Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Footbeds for Old Boots ..Advice please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All
I am fairly new to skiing (4wks over 3 years) so excuse my ignorance
I have an old pair of Salomon Evo 9.0s
The footbeds look like theyve seen better days
Can anyone recommend replacements
Should I look for Salomon in the size of my boot or are there custom footbeds that are easy to fit?
I'd like to use these boots for another couple of years until I need stiffer ones rolling eyes
Cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
franzClammer, some off the peg Superfeet footbeds should be OK, you just trim to fit. However, there are a lot of different ones to choose from , so youj may be better taking your boots along and asking for advice.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Best option is to get some footbeds made to fit. To place them with a factory footbed is going to cost you a bit (unless you happen to find someone replacing those exact footbeds with custom made ones) and replacing them with a proper custom made footbed isn't going to cost you much more.

You can take the footbed with you from your current boots to whatever you buy in a couple of years - it is very rare for people to buy bigger boots as they get more experienced, so the boot fitter for the new ones will just cut down the ones you have.

Pretty much any ski shop can do custom footbeds, but you might want to see a decent boot fitter to get something that will last and fits 100%.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
A lot of people swear by custom molded footbeds, for these you'll need to go to a shop to get them made. I would certainly recommend these from my own experience. The exact brand is not as important as finding a good boot fitter near where you live.

If you bought an "off the shelf" footbed then they are trivial to fit, just trim them to the same size as the old ones using the old ones as a template and push them in to the liner. Easier done with the liner removed from the shell, but if the new footbed is stiff enough it can be done with the liner still in the shell.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I ski with superfeet green and although I've never tried bespoke footbeds for comparison I know that I get on better with the superfeet than with no footbeds. I guess the shape of your feet help - if you have strange shaped feet then bespoke foot beds are probably quite necessary, if you have standard feet and don't want to splash the cash then I expect a set of superfeet are better than nothing.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
This could be your lucky day!!

Cool
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mosha Marc wrote:
This could be your lucky day!!

Cool

Think they are just the normal shoe ones, pretty sure green, pink and blue (maybe some others) are the ones you need for ski boots, check on the Superfeet website. Go Outdoors had some at a reasonable price fairly recently.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum wrote:
I ski with superfeet green and although I've never tried bespoke footbeds for comparison I know that I get on better with the superfeet than with no footbeds. I guess the shape of your feet help - if you have strange shaped feet then bespoke foot beds are probably quite necessary, if you have standard feet and don't want to splash the cash then I expect a set of superfeet are better than nothing.

Green Superfeet ordered snowHead
Ta very much
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Megamum, no-one has "standard" feet...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name, by definition I would have thought that the commonest foot shape in any group would be 'standard', it's sort of self-defining. Unless you are stating that simply because everyone is genetically different that everbody's feet are different - in which case I counter with twins/trips/quads/etc. Also the shoe industry would seem to disagree with you to a certain degree.

Your move.

franzClammer, I have custom footbeds and 'off the shelf' gel ones and other heat moldable 'off the self' versions as well as the footbeds which came with all of my boots. The ones I like the best are the gel ones. I wouldn't say they are 'race fit' but the custom ones kept on cutting off the circulation to my feet (I think it was because they fit too well and also they were a bit too solid for me). I have also swapped each of these types around my boots and found that the performance varied depending on which boot they were in which surprised me. The custom ones worked much better in a boot for which they were not made. So I would not assume there is a 'correct' answer in so much as it really depends on you/your boots/your feet/your liner/your footbed as a working whole.

What really surprised and annoyed me recently was the difference in length between the heel lug and the toe lug for two sets of boots allegedly the same size from the same manufacturer. I know there is some variation but I expected it to be less than a mondo length for the same manufacturer. Annoyingly I can only now only use certain boots with certain skis. The reason I raise this is so you don't assume insoles are necessarily swapable between boots of the same nominal size.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
RattytheSnowRat,
Points noted
Many Thanks
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

by definition I would have thought that the commonest foot shape in any group would be 'standard', it's sort of self-defining. Unless you are stating that simply because everyone is genetically different that everbody's feet are different - in which case I counter with twins/trips/quads/etc. Also the shoe industry would seem to disagree with you to a certain degree.

Makes no sense at all, standard foot shapes? If the footwear industry disagreed with David they would all make the same shape shoes, no?

Superfeet's USP is that heel width is almost certain to defin STN control point, however in a group of 10 people, there would be a scale 90% to approx 40% sucess.

Your move.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy