Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What size of skis for my son?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have sucked the life out of Google and the amount of conflicting info is enormous. My 5 year old son has just started skiing. He has had 4 x 1 hour lessons on our local dry slope (although 2 of those lessons were on a good covering of the real stuff) and we are about to head off to the Scottish Highlands for (Scottish) half-term and then hopefully somewhere a bit more exotic at Easter.

He has, in my opinion, picked it up very quickly and we've been told by his instructors he is to skip the next level and move on to stage 3. We would probably do this anyway as he has 2 x 1 hour private lessons booked at the Nevis Range next week.

He is a big strong boy who doesn't have much fear and he is big for his age - 122cm and weighs 27kg.

He can be seen in action in lesson 3 -

http://youtube.com/v/gmdW6DUmVRQ

He has been using 110cm skis and I'd like to get him a pair of his own. I've already got him a pair of second-hand boots that were used twice and now have the offer of an almost immaculate set of 118cm skis.

Measured from his toes to his top lip he is 111cm. I'm slightly worried that the 118cm skis are just too big for him at the moment and I don't wnat to scare him off by giving him unmanageable skis. At the same time I don't want to get him a pair that need replacing next year.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

I'm slightly worried that the 118cm skis are just too big for him at the moment

Yes, I'd say they are. At the stage he's at, in that video, I wouldn't have him on anything longer than chin height. I'd rent.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Gaza, welcome to SHs snowHead

Can only tell you my experience with my own son which is this:

Age 4 - 90cm
Age 5 - 100cm and 110cm
Age 6 - 110cm
Age 7 - 120cm
Age 8 - 130cm

And my son is big and tall for age too, just checked the height chart (we have a paper one in the kitchen which we write on every now and again!) and he was the same height at the same age as your son.

You asked for thoughts so just giving mine which is that in my opinion 118 is too long for him, and as for replacing next year, get used to it Laughing You can't avoid it if you want them on the best size for them each year.

I know he is progressing well but he is really still at the very early stages and you could hold him back by putting him on a ski too long for him. At that age and stage, I'd be going shorter not longer. Also in my (bit limited) experience of dry slopes, they tend to use longer skis than the snow domes or resorts.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks both. You have confirmed what I thought, that the 118s are a bit too big for him. I may still get them anyway and keep them for when he is older.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You're going to be replacing them every year at that age as they grow so quick. Work out whether it's worth buying vs renting on that basis, but if you buy second hand they probably won't depreciate much in a year anyway.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
On Rossignol's current size chart for juniors, a child weighing 27 kg would be on a minimum length of 110 cm and a maximum of 125 cm. The chart places your son bang in the middle of two weight categories: 110-115 cm for the 22-27 kg category and 120-125 cm for the heavier 27-32 kg category.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I decided to forgo the 118s and picked up an excellent bargain on Gumtree. The seller had a package on offer - Head Boots, Atomin Supersport S7 - 110cm, decent helmet and poles. All for the bargain proice of £50. The boots had only been used once and were as-new. They are too big for my son but they will fit him next year of the year after. The skis were also in superb condition. I genuinely thought they were new when I saw them. The helmet is of no real interest but the rest of the items were.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy