Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help please Alpach, Ellmau or other early March

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Good evening all from Cornwall,

Im looking to book for 2nd March to Austria on a tight buget, hence resort choice.

Although we are very experienced skiers my partner is just learning to Telemark so wants easy blues etc. Very large ski area and apre ski NOT necessary.

For convenience to slopes and best chance of snow would either Ellmau or Alpach be a good bet. Altitude looks to be OK an both are pretty

Never been to Austria so any help would be most appreciated.

Thankyou
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
susieski, Most of the hotels offered by UK tour ops in both those resorts are a short bus ride from the slopes, although there are a few closer.

Ellmau has more easy blues - and in particular you can't get off the mountain on blues at Alpbach, you either have to take a red or come down in the gondola.

Also most of blues there are at Alpbach are tracks, rather than wide pistes. They are IMO quite enjoyable tracks, but I know some people don't like that type of run at all.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hi susie
we are just back from a week in austria and stayed in Ellmau. I wouldn't say that the blues in the ski welt were particularly easy, in fact i would say they were particuolary taxing. conditions werent the best this week, the slopes were either really icy or ridiculously bumpy and for us advanced beginners made it for quite a frustrating week. Anyway that was only my opinion of it and I am sure there will be more people coming along with a different view, I can only tell you how it was for us last week. If its easy blues you want then I would seriously take a look at Valmorel in France (I think crystal go there) and also Les Saisies in France. both offer true cruisy blues.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
susieski, The whole of the Ski Welt system is extremely well signposted and laid out, however depending just on a diagram-type piste map is silly. All the runs are numbered to the lifts they serve and allocated a blue or a red (usually) grading. There are a few "interesting" blacks but these are also numbered according to the number of the lift that serves them. Trying to navigate just by the map is a waste of time to be honest, make a note of the lifts you need to get from A to B, even if you want to go via X, Y and Z; then follow the signs at the top of each piste and at each junction.

It is fantastic cruising country for most intermediates, it most certainly is not an advanced skiers resort, as it has little access to good off-piste. The best areas for that are over on the Choralpe above Westerndorf.

polo99, Perhaps you would have been better served had you joined one of the excellent ski schools in the area and been shown which pistes would suit your abilityand enable you to progress as opposed to regress, rather than regress due to being unsettled by your guesswork. But to condem and criticise a resort because you did not understand the map or made mistakes about guessing which runs suited your ability, is a myopic view to say the least!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank you all for your info.
It was in fact convenience to slopes we needed info on which has been answered.
We have now booked something high altitude with ski to door.
Cheers All
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy