Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Back packs with hydro bladder

Poster: A snowHead
I am looking for a new backpack and would welcome any advice and recommendations please

Key things I am looking for are
light weight
hydro pack
not much storage space

Basically I am looking for something small that can hold water to keep me from dehyrating. I stick to the pistes so ne need for ABS, ski carrying etc. I have loooked around a bit and Camel back seems to be quite popular and ticks most boxes. Budget is £40, but would prefer less for what is basically a water carrier on my back.

Cheers
Smag
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
smagsmith, try Decathlon - I got a Camelback for my daughter on her MTB, then realised that Dec have their 'no name' for about 1/3 the price and just as useful. OK, so not insulated/work down to minus stupid, but unless you are looking for the Dogs Bs and the poser name, they do just fine.
1l bladder, plus a small amount of carry space (spare tyres, toolkit, waterproofs, wallet, spare lights, phone, snacks, all fit in... when biking)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have a vango rapide 20, having previously had a gelert bag that was similar. The thing that I would recommend is buying cheap and then ditching the bladder that is included and buying a platypus or camelback. I've had a number of leakage issues with cheap bladders.....one involving a. Now ruined camera Sad
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
smagsmith, I've a couple of spare ones kicking round at my house. But they're about 20L or so capacity so they might be too big?

I'm just over the M62 from you.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Arctic Roll wrote:
smagsmith, try Decathlon - I got a Camelback for my daughter on her MTB, then realised that Dec have their 'no name' for about 1/3 the price and just as useful.

that^^
I got an older version of this one. The bladder is 2L. I even found an after market neoprene sleeve for it, which helps a bit but it'll still freeze when it get below -5.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Bear in mind that it's not uncommon for the water to freeze in the tube running to the mouthpiece. You can help stop that by blowing the water back into the bladder so the hose is empty, but then the risk is you inflate the bladder over the day, meaning it's more likely to burst if you fall heavily on it. Also, even if the hose is empty, the mouthpiece can still freeze.

I just put a Sigg bottle in my pack now. A litre of water is ample for a day out, and I can always refill it at lunchtime or a coffee stop if needs be.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Find that sticking the tube down my back (between clothing layers) defrosts the frozen up mouth-piece. Am thinking about getting a tube thats a little bit longer so it stays down my back.

http://shop.camelbak.com/antidotethermalcontrolkit/d/1139_c_321

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 4-02-13 12:05; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 cran
cran
get a small size bottle of water and put it in your pocket...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There are bags which have an insulated channel in one of the shoulder straps, and you can zip the bite valve away when it isn't in use. Still won't be as freeze-proof as a bottle, mind you. These sorts of bags tend to be marketed towards skiers and snowboarders, so you will probably end up paying a wee bit more.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Serriadh wrote:
There are bags which have an insulated channel in one of the shoulder straps, and you can zip the bite valve away when it isn't in use. Still won't be as freeze-proof as a bottle, mind you. These sorts of bags tend to be marketed towards skiers and snowboarders, so you will probably end up paying a wee bit more.

That's what I have, it still froze up, even when it was zipped away.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
cran wrote:

Then fall over onto it, the water looks lovely as it freezes on your pants. snowHead
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I use a water bladder in my rucksack now, with the hose coiled up in the bag opening. Even that's had ice in the hose once. Been the most convenient way to pack a decent amount of water into a small, low-profile bag. Still have to take the bag off for a drink, but it is at least operable with big dumb mitts on and there's no bottle lid to lose.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mosha Marc wrote:
cran wrote:

Then fall over onto it, the water looks lovely as it freezes on your pants. snowHead

Nah, just get a tougher metal bottle that won't break. I'm sure a hematoma is a perfectly good tradeoff for staying dry Little Angel

But seriously, has anyone actually managed to break a bottle or burst a water bladder skiing? I've never seen it happen, even in fairly energetic crashes.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I use a bladder, on a fall water is forced back into the tube which will then freeze if you forget to blow the pipe empty. Frozen mouthpieces are easy - just take it off and suck it for a while.

I've skied with two people who have found a burst bottle in their pack at the lunch stop.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I was knocked flying by a skier overtaking me, squeezing past at the edge of the piste. The thermos flask of coffee I had in my pack was broken, dented, and I had sore ribs for a while.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
I was knocked flying by a skier overtaking me, squeezing past at the edge of the piste. The thermos flask of coffee I had in my pack was broken, dented, and I had sore ribs for a while.

to be fair, I wouldn't carry a thermos, that's too big and solid and could do some damage. My Sigg bottle is thin-walled aluminium and it'll crush before it does any serious damage to me. Admittedly it'll leak the contents all over the inside of the bag too, but I can dry off some damp spare layers and the inside of the bag quicker than bruises can heal.
latest report
Cheap and cheerful in D W Sports, what used to be JJB - mine is a running backpack with bladder, so very small, onyl room for a few essential bits and pieces so makes it compact and doesn't flap around unnevessarily. Think it was about £15.
snow report
Nalgene wide-mouth bottle:

Doesn't freeze in the pipe
Doesn't have a habit of emptying it's contents in your sack
Doesn't take an age to clean and dry
Does let you see how much is left
Does let you sit on your sack for lunch
Easy to fill and handle
Compatible with all sacks
latest report
I would go with a camelback or a similar priced alternative. The cheaper ones dont have anti bac stuff in the tubes and bladders and can mold up very easly. I have had cheap ones and expensive ones and I think its worth paying extra for a good one - it will last for years. If you get a slim enough one just wear it under your jacket. I do that and it never freezes up. You might look like you have a bit of a hump back...but who cares. £40 should get a camelback on special.
latest report
Thanks for all the replies and advice. I want to keep it low profile. I have a mid range pack at the moment and the tube has never frozen once. It must be the excess heat I give off from all the effort I put in wink

Amyone seen any good offers out there?

cheers
Smag
ski holidays
. wink

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 4-02-13 23:01; edited 1 time in total
latest report
The military Camelbaks are stronger and have a insulated tube as standard, plus the bite valve takes more abuse, you can also retrofit something similar to the cheaper versions. I've used one of those for years the advantage of being able to drink on the move far outweighs the PIA of dealing with cleaning it. Currently it's ill because I lost the seal from the lid somewhere so am experimenting with those folding water bottles instead. Currently it's a PIA to have swinging around or stop and drag it out of my pack. Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
meh, shame on you. 2 x '57 pattern plastic water bottles in carriers on a web belt, shurley, none of yer namby pamby 'Camille-backs' and the like? And nice matched '57 pattern tin mug n' all. Might make crashing a bit more exiting but at least one would be 'suited' correctly.

p.s. they do replacement seals .....
snow conditions
Very Happy

That's cool I'll order a replacement.
snow conditions
meh, I'd be careful when you do, look at the price of this!:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Camelbak-BFM-Multicam-Military-Hydration-backpack-51-Litre-Capacity-/280916451960?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item4167ece278

mind you, you get a lot of necter points ......

Also for all of you with icing problems, Camelbak do a replacement insulated drinking tube for about £20, less than that on sale.
latest report
RattytheSnowRat, err, yikes a 2 grand backpack!
snow conditions
meh, made my package tighten a bit, I can tell you. Mind you, it is 51 litres, but still ......
snow report
surely the 2k price tag is wrong. Who would pay 2k for a camelback that is effectively a normal pack with a bladder in it!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BMG, m8 - it's a typo OR a super aggressive seller. Given the military nature of the item I would not care to guess which. Mind you, it could be there as a price ref for the MOD. 'Look Geoffry - it's £1950 on ebay, I'll do you 250 at £1500 a piece. That means you are saving £112,500!!' 'Spiffing!' {Large G&T's all round}
latest report
Quite a few big ebay sellers do that sort of thing when they don't actually have any stock; possibly by keeping an auction page alive like that they can maintain their search engine ranks or somesuch. If you keep an eye on it, it will return to a sane price in due course when they actually have stock they want to sell.
snow report
I have a Camelback Snoblast and it work really well - the tube is in neoprene and in the shoulder strap. The mouthpiece froze for the first time since I bought it about 5 years ago on Sunday, but it was really cold and it took 1 second to clear. The tube has never frozen, unlike a friend's whose tube is exposed to the elements.
snow report
Quote:

The tube has never frozen, unlike a friend's whose tube is exposed to the elements.

Trousers would help with that. And a zipped fly.
snow report
If you are only skiing on piste and therefore not doing any hiking, can't you just wait until lunch for a drink? Humans aren't balanced on a knif edge of hydration/dehydration - you can go a few hours between drinks.
snow conditions
kat.ryb, I could wait, but I like to have the option. Esp if it the day after a heavy night.
snow report
Rule 5
latest report
feef, Rule number 7
snow conditions
kat.ryb, experience has taught me not, I get incredibly dehydrated at altitude. Waiting until lunch, or the whole having to fish a bottle of water out from your bag - much prefer the bag I have with a small-ish bladder to keep me going.
snow conditions
smagsmith, yeah rule feaking 7, feef!

Despite have a Camelback and an older water bladder, I just bought the Dragon's den/collapsible water bottle/aquatina. Despite some reports elsewhere it seems to be air-tight, let alone water-tight, and, I assume, given that it is desgined to collapse, it has a better than average change of surviving a fall.

I like the idea of having bottles that will fold down out of the way when they are not being used. It also means you can carry a specualtive one for during-the-day refills without much downside and much reduced haemotoma possibilites. Mind you, same could be said of a Camelbak. I suppose cleaning the bottles is easier.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy