Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Size 6 feet, but big calfs, agonising cramp.

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

It's that time of year again, totally forgot my sign-in details but have managed to re-register Very Happy

I promise myself each year that I will sort out my problems before I go skiing, and this year I'm determined to.

I tend to go skiing once a year and I'm an okay skier. I've got size 6'ish feet, I'm about 5' 7" but I have very well built calf's. The boots I've currently got were heat moulded on purchase (6 weeks skiing use), have got the in-soles that were also heat moulded, but after about 30 mins of skiing, once my calf muscles are fully pumped, give me agonising cramp in the calf. If I put my boots to their largest setting they are still quite tight.

I guess I'm asking for general advice here, but I suspect I've got kids length feet, but big-blokes legs. Yeah yeah yeah heard all the small feet jokes, and yeah my nose is small! Yawn! Anyway, is there a particular boot manufacturer I should be looking at? My current Technica boots are the only ones I've ever really used repeatedly and they were fitted at a reputable ski-boot-shop in Chelmsford, Essex. Kinda feel like not going back to them though as I've been back to explain my problems and I ended up spending a few quid on moulded in-soles which didn't really help.

The cramp I get is excruciating and my mate is getting less and less patient as every year I spend half the day whimpering and undoing my boots completely as I prop myself up on my poles saying "Blow this, I can't dashing well go any further" (or words to that effect).

Sorry for probably repeating the same old same old question.

Thanks!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Markos, If you can bear the shame.....check out women specific boots! They are designed for small feet/fat calves...I know exactly the symptoms you describe as I'm built the same way. The only downside is they often have heel lifters to cater from womens centre of gravity differences....worth talking to a good boot fitter for advice on which ones might be suitable for a bloke?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have a feeling the ones I've got are womens! Embarassed

I certainly remember the bloke in shop saying exactly what you just said.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Markos, SMALLZOOKEEPER will be able to give you a good answer on boot fit.

Your calves shouldn't be touching the back of the boot - your shins shjould be (gently) pushing on the tongue.......
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jeez... mine are way off then. I get a ring around my calf where the boot ends below the knee. (I'm not over weight by the way, so it's not because I'm flabby etc).

SmallZooKeeper? Is that a member of the forum, or is that a website / shop?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Markos, Member of the forum but also runs business in Chamonix so is an expert on all things booty!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ahhh har... ok thankyou Smile
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Markos, Try this.

Put you boots on, flex your ankles forward (a bit) - your calves should not be touching the back of the boot, but your shins should on the front.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Markos,

I feel your pain!!!

I have size 9's but big, tight calves. I had desperate trouble with some Nordica Grand Prix (blue/silver ones) boots a few years ago. THey felt really nice and snug in the shop. Unfortunately they cut off the blood supply to my calves - bad, bad cramp. Like you I got a very clear imprint of the top of the inner boot all round my lower leg. For a while I just thought that I'd regressed in my technique (sitting back, leaning on my boot backs) but when I finally switched to something roomier in the lower leg (and not much less stiff) I was instantly back on form. May be I was wasteful but I seriously doubted that enough could be done by a boot fitter to increase the volume in the Grand Prix* cuffs - I bought new boots (interestingly also Nordicas Next 9.0 - fairly standard 4 clip boot but much more spacious in the cuff).

I'd try some new boots.

* any offer for boots skied in for 6 days considered!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Markos, I have the same build and switched to a women’s model Head "World Cup" boot. I'm not recommending Head as such because the actual make of boot will depend on many other things but the high end (the lower models were too flexy for me) women’s boot with a Confortable insole has been fine.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I really appreciate the advice folks, I'm going to go out to the boot fitters now with at least a little less worry that I am a freak of nature, and this problem can be got around.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Markos, Let us know how you get on !
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Will do!!!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
have the fitters check your stance in the boots as well as the fit around the leg.

Some boot geometries can put your butt back when your knees go forward.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Markos wrote:
I really appreciate the advice folks, I'm going to go out to the boot fitters now with at least a little less worry that I am a freak of nature, and this problem can be got around.

Markos, this is going to be a little difficult as you are, not with a bootfitter. I would say this all about ramp angle and tendon length. Given that you have a large calf, i would think that you are slightly less flexible than the average. This will mean when stood in your ski boots you are being forced into the forward lean angle of the boot. This is being made worse by your large calf. The angle that you are now being forced into, however, is too much for the flexiblity of your achillies tendon. The strain is then taken in the calf and often feels like the boots are strangling the calf.

The solutions i have, are plenty however you are there and i am here and it would be pointless and probably confusing to descuss here. Geneva airport is very easy to get to and Chamonix is a nice place to visit, aside coming here, work hard at stretching out , get a heal lifter put between the liner and the shell, also take off any spoilers you have in the back of the boot. You could go see the guys at Lockwoods and get them to call me when you're there. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Thanks SmallZooKeeper. I'd love to come out to Chamonix for the boots!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy