Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski scotland advice

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, im after a bit of advice, hopefully the well traveled Of you will be able to help me out?

I would like a weekend with my son and wife in scotland. This will be within the next couple of weeks, traveling from the midlands, setting off friday morn and returning sun night/mon morn. Here comes the questiones!

1-which is the best resort to visit?
2- travelling from midlands, which travel method would you advise? Car train or plane?
3- what are the costs for a weekend family pass?

We are all pretty good skiers, lets say intermediate level, can quite easily ski red routes, but not quite ready for the black stuff, unless its in a pint glass.

I have no experience with UK skiing, but all the advice would be greatly recieved.

Kindest regards

Ian.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There is some fantastic skiing in Scotland, but you do need to be flexible to get the most out of it.

1. Which ever center has the best snow/weather forecast when you set off.

2.Car. You can go by train, but the car gives you much more flexibility to move between the centers if conditions require.

3. All the prices and information can be found at : http://ski.visitscotland.com/

Good luck, hope you get great snow.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We do the following for a (slightly) longer weekend, and yes from the Midlands - I pick oski up from school at 2.30pm on the Friday.....
Book hotels far in advance: Friday in Perth, Saturday in Inverness, Sunday in Fort Bill. This gives us maximum flexibility and if you decide not to go then we've only spent £75 or so.
Assuming we do go (and we've never NOT gone):
Saturday preference is for Glenshee or maybe Cairngorm, whichever has the best reports, but if you have to trek over to Nevis/Glencoe, then that is not unrealistic.
Sunday preference is Cairngorm, but we'd done Lecht in the past, or head south for Nevis.
Monday it's Nevis, but we can backtrack to Cairngorm, or (if heading home) Glencoe.
Tuesday same choice as Monday. After skiing, drive home (lots of caffeine) and go to work the next day...

List prices as per previous poster's link.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 3-02-13 10:47; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Assuming we do go (and we've never yet):

Puzzled so how many hotel bookings have you had to waste?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Go wherever the weather is best. All the ski areas have pretty good snow ATM with more forecast at the start of next week. Check out these:
http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/

I do the exact opposite of RobW and book very last minute. Never before thursday, sometimes friday morning. Usually stay in Glasgow on Friday night as I work late and that's as far as it is sensible to go. It's a minimal diversion for all ski areas. I just use late rooms, other similar websites are available.

I prefer skiing the west coast but Glenshee is maybe more family friendly. Glencoe and Nevis are steep but the scenery from each and on the drive between is top class.
Cairngorm is almost invariably the busiest but lots of runs available off the funicular if you get tired of surface lift (yes, you have to ski uphill too mostly). Cairngorm is also significantly further than the other 3:
http://www.highland-instinct.co.uk/skiresorts/

One thing to bear in mind when it is snowing is that the Glenshee & Cairngorm car parks are up very steep hills at >600m. Glencoe and Nevis have much lower base stations.
There is lots of accommodation near Cairngorm and between Glencoe & Nevis (hundreds of B&Bs/hotels etc). Less around Glenshee but I think a decent example of whatever type of accommodation you want is nearby:
http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/read.php?4,147930
Braemar and Blairgowrie aren't far.

The easiest trip is up the A82: Nevis on Saturday, Glencoe on Sunday (that way you're 45mins closer to home) but most combinations are doable.
Whatever you do, the worst bit of the drive will be getting to the M55 junction, the traffic thins out loads after it.

Do a search & you'll find more in-depth stuff about each resort. There is even a trip report for some of them.

Pam, I think Rob is going to come back and add a 'not' into his post
wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
what...snow wrote:

Pam, I think Rob is going to come back and add a 'not' into his post
wink

Correct!! We've always gone.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Feldyourno1 ... on my most recent trip in April 2010 I skied 4 out of 5 Scottish areas in 5 days. Cairngorm remains the best set-up including on-hill eating at the Ptarmigan, but it can be a zoo in terms of queuing. It's OK if all lifts are running.

what...snow gives excellent advice. Winterhighland is your friend for keeping closely in touch with conditions and operations. If you stay somewhere like Grantown-on-Spey you could hit Cairngorm or The Lecht.

If you stay in Fort William you could ski Glencoe or Nevis.

But Glenshee has a great deal going for it.

I'd check weather forecasts very carefullly and book late, personally.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The next couple of weekends will be into the half term period, which is very busy in Aviemore and on CairnGorm (current cover with all lifts running spreads people out though), so at this stage I'd leave booking till the last minute as you may then get some last minute bargins show up. Also lets you plan according to the weather. Staying outside Aviemore if your coming by car would also as suggested above allow you to position yourself between CairnGorm and the Lecht (Carrbridge / Grantown direction) or if you want to hedge bets between East and West (Kingussie or Newtonmore).

At present all five areas have a good base, a few more days of stormy and snowy weather is on the cards for the first half of the coming week. From your opening description CairnGorm or Glenshee may suit you best in terms of terrain and range of it. If the reds you are used to skiing are wide groomers, be prepared that some red runs here almost never see a groomer at all, plus there is lots of options in bounds to try riding unpisted 'off-piste' slopes of green and blue gradient at present with the extensive base.

The West Coast doesn't get the same level of half term influx, so esp during the week is well worth a trip for anyone else planning a few days over mid February. As others have said there is countless hotels and B&B's along the A82 corridor from Glencoe to Nevis Range.

Pix from Glencoe yesterday: http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=850

^Skiers on Happy Valley (Blue) at Glencoe on Saturday.

Doing it without a car - a final thought:

If Crewe is easily accessible to you (or London Euston / Watford Junction), then the ScotRail Caledonian Sleeper to Aviemore could be an option for you. Rather than leaving Friday morning and travelling during the day, you could leave on Thursday night and arrive in Aviemore at 7.40am, allowing you to ski on the Friday too. There is a bus from the Railway station at 8.25 (weeekends and local non school days only for this one) and then hourly from 9.25am to CairnGorm (drops you right outside the Base Station door). This option would mean you would only need accommodation for Fri and Sat nights, and could travel South overnight on Sunday leaving Aviemore at 21.15 on Sunday.

Bear in mind in terms of Sleeper costs, that you are saving two nights hotel accommodation. As for accommodation in Aviemore, ask about to see if places can either pick you up or let you drop off your luggage on the Friday morning. Some people that were on the snowHead Scottish Bash in 2011 had a great time in a small guest house who allowed them to drop of their luggage on arrival and then pick it up after a day on the slopes, but can't remember which one it was! Maybe someone will be along to say...

A couple of questions for the OP

Would you be bringing your own equipment?
Are you all skiers and are you comfortable using surface lifts? (if your not experienced in using tows esp if you have boarders in your family, then CairnGorm moves out to a clean winner in terms of destination as a first visit as the Funicular provides access to much more terrain than any individual chairlift at the other areas).
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I don't own a car but have always hired one to ski in Scotland rather than get the train. Reasons are;
- it allows flexibility to follow the best weather, or do something else if the resorts are closed
- it's easier to carry all the ski equipment in a boot than on the train
- when I last checked buses didn't seem to be that frequent from the towns to the ski centres

The best resort would probably be the one with the best snow that day and it does depend which slopes/lifts are open in each resort. Personally I love Glenshee as there can be a feeling of travel, and there are a few options down which means the crowds aren't all funneled into the same slope (which was how Cairngorn felt to me one time).
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Winterhighland wrote:
are you comfortable using surface lifts?

What a wonderful term form a 1960s drag lift Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you take the car it gives you the flexablility. Rather than go friday AM can you do Thursday PM and get as close to Glasgow as possible then travel lodge it. Aim for Glen Coe or Glenshee for the Friday. If it's Glenshee you could then stay in Braemar which gives you Lecht or Glenshee again for the next couple of days. Cairngorm would be a longer drive round but do able, you'd also need to set off earlier to beat ticket office queues.

More flexability but more travel time Pitlochry might be another option for Glenshee. You are then less than an hour to Glenshee but do run the risk of the road being closed off. Less than an hour and a half (?) to Cairngorm or Nevis. If you go up the A9 Nevis is only about 20miles (round trip) more than Cairngorm.

Glencoe you could then stay in Fort William which gives you Nevis on your door step, Glencoe and easy trip away and Cairngorm a much longer one but still doable for the day.

This is my first season of regular Scottish skiing and I'm coming at it from driving up and back from Stirling area most times. Cairngorm is cairngorm, cant really add much more - need to get up and re-aqqaint myself with the Ciste gully etc then I'll have a better idea. Not done Lecht yet. Glenshee is good because you travel around and it is possible to spend a day riding on each side of the road. Mainly because I like the feel of being in the mountains I like Nevis Range and Glen Coe. Glencoe because of the terrain and scenery. Nevis, mainly because I don't go over the back (yet), it's the scenery. The view from the summit run is fantastic.

Pesonally - if the weather and snow are good I'd say go west for the experience, check the Scotland thread in resort reports for Winterhighlands comments about grades though. I've found the Winterhighland website really useful for getting the 'locals' view on things.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm going to Scotland during half term and - weather permitting - hope to ski at 3-4 centres. I've been told ski hire can be a bit hit and miss at the mountain and to hire skis for the whole trip. Has anyone experienced problems with the rental skis at these places?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
justatheory, Equipment Hire at all the areas will be busier than normal, partly this is due to bigger numbers, but it's also one of the busiest times for Ski Schools so the larger proportion of novices without their own kit also increases the pressure on the on mountain equipment hire.

Fitting boots and skis is not a quick process to do it properly and safely, with a larger proportion of inexperienced newbies than outwith holidays this inevitably means more time has to be spent with each customer to ensure they get what they need. There is not much way around the fact it's a slow and time consuming process.

If you hire off the mountain for the duration of your visit, preferably the day or early evening before you plan to ski, then you can hit the slopes first thing with no waiting around for hire. You are ready to go to.

Having said all that, if you have your own equipment (and aren't restricted by luggage restrictions) then take it with you and use it! That is what it is for and that is the best way of avoiding any time in the hire shop. snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
justatheory,

For example i was at cairngorm on Saturday and there was still a queue out the door of the upper level of the Dayodge at 10.30, which I assume was people queueing for ski hire, so I'd always recommend you're own kit or hiring off mountain.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Cheers Winterhighland, Dave Horsley, I've not got my own skis, but have my own boots so think I'll just hire from one of the shops in Aviemore. The idea of getting my own skis is becoming more appealing, especially as I'm going on 3 trips this year so I'd recoup a bit on hire costs.
snow report
justatheory, when are you planning to come? Ellis Brigham Mountain Sports and Glencoe Mountain Resort are having an equipment demo weekend at Glencoe on Sat 9th and Sunday 10th February, would be an opportunity to try out various of this years skis on a mountain before you buy.
snow conditions
justatheory, when we have been we have always used A small place on the ski road on the way up. Having sails that, last time we were there we stayed at the Hilton who have their own hire stuff. After having seen the ques, I would, personally, always hire off the mountain anyway.
latest report
Winterhighland, Shame, I'm heading up the weekend after. I think I'll hire some from Rivington Alpine, they only charge £49 for the week, although I'm not sure if they're any good!
snow report
if you;re hiring for £49, then keep en eye out on here for some skis to buy - you might not pay much more and they'll pay for themselves in n no time at all
snow conditions
nbt, that's the dilema, I'm hiring in Morzine and Val T end of season too and would've paid 2/3 of the cost of new skis by then. Suppose there's cost of transport, service and bags etc to consider as well though.
snow conditions
nbt, that's the dilema, I'm hiring in Morzine and Val T end of season too and would've paid 2/3 of the cost of new skis by then. Suppose there's cost of transport, service and bags etc to consider as well though.
snow conditions
Quote:
Has anyone experienced problems with the rental skis at these places?
On a weekend morning at Cairngorm, the queue to hire equipment on the mountain stretches out of the door and down towards the car park. We've also seen Glencoe cleaned out of hire kit and big queues at Nevis and Glenshee.

We have our own gear - but the queuing doesn't look like too much fun. Best to hire off the mountain.

The lift ticket queue can be ridiculous at Cairngorm too - so either:
- Buy in Aviemore (at Aviemore Ski Rentals - see website).
- Or book online and collect your ticket from the Rangers' Office at the base station (no queue).
snow report
Quote:
The idea of getting my own skis is becoming more appealing

justatheory: Got my last skis here - excellent service and prompt delivery:

http://www.skiwear4less.com/acatalog/copy_of_Mens_Skis.html

Call me tight but absolutely no need to pay Ellis Brigham/Snow and Rock prices in my book - all the more to spend on skiing Very Happy!
latest report
justatheory, try these from Mosha Marc?

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=97492

If you're going twice in a season, then the cost of hiring is greater than the cost of transporting and servicing. After that it's about the hassle of carrying skis and the purchase price versus learning how new skis behave. Worth checking in decathlon too, they have had some excellent bargains available if you don't want / need extremely high performance kit
ski holidays
Which resort would you say is the best?
latest report
Quote:
Which resort would you say is the best?
garbit: All are different and all have their pros and cons. We love them all - although the Lecht is small and has only a 200m vertical drop. It's still good fun though. We've had brilliant days out at all of the Scottish areas.

In reasonable snow and decent weather, all are great fun. Our favourite is Cairngorm - extensive slopes, reliable snow (for Scotland), good skiing on and off piste. Most years you can ski there from November until April at least - and it's not unusual for them to be open into May. The end of last season was amazing - we skied until the end of May.

A few general tips for Scotland:
- Don't expect the Alps or Alpine conditions (though snow can be fantastic of course).
- Do expect some great scenery - though don't always expect to see it (fog can be an issue).
- Do expect every snow condition from rock hard hardpack to windblown powder - sometimes on the same run.
- Don't expect fast lifts and modern infrastructure - button tows, T-bars and 6 or 7 slow chairs (in total across Scotland) are the order of the day. (NB. There's a fast bottom to top funicular at Cairngorm.)
- Do expect some queuing on weekends and school hols.
- Don't expect accommodation at the ski area (except Glencoe, which has self-catering 'Hobbit houses' this season) - or any kind of resort when you get to the ski area.
- Do visit with an open mind - remember that it will never be Courchevel - and you may be very pleasantly surprised.
- Do check the weather forecast and be very flexible with your travel plans - book accommodation as near as you can to departure day. Abort the whole trip if the weather's not playing ball.
- (In general) don't go if winds are forecast to be above about 40mph - it can all depend on aspect of the ski area but anything at or above that speed can be Hell.
- When it's good it's very very good.
- When it's bad....it's still better than a good day at work Smile.
- And as they often say....if you can ski Scotland, you can ski anywhere.

Enjoy Very Happy
ski holidays
mountainaddict wrote:
- Don't expect accommodation at the ski area (except Glencoe, which has self-catering 'Hobbit houses' this season) - or any kind of resort when you get to the ski area.

Alternatively, an air bed makes mid winter overnighting in the car park quite comfortable or just pitch a tent nearby in late season. Either way, single malt helps with sleeping. Cool
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy