Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Montgenevre to Claviere and Back

Poster: A snowHead
We are off to Montgenevre in March and would like some help from you knowledgeable people on the routing to and fro Claviere. My missus is a competent skier but extremely lacking in confidence and when she sees a red lollipop turns into a gibbering wreck, sits down on the snow and refuses to move. The route to Claviere looks possible on a green which is obviously fine (as long as it doesn't involve walking or pushing as this turns me the same way!), but can anyone confirm that the route back is only via a red from the top of the Col Boeuf lift. Is this correct please and if it is what is it the run like, can I tempt the missus by telling her its quite an easy red? Supplementary question, is it worth taking her over there given her shortcomings?
Thanks in advance.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

given her shortcomings?

or, more tactfully, given her "misgivings?"

To look on the bright side of a flat run, skating and using your poles to push is extremely good aerobic exercise and a particularly fine way of toning up your triceps. wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Or, why not fix up some private lessons for her, with a suitably sexy French instructor, while you go and hit some steeps?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Kaiser846, I've done it but cannot completely remember! Will see if I can find a piste map, as far as I remember though it's easy to Claviere but the last bit is a cross country track and flat, going to Montgenevre is a red but keep to left and a short way down there is a small track with a small white sign saying Montgenevre, from there its just ansimple track, if you miss the sign then the rest of the red is fairly steep. That was 4 years ago though when I was terrified of reds and I did it no problem.
Just looked and yes pretty sure it's the red 99 you can see it goes left through the trees or back down to Claviere. Have fun Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Pam W - Fair point on the misgivings - well put! Sadly we could have bought a small ski resort on what we've spent on lessons, all to no avail, I am afraid it is not skiing ability that causes the problem, it's between the ears! Long story but lets just say a near fatal push bike accident involving no helmet in 2007 did not help, everything okay now apart from skiing confidence has not returned to levels before the accident. To be fair happy that we can ski together but need to plot out our routes carefully before going anywhere, hence the question.

Feefee - sounds promising on the red back, can anyone confirm??

Kais
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Kaiser846, maybe you should take up cross-country skiing. It's technically as challenging as downhill and, of course, terribly good for you. wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kaiser846, We were in Claviere last March, loved it!!

We had our 4 year old son (well a week short of 5) and did the trip over to Montgenevre a couple of times. Montgenevre to claviere, if taking the easy route is via a green nearly flat trail, so there is a lot of pushing involved. It's not too bad, we probably found it harder as wee one didn't have poles or if he did didn't really know how to use them, so we also couldn't get up much speed when there was a chance to. There is another way back, that my OH did when he went over to Mongenevre himself to drop wee ones skis off, but not sure what the runs were, I'll ask when he gets out of his pit!

From Claviere to Montgenevre is fairly easy, the wee one did it no problem. Everyone kept telling us about the red to get over, but we were always on a black?? Not sure where we went wrong, but, it is a very very easy black, and only the top section, really just cutting across it and down slightly, honestly it was like an easy red - it's Italy, I always find their runs easier than France. The only bit I panicked about was where you join the red trail, because it had an edge to it, I was worried the wee one would have too much speed joining it and not go round the bend but straight over! Though that was a usual "mummy" panic, and also because I thought he had no concept of where he was going at that age. He did it a couple of times no problem, and it was always early morn as we were heading over to Mongenevre, so snow was more hard packed, and a bit icy. I know kids don't have the fear that adults do, but honestly, apart from joining the red trail, I was never worried that it was too much for him, and he is only a snow plougher.

I would think Claviere is worth going to, and with it being Italy, your wife may find the runs gentler. Couple of nice bars, we found a great one if its nice and sunny, by accident. It has a small decked area with a glass window all round with a lovely view. I'll try and find our piste map to check out runs etc.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I agree with Gilly's comments. It is worth spending a day in Claviere. There are some very gentle tree lined reds there that would possibly be classified as blues in France. Also more mountain cafes in Claviere than Montgenevre.

When going from Montgenevre you should definitely take the green golf course route (not the higher run). It starts off down a cross country track and then for the last bit you have to follow other people's tracks to find the way through. Last time we seemed to go over a stream (small bridge) a couple of times and round a tennis court but we made it to the lift in Claviere without taking our skis off. The time before we didn't have enough momentum and ended up carrying our skis for a bit.

The red from col de boeuf back to Montgenevre is not too difficult. The only time we've had a problem with it was right at the end of last season when we found it closed and it was therefore more like off piste skiing. In march it will be open and pisted so you will have no problem with it.

Do not take your wife up to the higher red run from Mongenevre to claviere which starts from Roche D'aigle. It is marked as red but is really more black at the top.

Your wife will love montgenevre - there are plenty of gentle runs in the Gondrans area on the north side. On the south facing side there is a long blue called the Pharoah (I think). There is only one really difficult red (Prarial). My 7 yr old daughter did the other reds at 1 star level so your wife should be fine.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Never mind the skiing -- just think of the food ! Several really nice restaurants in Claviere village. You do need to walk up from the snow... but well worth it :s
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Snowymum' s comments are spot on. In March the golf course is worth doing early when the snow is still cold and hast. If your wife has confidence problems then the Colle Verde way over Eagle Rock is a definite nono.

The 'red' o the way back is one short section between a series of paths. Remeber that reds in Italy are more like blues everywhere else. We have taken some serious cases too and from Claviere in the past and the route back is fine.

Also the food and hot chocolate are a lot better in Italy than France. The skiing is also lovely in both resorts.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Kaiser846, Mrs cstreat and me are there on 16th March; any other tips much appreciated. Have fun.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks all, I think we will be giving it a go. Anyone know best bar to catch the Rugby on 26th March, it could be a big one.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
By the way I meant 16th March, that is the day we get there.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi - Mrs Cunners here using his log-in! Just thought I'd add my thoughts as we were in Montgenevre early January this year. We went to Claviere over the top way twice as we didn't realise there was another way. Whilst Mr C is an expert skier, I am an intermediate at best and not terribly keen on blacks to be honest.

The red option is more of a chute in order to miss the very steepest bit of the black at the top. The red chute is fairly narrow in my opinion. Mr C said there was plenty of room to put in some turns but I found it easier to do one long snowplough rather than trying to do turns as the sides were banked up with snow. The chute brings you out on to the main slope which then has black marker poles all the way down. It was reasonably steep but conditions were good so I coped reasonably well. However, as we did this first thing in the morning, this was effectively my warm-up and so I probably found it more hard work that if I'd done it later in the day.

We then discovered how to get there along the bottom along the green track. You go left along the cross-country track and then cross over the footbridge over the stream. After the stream, there isn't really a formal track but its still flat and perfectly ok to schuss along. Then keep left along the edge of the trees and you come out by a restaurant and then you come to the chair lift. We then did this route for the rest of the week and I was surprised how close it was. The main reason was that I didn't want to tire myself out on a black run as the first run of the day!

PS - we recommend the Montsoleil restaurant at the bottom end of red run 93. It has a proper (ahem) toilet! The 93 run is quite nice and it has several turn-offs (called "Bis" routes) which link back in again and if you take the first left "Bis" you miss out a bit of a steeper bit.

Hope you have a great time!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I would certainly be up for watching rugbyKaiser846, Tell me what you find; we are staying at Dolines
snow conditions
Four of us going, we are staying in the Anova Hotel, no idea where this is but have been told the Graal (is that how you spell it?) is the place where we could watch the rugby? Happy to meet up and watch us seal the GS (wishful thinking??)!!
Kais

Thanks Mrs Cunners - the green route does not sound as if it is very well sign posted but good description. My missus has perfected the medium speed long snowplough on the narrow roads so that isn't too mush of a problem, black lollipops are a real no no though! A restaurant with a real seat, well that is a luxury!

Cheers

Kais
ski holidays
I agree with what others have said. The green towards Claviere is a bit of a pole/skate but it quite pretty, through the trees next to a stream. You may see people snow shoe walking along the path, sometimes with dogs. It really is very flat, so not at all scary.
The red back to montgenevre is fine, although there are a couple of short, steepish bits. At the top of the lift you turn right, then can either go straight on along a flattish track or fork right down a short, moderately steep section (red poles). Take the right fork, as the flat track actually goes to the start of the black. Then the piste flattens out until you reach the black. At this point the black is fairly gentle (blue piste gradient) and you will need to put in a few turns before crossing to the other side, where the red piste continues more gently. Just make sure you check upslope before starting to cross. The red then continues fairly flat for most of the way to monty, often as a snaking narrow track through the trees, with one more piste crossing (this time a red). Just as you arrive in monty, the piste gets very flat so you do need to schuss through a little tunnel, else you end up poling. Most beginners are capable of doing this run by aboutday 4 or 5, so your partner should be fine.
latest report
Is it realistic to take a novice 4 and 6 year old down the green track to Claviere?

I seem to remember quite a lot of pushing (and as they won't have poles, that means me pushing/pulling/cajoling).

A taxi wouldn't be that much would it if we wanted to go and drink hot chocolate in Italy?

Thanks.
ski holidays
Our just short of 5 years son did it. He didn't have poles so we would get him to hold onto one of ours at times and pull him along. They could even just take their skis off and walk it. Just means it is slow for you on skis.

The way back could be more tricky if they are only just starting. Our son has been skiing since 3 years, so could manage the way back ok, that was his 4th week holiday, with dry slope lessons in between.
snow report
Kaiser846 wrote:
We are off to Montgenevre in March and would like some help from you knowledgeable people on the routing to and fro Claviere. My missus is a competent skier but extremely lacking in confidence and when she sees a red lollipop turns into a gibbering wreck, sits down on the snow and refuses to move. The route to Claviere looks possible on a green which is obviously fine (as long as it doesn't involve walking or pushing as this turns me the same way!), but can anyone confirm that the route back is only via a red from the top of the Col Boeuf lift. Is this correct please and if it is what is it the run like, can I tempt the missus by telling her its quite an easy red? Supplementary question, is it worth taking her over there given her shortcomings?
Thanks in advance.

A group of us went to Monty for a week 12th Jan.
My mrs is similar to yours, perfectly competent intermediate skier, but has lollipop-phobia - anything red / black and she freezes!

After a few days we skied over to Clavier, we went the high route, up Rocher L'Aigle, and then on the red path down into Clavier.
My Mrs managed this, but was a bit freaked out at the point that this red meets the black off the top - in fairness this bit was very steep (Black rated I'd say) and icy...not for the feint hearted. (apart from this top bit the rest of the reds we skied in Clavier were probably over-rated, and she managed perfectly fine)

Skiing back to Monty from Clavier she found very easy, all red runs but to be honest I'd say they'd be blues in France.

So, in summary, if your mrs is lacking in confidence, probably best to ski the long green path to get to Clavier (though it does look pretty flat so might require poling?), but the return runs should be well within her ability / confidence levels.

One note of warning - Clavier seemed to be full of "flat spots", and we spent the day poling around because we'd not realised in advance and hadn't built up enough speed to get past them!!!

You'll have a great time in Monty, fab little resort, really quiet pistes / lifts, great snow and runs Smile
snow report
If poling along the green seems like it will be too slow/hard work and the red back might spook, then think about getting the bus. The bus doesn't run very often (maybe every 2 hours) but is cheap and quick. Check the tourist office for times? The bus will stop outside the church in Claviere, and directly behind the church is the nursery slopes and the lifts.
Taxi could be a possibility but will be more pricey. Just another thought.
snow conditions
Kaiser846, The Graal is the cafe of the Hotel Alpis Cottia, on the Rue de Italie, just next to the main road through the town. It`s a short walk from where we are staying on the Italy side of town. We will be just checking in at 5pm, so I will run that past Mrs cstreat, but if it is for the championship, well......Last week went well for England... Sorry all Welsh, French, Scots Twisted Evil
snow report
Will also be in claviere from the 10th to the 17th of march, hopefully get in resort in time for Italy v England . Hope to see you all enjoying the slopes....
ski holidays
Was there 2 weeks ago. Very very easy green across the golf course over from Montgenevre. The top way however, is tough for anyone who is a little nervous, and is often left unbashed, apparently (accodrding to the Italians anyway) because the French are "too lazy" to send a pistebasher up there and do it. Read into that what you will, but it means after a snowfall its brillaint!

The reds in Claviere are really like French blues, apart from the one down to Sagnalogna. The food is great, any of the mountain restuarants are good to stop at.

Getting back to Montgenevre, in March, could be interetsing. I was there easter last year, and the red that runs over to France from the righthand lift from Claviere village snowfront, was never bashed, meaning that it was thin, icy, patchy, stony and pretty nasty in places, especially in the flat section after the steeper pitch. However, when i was there in Jan it was great, the red isnt all that steep and nice and wide, and then it turns into a little path which a begginner after 3 days of skiing was happily able to navigate.

You will just have to go over before your missus and hide all the red poles....
ski holidays
dorsetboy - you are right about the piste bashing. We did the red/black over to claviere when the piste was unbashed after a snow fall. I postponed my first turn for a long time and ended up having to turn on the steepest black bit!! Laughing After a couple of turns you need to head straight down as from what I recall the piste has an uphill section - watch out for uphill/flat sections on the Claviere side.

We were also in Montgenevre last Easter and experienced skiing the col du boeuf back to Montgenevre when it was "ferme" which was quite an experience. It is straightforward under normal pisted conditions. It was a pity they seemed to give up keeping the Italian/French links open last Easter.
ski holidays
Resurrecting an old post since we'll be trying to sort this out to/from Claviere from Montgenevre.

A related question... if in the Obelisque area, what is the best way to get across the southern facing slopes to the northern facing slopes? Is there a "cut-through" or do you have to walk over or ?
latest report
@ItaloSkier, From the obelisque area you ski down the lowest part of the Pharaoh to the Tremplin/Serre Thibaud lifts. Take Serre Thibaud up for the south facing slopes or Tremplin for the north facing side. Coming home you have to take Serre Thibaud and ski back down the south facing side..alternatively you can get the ski bus back to the obelisque from the Espace Partenaires in the centre of the resort.

Depending where you are staying in hameau d'obelisque you might need to take a drag lift and the chalvet gondola to get up to the pharaoh piste at the start.
latest report
@snowymum - thank you! I pulled up the OpenSnowMap.org map for Montgenevre and see exactly what you mean. We're at Anova so right by the little ESF drag lift. All looks easy for me. Have to convince the children that the last run back (if not taking the bus) is Serre Thibaud down. Looks like an easy blue but lengthy.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy