Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which wax to use at the big3?

Poster: A snowHead
Im off to Banff at the end of the month and am going to service our kit myself.

Trying to find out snow temp is proving difficult.

I appreciate that conditions change daily, so asking what to use in 3 weeks time is a bit of a "length of string" question!

Most 'blue' wax is -6 to -16c, which is what im looking at, is that a safe bet?

I was planning on getting some notwax too. Have read that once preped a coat of notwax prior to ironing in some wax is good, opinions appreciated.

Plan is:

Iron in some universal wax and scrape out whilst still molten
Then use base cleaner to remove anything that remains
Edge sharpen
Notwax
Universal wax
Scrape after an hour
'Cold wax' (which one???)
Scrape after an hour
Notwax
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm intrigued to know why you'd put notwax on before the wax as it's primary ingredient is PTFE, ie non stick teflon, surely it'll stop the wax sticking to the base? I'm ready to be educated.
I always carry it on the hill just in case and put some on a couple of times in a week to keep the plank super slippy.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ItsSnowJoke,

As you say, it's a piece of string. Temperatures could be -20 or lower, or they could be -5. It's too far ahead to guess. However, once a weather system gets in it's likely to be stable for several days, so it's unlikely to be variable from day-to-day.

Maybe gryphea will stop in here and give you a more informed local's perspective.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 5-02-13 14:25; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ItsSnowJoke, whatever you do, skip your second process!!!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Should you leave the colder waxes on that long? I use the -16 to -24 wax for dry slope skis and if you left it an hour you'd never get it off.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Unfortunately I am not that knowledgable about wax; more knowledgable about Albertan temps.

But its way too far in advance to know what the temps will be

Plus in my experience its not just about temps its about some unknown quantity, maybe some mix of temps and humidty. Around -20C we tend to find our skis sticking, but the other day for no reason it was stickier much warmer and that was for everyone, yet I have skied colder and it not been sticky (but then last year we had a personal waxer, he charged $200 per family for up to 8 pairs of skis as often as you liked for the whole season, and I think sometimes he may have put on a cold wax and us not realised, not surprisingly he went bust)

I would guess the blue wax is about right, and if you hit a cold patch pop in your skis for a colder wax which should be on offer at some of the tuners etc.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Rob, I hear what your saying and thought the same myself, but i read it somewhere (that i cant find a link for now!)

So GateCrasher your saying not to use base cleaner? Just pull out any muck with hot wax? Whats the reason for that? Drying out of the bases?

I said an hour as thats what the ball park figure is in the guides i've seen. I will remove it once cool, but not cold or 'set'.

Dispite the 2 posts i have made here, i am moderatly confident of getting things right. Laughing

Is ambient temp the same as snow temp? Wow this is getting scientific Shocked
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mix of blue and red to hedge your bets or wait til the night before and make a more educated call?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ItsSnowJoke, yep, base cleaner is primarily used for cleaning areas for repair, if you clean the bases with it you will have to put probably 10 wax cycles on to get them nourished back to where you were.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ItsSnowJoke, You can get wax designed for cleaning the base, that's what I use. I wouldn't use base cleaner. Ambient temp isn't the same as snow temp
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for all the replys. I'll give the cleaner a miss then gatecrasher, thanks.

If i just used blue as a top coat after universal, what would the implications be if it wasn't that cold? As i understand it, higher temp wax dissapears under colder conditions, is that due to higher friction from colder snow?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hmmm, starting to rethink my own use of base cleaner now. Any recommendations on a wax designed for cleaning bases?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
http://www.jonsskituning.co.uk/component/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.flypage/product_id,146/category_id,10/manufacturer_id,0/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,1/
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I used a universal wax on my board (i think it's skidata - a pale green colour) and waxed as I normally would, ie wax scrapewhen warm, then rewax, scrape when cold, nylon bristle brush and polish with scotchbrite pad.

There was a day at LL where air temp was -29, it was F cold. I didn't think my board ran that well until waxed in resort by a shop after a weeks or so. I don't know was the universal wax not really up to the cold over there? I'd go with cold wax.........
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Claude B, Thanks. Went searching on Edge and Wax and couldn't find anything answering the description.
snow conditions
Quote:
robapplegate....Went searching on Edge and Wax and couldn't find anything answering the description.
Thanks for your support wink

Avoid base cleaner for anything other than degreasing repair sites.

The SKS wax that Claude B linked to above is an excellent soft wax for hot scrape cleans & base prep applicaions, as well as being superb value.

For the ultimate cleaning/base prep wax you want Dominator's Zoom Base Renew:
http://www.jonsskituning.co.uk/component/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.flypage/product_id,143/category_id,10/manufacturer_id,0/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,1/
snow report
spyderjon, You know I'm a loyal customer and have pointed many people in their direction. Just telling it like it is.
I'll certainly try out some of that wax. Maybe it's something Edge and Wax could add to their range.
snow conditions
We did?! A year ago: http://www.edgeandwax.co.uk/33287/products/dominator_base_renew_100g.aspx Smile We do it in 400g too....

ScottyDog
snow report
scottydog, Thanks, I was hoping you'd pop up at some point. It's my own ignorance not recognising what the product does just from it's name. Having read the full description it makes sense. Now I just have to decide whether to annoy you or spyderjon. maybe i should buy both and see which i like best.
Incidently do you know the answer to the question about Notwax at the top of the thread?
snow conditions
I have been shopping at the piste office, thanks for the advice/clarification on the phone Jon.

Plan is:

1deg edge tune (Rossignol and Volkl)
Gummi edge and base
Use a coat of base renew wax and immediate scrape to clean, then another coat thats left to 'set' to get a goodly amount into the base and scrape
Got some Holmenkol blue/red mix from edge+wax to mix as top layer
Notwax puk to finish

Does that sound about right?

Can someone please advise how you 'mix' wax (red/blue)? Should i iron an equal amount of both into the base in one application or should it be layered as two applications and if so in what order/how? Looking at the forecast for Banff what mix is suggested for the end of the month. Also an answer to the implications of using too hard/cold a wax is still sought please??

If the above is not correct, that is me and not Jon (but you knew that anyway rolling eyes ), the advice from Jon was on tooling, not my above plan.

Appreciate the advice give thus far
Very Happy
ski holidays
Is this thread a wind up? wink
ski holidays
DT68, why do you ask?
latest report
DT68 wrote:
Is this thread a wind up? wink

Confused
snow report
robapplegate wrote:
DT68, why do you ask?

Hmm. Just seems a slightly surreal topic, even by the standards of Snowheads! Very Happy
But if anyone can help me with how many layers I should wear at 2,500m on the Kriegerhorn in 37 days time, you will have my attention.
snow report
DT68, ok, I just reckoned it was some user asking a question about waxing. I agree knowing the weather so far is a bit unlikely but doesn't invalidate his question about his "plan".
If you want surreal topics try the apres zone Laughing

Quote:

But if anyone can help me with how many layers I should wear at 2,500m on the Kriegerhorn in 37 days time, you will have my attention.

We need more data to answer this one Very Happy
latest report
robapplegate, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
robapplegate, wax does not 'stick' to the p-tex base but is absorped in to the pores within it - the heating of the iron opens up the pores to allow this to happen - which is why the skis are then left to fully cool/contract (to trap in the wax) prior to scraping off the excess & brushing out the structure grooves.

I 'discovered' Dominator wax whilst skiing in Utah in 2005 & started importing it then. It's been so popular that other retailers have since jumped on the bandwagon.
snow report
The Dominator guy showed me a couple of secret stash hot pow laps when I got talking to him on a chair and it got round to the fact that I knew his UK guy. Skied seriously fast mind.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
spyderjon,I see what you mean, I think I may have phrased my question poorly. My query was about the OPs idea he'd come across of putting Notwax on before applying wax, which seems counterintuitive to me Puzzled
snow report
robapplegate, it's called the Felix Process - the idea is to mix the Zardoz with the wax so it gets absorped in to the base as well. Seems to work particularly well with cold temp blue waxes which means it also works well on dryslopes.
snow conditions
spyderjon, Thanks, now I just need to order some of that cleaning wax, and book some waxing tuition Very Happy
latest report
This advice is all well and good, but unless you are racer or similar you are unlikely to notice the difference in on snow speed. Universal temp wax will suffice for pretty much everything. If the snow was super cold or very wet you may notice a slight drop in speed but again very little.

The Felix process with notwax is fine but notwax is only really helpfull if the snow is very wet, if its normal or cold the friction strips it away very quickly.

My best advice is to do 2 applications of hotwax, with a light scrape in between, on the last coat do a light scrape while the wax is still soft, not liquid, then leave in the cool overnight. Good scrape then most important I believe is a proper going over with a structuring brush. Voila. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
snowbum1971, Agreed. However many so called universal waxes (ie having a wide snow temperature operating range) aren't that universal - some have only a 5 degree range which is pretty narrow. That's why the Dominator Lime is so good as it performs really well from 0 to -mid teens C.
snow report
Yep, Dominator waxes are excellent!
snow report
No I wasn't taking the pee Embarassed Just new to this, please excuse the ignorance rolling eyes

The items from Jon arrived next day, thanks Very Happy

Could of done with a tub of elbow grease too (if im going to be accused of being on a wind up....)

Done a purple base renew hot scrape, which looking at the wax that came off did pull a lot of grot out. Then another coat of the same which i left for around 45mins. Bases look pretty good in my clueless opinion. Will add an apx 50/50 mix of Holmenkol red/blue next week.

If someone could clarify what happens if too cold/hard a wax is used that would be appreciated.
snow conditions
Purple first? Shocked

wink Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy