Is an easy and pleasant drive in my view, always the odd chance of a traffic jam but that'slife.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Winter tyres and snow chains.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You absolutely don't need a satnav to drive Calais to Meribel unless you are the world's worst navigator.
Quote:

always the odd chance of a traffic jam

if you're going at half term there is a certainty of major traffic jams and it's worth thinking about the timing of your journey to give yourself a sporting chance of avoiding the worst of them.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Snow-chains are a must and a legal requirement.

If you have winter-tyres great, they are a huge improvement in snow and general cold wet conditions. However, they are not a legal requirement for France and, thousands of UK, Dutch, Belgium cars get to the Alps each year on normal tyres without issue. Apart from the final few miles, it is well cleared and maintained motorway/dual-carriage all the way to Moutiers.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
and a well timed journey avoids the traffic jams as well.
In 30+ years of driving (in France) I can only remember being caught in serious jams a couple of times and both due to serious accidents. Slow moving traffic due to weather around 3 or 4 times. But that's all as Boris, says the roads are cleared and well maintained
I wish I could say the same about the journey in the UK to/from/and at the tunnel!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Calais to Meribel is much easier than getting to Dover (unless you live in Kent of course)
It is much easier with 2 or more drivers
Overnight is easier than during the day - almost no traffic
http://www.audible.com/ is a great source of talking books, download them to a smart phone or a kindle. If you can afford the data download charges you can do this while you are actually travelling.
Buy sandwiches, coffee, fruit juice when you stop to refuel and dump the waste as soon as possible. Keeping the inside of the car tidy and clear makes for a much more comfortable journey.
Obvious really, but when you stop, clean the lights
My favourite route is Calais - Rheims - Dijon - Bourg en Bresse - Lyon airport - chambery
If you feel tired pull into a rest area and rest, but these are often jammed full during the week with lorries with the same idea as you.
Have a peage ticket collector in the LH seat to handle collecting tickets (you will collect 4 of these) and pay by card, not cash
Relax, it is really a very easy drive.
For most of the way the speed limit is 130. There is not much benefit in exceeding it. The journey is possible in 9 and half hours without breaking the speed limit.

As to what to avoid - Paris, Lyon (The autoroute around Lyon is very congested between 7 and 9)
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lyon is tonnes better now the new loop road has been opened (A423?)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks...as always.
there are 5 in the car, two drivers and we are used to going overnight.
pam we are going easter friday, but will do overnight, and by ferry as its 4 hours to dover for us and the brakes welcome. Whats the best way to deal with the tolls usually in the rest of europe we just pay as required but ive heard about the pre paid thing you can get is it worth it for the one visit??

speed limits not a problem Madeye-Smiley

we are using a garmin with the 'printed version' as back up. Any clues on best time to get to meribel??
ie early mid morning
thanks again
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Don't say no to toll roads on the gps, you'll end up in Belgium and Switzerland...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
iskar, I don't think Easter will be a problem - tunnel might be a bit busy, but it's low season down here in the French Alps, at least in the bits mostly inhabited by French people!

For one journey, there's really no need to get a péage badge, especially with someone in the passenger seat who can do the necessary with a credit card. Where does your Garmin take you? they do funny stuff, sometimes.

Don't forget speed limit is 68.3 mph if the road is wet.
snow conditions
iskar, I don't think Easter will be a problem - tunnel might be a bit busy, but it's low season down here in the French Alps, at least in the bits mostly inhabited by French people!

For one journey, there's really no need to get a péage badge, especially with someone in the passenger seat who can do the necessary with a credit card. Where does your Garmin take you? they do funny stuff, sometimes.

Don't forget speed limit is 68.3 mph if the road is wet.
ski holidays
For one off trip not worth bothering with tag, just pay as you go. If using credit card there are often CC only lanes which can be quicker

Easter Friday I've driven many a time and the queues are not bad at all, is tail end of ski season and not so many people going.
snow report
Boris, Yes, but all of Belgium is heading for the Med. The Saturday after Good Friday must be a excellent time to invade Belgium, there will be no one there.
iskar, The journey to Dover on Good Friday can be a nightmare. You will find all peace and calm on the other side. Brakes on a car are always welcome
snow report
Boris wrote:
Lyon is tonnes better now the new loop road has been opened (A423?)

What have I told you before about this secret empty shortcut of a road wink
snow report
Boredsurfing, ooops yes I forgot we weren't telling anyone Embarassed
ski holidays
as already mentioned saneftolling - well worth it - a lot less effort, even if roads quiet - you dont have to wake sleeping passenger!
We prefer to take the A39 - always seems quiet and quicker?
latest report
If you are paying cash and cc, the tolls are single sided so either pull up so that the passenger can pay or leave room to open the door and get round.

Fit your beam benders before you get on the Ferry. Unless you're sure of stopping over there in daylight. Buy two sets of them, they can fall off.

Snowchains are cheaper on the autoroute then in the UK.

Fit winter tyres anyway. Mine were more use on the way to Dover then they were in France, except for the loop round La Tania where I saw some foreign muppet slipping around.
ski holidays
Regarding breathalyzers - I could have sworn I'd previously read somewhere that this was no longer legally required so just had a quick google and the AA have this to say:

Quote:
Breathalysers

1 March 2012 - the French government confirmed that from 1 July 2012 drivers of all motor vehicles and motorcycles (excluding mopeds) must carry a breathalyser. The regulation will be enforced from 1 November 2012 and anyone stopped after that date who fails to produce a breathalyser when requested will receive an on the spot fine of €11.

October 2012 - the French government announced that the implementation of the sanction for drivers not carrying a breathalyser – a fine of €11 – has been postponed from 1 November 2012 to 1 March 2013.

January 2013 - the French government announced that the implementation of the sanction for drivers not carrying a breathalyser – a fine of €11 – has been postponed indefinitely.

So theoretically you are still required to carry a self-test breathalyser when driving in France but there is no current legislation demanding a fine for non-compliance.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/driving-abroad-whats-new-2012.html

Is this right? You're legally required to carry one but if you get caught without one there are no sanctions Puzzled Puzzled
ski holidays
Yep. And even when they do get the legislation sorted, the fine is a massive €11, as it says. If you get stopped in France whilst driving a UK car you're going to get turned over and done for anything and everything they can find, so if you're at all worried or you draw attention to yourself by driving a flashy car or particularly quickly, make sure you have the more expensive stuff covered first.

Ought to demonstrate just how seriously to take that bit of legislation.
snow conditions
It can be very tempting to, and easy to do accidently, exceed the 130 km/h limit on empty roads (or 110 km/h in rainy weather), but if you do be on a lookout for unmarked mobile speed traps in cars....I saw at least three one-way last time I did the journey
snow report
Quote:

If you get stopped in France whilst driving a UK car you're going to get turned over and done for anything and everything they can find

not my experience. Might depend on how flashy you, or your car, are. wink
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

If you get stopped in France whilst driving a UK car you're going to get turned over and done for anything and everything they can find

not my experience. Might depend on how flashy you, or your car, are. wink

And at least an attempt to speak French helps as well
ski holidays
many thanks for all the advice, much appreciated. Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Drive from Valmorel back to Calais by my self last year.

Going to do both journeys by myself next time.

Any advise on how to best cope with the Toll boths as an only driver sat at the wrong side of the machines. I had to keep climbing over the passenger side each time and it was the only difficult part of the journey. Apart from that Im loathed to ever fly again.
snow conditions
Super Eagle, there aren't that many toll booths - before I had my telepeage tag, it wasn't exactly an insurmountable problem. I usually got out and walked around. Quite good to stretch your legs on a 12 hour drive. If it bothers you, get a telepeage tag. It does make life easier.
snow report
DavidYacht wrote:
though we have great joy around the new section of road around Reims when the Garmin takes us across fields!

See you driving down the hill at 7.00!

Ah.... Glad it wasn't just me then. Imagine my surprise.... My first ever drive to the Alps. It's 1am, the other 2 are asleep and the so far very reliable sat nav has me in the middle of nowhere for quite a while. Something quite surreal about driving somewhere new..... On my 'own'...... In France...... In the dark..... On a road that doesn't exist. Shocked
latest report
Gassy222, we always laugh about it as well but your experience must have been far from funny at the time!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy