Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bending ze knees a little too far (an ode to)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Further to PG's post which raises (in my mind anyway) interesting questions about ski-specific training;

It would seem worthwhile for skiers to bother with knee-specific exercises, because knees are important in skiing. If that's true then if you're going to work on exercises useful to knees then seems worthwhile doing training exercises that are useful to knees rather than wasting time on ones that aren't so useful for knees (am I making sense?).

Therefore, could medico :sH:heads please let us know a) what bits of the leg stabilise the knee and b) what exercises are considered the most useful in strengthening those stabilising bits.

And, importantly (at least from my perspective), c) whether such exercises contribute any meaningful particular benefit to skiiers (c.f. other sports).

Thanks.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm not a medic, of a physio, or, indeed, a person with any relation to the field whatsoever, but I do have knackered knees.

Most of the knee-specific exercises I have been given are lunge-esque.

So, very slow lunges where the movement is forward not down and this:

stand on step
lift right foot
keep hips level
lower left knee until right toes touch step below
raise knee
stand on both feet again
do this s l o w l y
10 reps
then the other leg

the two muscles holding the patella in place are the itb (down outside of thigh) and your quad reaching over to the inside of your knee.

Generally, the ITB is too tight and over-strong while that bit of quad, or whatever it's called, is too weak.

Please don't take all this as gospel as I'm the patient not the doctor, but that's really all I've learnt over the past year.

Zammo

p.s. I really DO hate all the snowHead s who are currently having a ball at the Mondial du Ski. Being on here when they are there, is generlly pretty galling (sp?)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
gauling? wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Shouldn't you punctuate 'Gauling' with an Asterix? hehehe
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Scarpa, Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy