Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Campitello ... who's been?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Skids,

I've just booked a weeks holiday "blind" ... this weekend to Campitello di Fassa.

I've never heard of this place before and I hope I've done the right thang.

All I know is it has access to the Sella Ronda ... which an area I have been aching to do for years.

Some come on you SnowHeads give me the +tives and the -egatives.

I could only find Campitello mentioned briefly in two post back in 2007
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
nobody then ? Shocked
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DrLawn, 19 minutes Shocked How are you anyway?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
All I know is you can get the free ski bus to Canazei where I stayed last week and from here access the Sella Ronda and all its goodies. I'm sure you'll have a great time.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have been to campitello. I remember spending a few happy hours in a grappa bar in the middle of the village......at least I think I remember Smile actually it may have been canazei .....

It offers direct access into the sella Ronda via a gondola that can get busy and you have to get the bus back from canazei. Depending where you are in the village you may need to get a bus to the lift.

It's in a very beautiful part of the world.

Enjoy Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Claude B, Hello Collin! Have you changed your handle ? I was a bit confused till I went to Gravatar and saw you testing all those beers!

How am I ?

Well much better now, I managed to crack a rib again or open one up when we woz in Tignes, didnt realise what was the matter till I got home.
You'd think wearing a helmet would stop all that wouldn't you?

Any way I'm pretty up now .. as you can see me and the Mrs are of to Italia this weekend ... but I haven't got a clue about that end of Titalia!

So how are you then Claude B?

I want to thank Minion & NE1 for there encouraging comments thanks !

I've got a whole lot of homework to do .. and I'll try an speak Italian by the weekend.

Ciao!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DrLawn, Yes the change was down to Martyna. I'm good thanks, skiing next week too.

BTW it's Carnival next week I think, should be fun but might be a bit busy.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DrLawn, haha all you need to know is Grazie, they speak a lot of English in the region now, mostly because of the influx of Scandinavians and Russians who can speak English but not Italian, this is what I noticed last week. Campitello is in an awesome area as not only have you access to the Sella Ronda you also have easy access to Alba and Pozza which is good for a day or two. Enjoy your holiday Smile
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DrLawn, I went to Campitello in (I think) 2006.

It is a small village in the Val di Fassa, with only a few shops & bars. Access to the slopes is via a cable car, which drops you right onto the Sella Ronda. If you don't want to come back down by the cable car, you can ski down to Canazei and get the bus back from there. All ski buses are included with your lift pass.

Apart from the Sella Ronda, there are other areas within Val di Fassa that you can ski - but need the bus from Camitello to do so. Altogether you have a pretty large area accessible, without needing your own transport.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cheers alex_heney very encouraging, thank you.
So you have not gone back in 6 years? Oh dear.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We were there in 2011, really enjoyed it, well located for the Sella Ronda, Marmolada and the Hidden Valley. We preferred to get back down to Campitello by the Gondola at the end of the day as the bus can sometimes get really full. I wouldn't hesitate to go back if the right deal came along. In fact off to Canazei in 5 weeks.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
As alex_heney, says. You can get into the Sella ronda system by going up the cable car rom Campitello, but we found it better to get the bus round to Canazei and use the gondola. There is often a queue, but it moves fast. Coming down the cable car is OK. One very nice trip is up to Alba and there is a nice little sunny area there. You can get all the way to Pozza and beyond, which is worthwhile. Only downside is that you are quite a long way fromthe Marmolada, but there is easy access to Selva and even Ortisei.

Village is quiet, but there is more going on in Canazei, if you are looking for a social scene.

snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DrLawn wrote:
Cheers alex_heney very encouraging, thank you.
So you have not gone back in 6 years? Oh dear.

I only get one trip per year, and have been enjoying Austria. I also haven't actually seen any really good deals since I went last time.

I certainly would like to go back at some point.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have just got back and found the place to be very quiet. We always headed up on the gondala at 8.30 it only takes 5 mins with no queue and your on the snow well before most. My tip would be to use the heated ski locker at the gondala and avoid skiing down to canazei as the run ends quite high up. Unless you like walking in ski boots
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
alan_utchi,
That sound like a good move! Especialy for the Mrs she likes to take a long lunch when she's skiing ... so she has no time to ski after lunch.

You didn't say if the ski locker is at the top or the bottom of the gondola?

and alex sorry that you can only go once a year ... I know how that feels.
There is plenty of great places to go in Ostria, its just we've never done the Dolymites.

Emm quite eh?

I hope we can find a good Pizzaria.

can start to play "packed my bag" now.
ski holidays
alan_utchi wrote:
I have just got back and found the place to be very quiet. We always headed up on the gondala at 8.30 it only takes 5 mins with no queue and your on the snow well before most. My tip would be to use the heated ski locker at the gondala and avoid skiing down to canazei as the run ends quite high up. Unless you like walking in ski boots

The little road train came round within a few yards of where you had to take your skis off when I was there. Though it can't have been much more than a couple of hundred yards down to the main bus stop anyhow.
snow conditions
DrLawn wrote:
alan_utchi,
That sound like a good move! Especialy for the Mrs she likes to take a long lunch when she's skiing ... so she has no time to ski after lunch.

You didn't say if the ski locker is at the top or the bottom of the gondola?

It's at the bottom.

The only issue with purring your skis in there is that if your hotel is not close, and you want to go to Alba or Pozza or Moena, it can be a bit of a faff.
snow conditions
DrLawn: We used the locker at the bottom of the cable car, however I did see some people head up without skis as there was a place at the top
snow conditions
Thanks guys ... I think I'd leave mine at the bottom .. that gives us the option of taking the bus somewhere else ... but probably not ...

I'm pretty good at leaving my skis in the wrong place ... last year I got out of the car at "Sunshine" and realised I'd left the skis in "Lake Louise" the previous evening.
All was well the honest Canuks had put them in the office.

This season I thought it would be a good idea not to leave them together in Tignes near the lift so I parked them in differnt places ...
When I came back half an hour later I could not find one of them ...
After a while I bumbed into a couple of pretty girls from the ski school carrying around a lonely ski just like mine.

They probably had a one legged boyfriend tucked away somewhere.
ski holidays
alex_heney wrote:
DrLawn, I went to Campitello in (I think) 2006.

It is a small village in the Val di Fassa, with only a few shops & bars. Access to the slopes is via a cable car, which drops you right onto the Sella Ronda. If you don't want to come back down by the cable car, you can ski down to Canazei and get the bus back from there. All ski buses are included with your lift pass.

Apart from the Sella Ronda, there are other areas within Val di Fassa that you can ski - but need the bus from Camitello to do so. Altogether you have a pretty large area accessible, without needing your own transport.

All good advice. We were also there in (I think) 2006 Smile Got an absolutely superb deal: £279 HB resort allocated on arrival. We were expecting to get Passo Tonale (but secretly hoping for something better); we were throwing somersaults when the rep told us to get on the Canazei/Campitello bus! Stayed in the Grohmann. It looked OK for the money from outside. Room was nice; service and food was out of this world. The seven-course gala dinner on the Wednesday night would have set us back the best part of £200 in London alone!!! 5 minutes walk to the cable-car or <2minutes walk
to the ski-bus stop and a 2 minute bus-ride. We were usually pretty early (8:30-8:50) for the cable-car but on the mornings we were a little later (Thursday for one) Laughing the long queue reduced pretty quickly.

I met you on the PSB, so I know you like the erm.. occasional beer and are up for some craic, so I'll try to give you some pointers in the apres direction. All directions are from the Grohmann as that was our reference point.

Right out of front door, very short walk (<100m) to the first corner. On your right is a brand new (in 2006) bar/club. Nicely fitted out and a sound system to give Pacha a run for its money. Only problem was we were the only punters in there, apart from two Russian (I think) gorillas who were being waited on hand and foot by a couple of easy on the eye (Russian) 'serving wenches' wink We never went in again (too lively for us Laughing ) but it may well have got busier since we were there. They had certainly spent some money on the place.

More action to be found if you went left out front door. Short walk (200m or so) to a pretty authentic apres bar. The entrance is down some stairs on the left of the building as you view it from the front. We made this place our 'local' for the week. A little further on, on the other side of the road was a frozen fountain. If you cross the road and turn right there is a nice Italian-style cafe-bar. Nice and stylish, coffee,[/i] gelato and good beer. Great atmosphere in there when Juventus were on TV.

After finishing skiing, I would advise you to ski down into Canazei. From the end of the 'Lupo Bianco' piste it's only a short walk to the square by the church, where there is some great
apres until the last bus back. I think that may be 7 o'clock but I'd double-check that one. The walk to Campitello from there is a definite 'no-no' and I'm not sure about the availability of taxis. The Italian-styled bar right next to the church is a great place top sit outside and talk bollox about the day's antics. Directly across is a more Alpine-styled pub. Good, not too loud music, and full of Danes when we were there (and none the worse for it) Smile Round the corner from there is a place that looks like a boarded-up shop with loads of skis outside. It sounds really quiet but inside it is banging. We had to tear ourselves away and run for the last bus (to Alba last year) on more than one occasion.

In summary, Campitello is good for a couple of after-dinner beers, but we found Canazei the place to be for the late-afternoon
apres. Hope this helps and 'ave a good 'un! Very Happy

Ooops. Don't know what happened with the italics, but I can't be arsed.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 5-02-13 23:28; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Cheers Gaz C

Are you talking about me on the PSB ..... ooops! It makes me sound almost interesting ...thanks for massaging my ego.

Sounds like you enjoyed it then good I'll take all your advice on board and get the Mrs "well oiled" down in Canazei then, I do worry about her, she will probably fret and not want to go down into the village if she can see a red marker at the side of the piste.
Then there will be the usual ski holiday chant of, "I NEVER EVER WANT TO COME SKIING WITH YOU AGAIN YOU BARSTEWARD!!!!"

So I just hope the sun shines hard and we can sit watching people in sunglasses promenade by while sipping espresso and sambuca .. "la dolce vita!"

Ciao Gaz C!
snow report
With two mates I stayed in Campitello after a week returning on 26 Jan. The cable car takes you up to the Rodella Bowl which has relatively easy red runs and stunning scenery. From here you can acces the sella ronda choosing to go clockwise or anti clockwise. If you want to you can take the bus to Canazei and go up the gondola. Also a great ski area. But whatever way you choose around the sella ronda you will need to pass through these ski areas. It's worth it and takes you to different valleys and villages with no repeat ski runs.

You can also take the free bus from Campitello past Canazei through to Alba and take the cable car and ski across to Pozza and back again. Bus ride is 15 mins.

Mountain restaurants are good value, efficient and serve good food. What do I think of the Dolomites - I think it is beautiful. Miles of skiing to do. Great trips to a glacier and the hidden valley. If you do these two you will have to motor on otherwise a costly taxi to get back will be needed, so don't miss the last lift connections.

It is all there to be enjoyed.
ski holidays
DrLawn wrote:
Cheers Gaz C

Are you talking about me on the PSB ..... ooops! It makes me sound almost interesting ...thanks for massaging my ego.

Prego!, All part of the service. Very Happy
ski holidays
Cheers Popski .. I can almost taste the pasta and pesto now, wafting across the slopes.

I'm very fond of Italian food, I was lucky enough to work in Roma in 1974 for a couple of months.
This was just after the "three day week" ... (when I could only work about 80 hours a week!)
I bought my first pair of skis that year, but ripped the soles off them in Aviemore.
I was paid an obscene amount of money in Italy at the time, £3.20 per hour (this sounds really stupid now)
I learnt about pasta, pizza and eating your vegetables cold,
and also sambucca .... it has to be served with an odd number of coffee beans in it (otherwise its unlucky) and flaming.
Si ... la dolce vita!

But I must admit the Belgians know a lot more about ice cream (and beer).
But no mountains.

I'd better shut up now.... and start dreaming of wafting through the powder ... (is OK its only a dream!)

Ciao!
latest report
DrLawn wrote:
I'll take all your advice on board and get the Mrs "well oiled" down in Canazei then, I do worry about her, she will probably fret and not want to go down into the village if she can see a red marker at the side of the piste.
Then there will be the usual ski holiday chant of, "I NEVER EVER WANT TO COME SKIING WITH YOU AGAIN YOU BARSTEWARD!!!!"

If 'Your Maud' is a little bit timid on red pistes, it's worth pointing out that while the 'Lupo Bianco' isn't a difficult red, it does get rather busy and can get cut up in places when everyone is making their way down. It might be worthwhile to set off down a little earlier in order to avoid any spitting of dummies and calling of names. It would also help you get a prime seat on the terrace outside the bar. wink
ski holidays
Cheers Gaz C!

Prime seat it is then

I've been watching the post from the bashers in Arraba this week .... lots of photos of Bombardinos ...must try one or two!
ski holidays
Nectar! wink
snow report
Read this

[url] http://www.wheretoskiandsnowboard.com/resorts/reviews/Had_an_excellent_week_staying_in_Campitello_di_Fassa_in_mid-January_2007._S/
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy