Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

skiing in Pensylvania

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
we are off to spend a week with friends in the usa late march, anyone know if there will still be some snow around Pensylvania at that time so that i can get a sneaky extra couple of days on the slopes this winter
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I used to live near NYC but I've never skied in PA, but I'd be confident of sneaking in a few days if I was in NY, CN, MA, VT etc.
On that basis I would be quietly confident. Don't expect anything great but as you put it "a sneaky extra couple of days" you won't regret it.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rungsp,

thanks! i hope i get some more responses once the usa is fully awake...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Where in Pennsylvania? It's a pretty big state and it may be quicker to drive to New Jersey or New York state than to ski in Pennsylvania itself.

One of the better places in Pa is Camelback Ski Area

http://www.skicamelback.com/
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mike Pow, our friends live near Harrisburg, 100 miles or so North of Baltimore.........

Thanks for the tip re Camelback, just checked and on viamichelin it's only 2hrs from where we are staying!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Roger C, there are a few others places, one i remember was called "Blue Knob" - i kid you not!! But Camelback is certainly the best!!!

Went to Camelback a few times while working in Raritan in New Jersey a few years ago. It's a really really well run hill. There are about 32 runs off this one hill when i was there and plenty of differing terrain. The lifts are all really good as well, high speed quads and 6 man lifsts so although the vertical isn't mind blowing you're soon back up there to go again!! There isn't any off piste and don't go off piste as you'll probably cut your legs off at the top of your boots due to all the pipes that run around for the snowmaking system and the water to run the water park during the summer months! Also you'll never be short on snow there as they have probably the best out door snow making facilities anywhere - everywhere is covered, so although they (and the rest of the east coast) suffer with natural snow falls, they will keep pumping out the artifical stuff!

The website is really good, check out the link to the forum as well for more local (and possibly "honest") information on local conditions and what's going on. There are actually 2 offical websites for Camelback - www.ridecamelback.com and www.skicamelback.com but both pretty much saying the same thing.

I think the season ended at the end of march last year even though they had a full covering of snow on the ground - unlike a lot of the other surrounding areas they don't push it and try and scrape every last penny out of the snow...........the users are putting a lot of pressure on them though to extend the season if conditions are good, i think the problem is the staff already have other jobs to go to Puzzled

Make sure you get there early as the car park fills up very quickly and you could spends hours trying to find somewhere to park and then que up for a ticket etc. It isn't too overcrowded either!!

There may be other places but Camelback is the best i know of and have experience of. If you get the chance to stay over on a Saturday night in the area, stay in the bar at the bottom of the slopes it's a riot in there!!! great bands and lots of pitchers of beers!!! Anymore questions just ask.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
i grew up in pennsylvania. i would suggest that you will have a 50% chance of the resorts being open in late march. if they are open the chances of the skiing being much fun are not particularly good. the last two weeks of march are pretty late for pennsylvania.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just a couple of quick comments ...

1) Ski Roundtop is likely to be the closest to Harrisburg - http://www.skiroundtop.com/rtmaplarge.pdf . It's OK, not great (even for the mid-Atlantic). Unfortunately, it's fairly close to me and I get to ski there more than I would like.

2) Camelback is usually crowded with *extremely* pushy NYC types on the weekends and is NOT considered the best skier's mountain in PA. Weekdays, Camelback is tolerable. In good natural snow conditions, Blue Knob used to be the place to go, but there has been a lot of facilities, environmental and terrain mis-management, so it has fallen dramatically in most people's eyes in the last several years. Probably Elk Mountain (north of Scranton) is generally considered the best skier's mountain in PA: http://www.elkskier.com/trailmap.html

3) Ask the same question on www.dcski.com (or do a search) and you'll get a huge number of knowledgeable replies.

Gotta run. HTH.

Tom / PM
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thanks everyone for the advice

i'll be keeping my fingers crossed that there's still some snow around Pennsylvania in late March
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Roger C, did you get out there? What was it like?

I may be spending a long weekend in Pennsylvania in November, visiting relatives. Are any of the local ski areas likely to be open? I had a look at dcski.com and it refers to "Thanksgiving weekend" as the likely opening date for some areas, but being english I have no idea when that is!! Any help gratefully received, cheers. Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanksgiving is the 3rd Thursday in November
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy