Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I 'may' just have to buy another pair of skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My current quiver is as follows :

Movement Jam 182cm : 82 under foot
Majesty Superior : 178cm : 120 under foot
(I've also got a pair of Coreupt Dirty b'stard but they don't come into this discussion)

I bought the Jams in 182cm length (traditional camber), at the time I was expecting to do far more piste than off-piste so went for the slightly longer ski. On piste, I love them. Occasional forays into the side, they are pretty good. However, I've been skiing more off-piste and am finding the extra length a bit of a handful sometimes.

The Majesty Superior are 178 but as they are twin tipped and rockered tip and tail they are effectively shorter. I've only really skied them in lovely lovely pow and a couple of short piste stretches to get back to the hotel or to join up the off-piste. They aren't the most comfortable things on the piste and are quite hard work.

What I'm wondering is, is it worth getting something in between the Jam and the Superior, or will the Superior be good enough in most off-piste conditions? Am I pigeon-holing the Superior as too much of a powder ski when it's maybe more capable all mountain, just with a powder bias?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If it's 120 underfoot it will never be an injected piste race gate weapon but should still be useable in soft snow. Problem with pistes at least in Europe is they can be hard depending on overnight conditions and subsequently with traffic become scraped neither of wich makes them particularly joyous on a wide rockered ski. I'd also remember that off-piste almost certainly rarely means fluffy untracked pow. My personal bias but I'd consider something in the 105-110 range with a punchy nose, no idea on length I just get the biggest in any range. Maybe scale it down to 95-105 if you're a real lightweight. e.g I'd look at stuff like the Movement Trust, Blizzzard Cochise, Faction equivalent

NB Named skis are just those I've skied or are similar to those I've skied recently rather than a flat out endorsement.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, seeing as you've got em, why not try them out in some less friendly conditions? Seems like they should be fine in any sort of 3d snow, but probably have a bit of a short camber length for them to be nice to use in harder, steeper stuff.

Anyway, isn't the answer to these sort of questions supposed to be "buy another pair of skis"? Lots of nice ~105mm tip-rockered flattish-tail things out there. Even if you change your mind later, you'll be supporting the second hand ski market when you sell em on Twisted Evil
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
[Cynic mode/.].....

Get some 195 GS boards, learn to ski em everywhere!

[Cynic mode off]

Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
gatecrasher wrote:
[Cynic mode/.].....

[Cynic mode off]

Toofy Grin

You mean like the Dynastar V8 Assaults that I've still got and can ski anywhere? Smile
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
gatecrasher, Someone taking my name in vain? However I do have two pairs of 186 WC GS for sale or rent that would fit the bill and submarine in anything over 4cm of unpisted
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cynic, wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

My personal bias but I'd consider something in the 105-110 range with a punchy nose, no idea on length I just get the biggest in any range.

+1

Atm whenever I plan on being offpiste the majority of the day I reach for my 118mm skis - but they're very damp and have a cambered section underfoot (rocker tip and tail), so actually do very well in pretty much all non-groomed conditions. However, I've steadily been bumping up my Sports Pursuit credit, and the next time Voelkl come on I'm gonna grab a pair of the Katanas (or Blizzard Cochise if they come up), I reckon they will be great as a 'bad snow offpiste ski' - deep but frozen solid crud and chop, etc.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
gatecrasher wrote:
[Cynic mode/.].....

[Cynic mode off]

Toofy Grin

You could equally say get a pair of 202 L138's and learn to ski them everywhere...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think I'll just try and use the Majesty in more marginal conditions and see how they perform. I think they maybe are more capable than I'm expecting them to be
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Get some Majesty 'Dirty Bears' - the Superiors are a pure back country ski not designed for piste so it's not a surprise they flap around a bit.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy