Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

3 Vallees vs Les Arcs, La Plagne

Poster: A snowHead
Is there anywhere better to ski than the 3V? I am very biased, but can't see myself enjoying anywhere else as much as I do the 3V. We were staying in St Martin, a lovely traditional village, with great runs down home such as Jerusalem (also excellent off piste under the SM 2 chair). Spent lots of time in Meribel and Courchevel, the weather was perfect.

http://youtube.com/v/wfrM5dr1frw

Here is a short video of the trip. I am skiing in Les Arcs in March, how will this compare? I have a La Plagne lift pass as well, where is the best of these two areas to ski? Does anyone have any advice on these ski areas, runs to avoid etc, or any favourite runs?

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
La Plagne glacier huge off-piste from left hand lift at top and good couloir back under cable car you came up in.
You also need to try off-piste in Val d'Isere before you become decided, a steeper experience generally.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sounds like you've already made up your mind, and I'm guessing you will be disappointed as the Paradiski is not your favourite area. From a skiing point of view I don't think there is much difference. Both large areas with a wide range of terrain, mostly covered by snow. What you get out of it depends very much on what you put in to it.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Les Arcs sucks big time NehNeh
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
and la Plagne is even worse NehNeh
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Huge off piste, but it's a secret!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
They are both great areas, depends what you are looking for. I have been to Les arcs twice and never felt the need to go to La Plagne as I am happy to retrace my steps to do the good runs more than once. If you feel the need to cover every piste and do not like to do the same run twice you may need to hit La Plagne after 4 days.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
smithy05 wrote:
Is there anywhere better to ski than the 3V? s

No.

Nice movie. Enjoyed it.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
smithy05, I know both areas well. They are very different. You will only know if you like paradiski after you have been here to try it. Let me know when you are coming and I MIGHT take you around a few of the less known places. Shock Toofy Grin Puzzled Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I am looking forward to trying a different area, I will have a few of my friends with me who are beginners so may not be able to cover great differences unless I separate for a bit. I am there last week of March, how do the two areas compare price wise?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I spent a lot of time in the 3V's in my formative years skiing. I've been about once in the last 10 years. I've been to a couple of smaller resorts of late but I am going to be Paradiski at Easter and then ADH next Christmas. Those edge it for me for right now. There is still some skiing I love in the 3V and hope to get back to at some point.
Quote:

how do the two areas compare price wise?

Prices of what?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Meals on the mountain, drink prices, general prices in resort etc. General living costs whilst out there.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
smithy05, prices will be about the same.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for your help
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Is there anywhere better to ski than the 3V?

Yes, the Espace Killy, but 3V comes a pretty close second. Paradiski not a bad area at all. I found Les Arcs skiing generally more interesting. Good runs include from top of Aiguille Rouge, down to Villaroger if conditions OK, also the treeline reds just above Plan Peisey, especially if snowy or flat light. Easy enough to cross the valley to La Plagne side on brilliantly engineered cable car. However there seemed a lot of tedious slow chairs and easy blue runs before you get to much interesting skiing. From other posts seems La Plagne offers plenty off-piste excitement. Overall, if you've got beginners with you, Paradiski should meet all needs.
latest report
Ok thanks intermediate, I have been looking at the piste map and will remember to try those runs. Is there a lot of tree lined runs in Les Arcs?
ski holidays
I'm a huge 3V fan - but ventured to Paradiski last year - was very lucky to have a chalet located a stones throw from Vanoise express - which meant one day we skiied les arcs the next la plagne, offering us (a group of good intermediates) lots of choice. Overall we decided we preferred, but only just, the les arcs side. If the snow is good the tree lined runs down to places like Montalbert and Villaroger are great fun and always very quiet. I long to get back to VT and Orelle but equally enjoyed Paradiski. I am also staying in les arcs in March as we enjoyed it so much last March.
ski holidays
I have been skiing in both (a couple of times at each). I am limited to skiing at peak times (New Year, Half Term and Easter) and I ahve to say that La Plagne in paticular seems really bad for crowded pistes. I know all resorts suffer this but of all the resorts I've been to La Plagne is one of the worst - even at Easter. In fact, although we were stayed in Les Coches we spent most of our week in Les Arcs - the runs seemed really quiet in comparison with La PLagne. The problem to me seems that they just keep building in La Plagne so there are lots more beds but no extra pistes. There is also a horrendus bottleneck in Belle Plagne - although we did work out a way around that. If you are skiing at off peak times then this won't be an issue. If looking a Paradski then think about places near the Vanoise express - means you are in the centre of a big area and can easily access all that La Plagne and Les Arcs have to offer - and what they offer is certainly as good as the 3V IMHO.
latest report
There has been some work done in La Plagne for this season which may (or may not) improve matters. I'll let you know in April!
latest report
I actually rate Les Arcs with La Plagne ahead of 3V. The black runs in Les Arcs are all seriously challenging and also very interesting runs, and IMO more challenging than those in 3V. Many of the black runs in 3V are average enough, but (nearly) all of them in Les Arcs are just fantastic, and you travel a lot less between them. There are so many reds in 3V, again many repetitive enough, though in fairness some notable exceptions. Reds in Paradiski definitely not amazing though, so 3V wins here. I avoid blues and greens so no comment. My off-piste experience a bit more limited, but all I can say is that the north Face of Bellecote may well be most challenging of all the big famous off-piste runs in Europe, and north Face of Aiguille Rouge also a very serious and long run. But both places have endless off-piste.

It depends on your level, for sheer mileage 3V is best, but if you are up for more challenging slopes and off-piste, i think you will prefer Paradiski (ie Les Arcs with option of skiing LP; I would not stay in La Plagne)
snow conditions
i am a big 3vs fan but i have to agree, if you want fun an good quality cruising with the odd difficult run 3vs, Les arcs is easier to find decent off piste and more challenging stuff...... however if you are prepared to look or use a guide there is some serious stuff in the 3vs
ski holidays
Quote:

I know all resorts suffer this but of all the resorts I've been to La Plagne is one of the worst - even at Easter. In fact, although we were stayed in Les Coches we spent most of our week in Les Arcs - the runs seemed really quiet in comparison with La PLagne. The problem to me seems that they just keep building in La Plagne so there are lots more beds but no extra pistes.

Yep, spot on Sad
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy