Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The fruits and follies of Nevica

Poster: A snowHead

quote="Claude B": "I bought a Nevica Bobble Hat for £4 for my trip to Alpe D'Huez last month much to my daughter's disgust. I wore it all week but I must admit it doesn't really suit me at all although there's nothing really wrong with it."

No, nothing wrong with Nevica bobble hats. Here's one which any proud daughter would buy for their beloved father. £2.49 from SportsDirect.com.

Personally, I'd want to be paid at least £249 to wear that bloody thing.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 9-03-13 9:46; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person

Very Happy This is mine, I do have a picture of me wearing it but it looks so crap on. I was done it's also down to £2.49 now!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bode Swiller wrote:
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:

Wonder just how close to passing off that is.

Not sure what you think that product might be passing off, Swiller, but I'm no fashion expert. I did find this self-adhesive German butcher's moustache:

There's lots of related items that could strongly appeal to you, Swiller, on this site:

http://www.karnival-house.co.uk/acatalog/Oktoberfest_German_Man_Fancy_Dress_Costume.html
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.

Chalet du Sommet, Val d'Isere. Class
Forget all that Sports Direct Nevica Mk2 'accessorizing'. It's the international sales phenomenon of 'Nevica 1980s/1990s' that financed a fantasy ...

King of the Montagne
http://outsidego.com/index.php/20081119468/Real-Estate/Chalet-in-the-French-Alps-/menu-id-99999999.html

Quote:
Perched on a hillside on the outskirts of town, Goldstein’s multi-million-dollar chalet overlooks it all. From the end of the driveway, which bears a sign reading "Boulevard Paul J. Goldstein," the chalet looms: a multistory, Swiss-style stone mansion with timber balconies jutting from different levels and giving the structure a fanciful, asymmetrical quality.

Quote:
The four floors house a checkerboard-tile indoor swimming pool, a wooden steam room, a movie theater outfitted with six burgundy La-Z-Boys, and quarters for three staff members, whom Goldstein employs seasonally to make his breakfast and run him to and from the ski resort.

Fab!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.

Yes, it's fashion of this class that builds fairy castles.

"VINTAGE 80/90S NEVICA CLASSIC SKI SNOWBOARD SNOW SUIT with Recco Rescue System."
Exclusive to eBay

Not this kind of tat:

Buy it now: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-80-90S-NEVICA-CLASSIC-SKI-SNOWBOARD-SNOW-SUIT-with-Recco-Rescue-System-/330898583249?pt=UK_Sporting_Goods_Skiing_Snowboarding_Clothing_LE&hash=item4d0b17aed1

Bidding at £12. Bids close in 2 hours.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.

"NEVICA 13 HOURS AGO"

It might seem like only yesterday that these fashions were all the rage but (as Google says here) it was actually only "13 hours ago".

Whitelines.com asks today "ARE THESE THE WORST FASHION CRIMES EVER COMMITTED? I've given my forthright response to that question on WTF Ski Club ...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151993267630761&set=gm.390626321040261&type=1&theater

Over to you, snowVictims(Fashion) ... are these the worst fashion crimes of all time?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I never had one of their fart-bags, but they were extremely popular at the time and didn't look that daft back then. I guess that's how fashion works. Actually I'm tempted to get me one of those just because they are now so different from the "me-too" stuff everyone sells.

I'd say that a fair amount of stuff which no one bats an eyelid at today will qualify for similar "what were they thinking" pictures in 20 or 30 years.

Alpine Sports, South Ken: I bought a ton of stuff for various outdoor sports there. Field & Trek was fine for some stuff, but that was the only shop I knew of in London with reasonable gear. It took me a long time to get across there, but there were no real alternatives. I think I bought from there an early Nevica Entrant smock which worked really well. I may actually have a photo of the outside of the shop somewhere (I took a lot of photographs).

I can't really see the value in resurrecting old brands; the whole point about fashion is that you want new, not old. The fact that your granny vaguely remembers the name "Nevica" from 1980 probably doesn't help the brand a lot today. I'd more look at it as a busted flush and start again... it'll be interesting to see if they can do better, but I'd not be investing.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:

There are lots more fun tales to be told. And I'm going to strictly stay out of trouble with this thread. Let's see how it goes.

That'll be a first.
snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nevica was OK. A step up from basic C&A gear.

It was not outrageously expensive. It did the job. Bright colours and the Nevica cut went out of fashion to replaced snowboarder-style stuff. But fashions change and come back.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Any one remember Phoenix ski wear. Man it was good... well I'm still using my salopettes 20 odd years later. Wish I could get another pair. snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
chezqui, yep, it was actually machined in the North East up near Morpeth. Gore-tex'd to death, was like skiing in a crisp packet and the cut was a little bit unflattering but had it's fans. Someone bought it (Vango I think) and moved production to the far east and that was the beginning of the end.

Similar story with Event skiwear. Taken over by Speedo and they killed it fairly quickly.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Phoenix were made in Amble out on the Northumberland coast. Started out making mountain and walking gear - I had some very good tents and sleeping bags before they started with ski gear. I am sure they made kit for the British alpine squad and also supplied a number of tour ops for a while. Karrimor bought them first I seem to remember as they had a factory shop in Amble before Karrimor were bought out. I think they were started by some of the people who were involved in Berghaus originally.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've actually got a pair of Nevica goggles, I think they cost £15 or so, and are absolutely brilliant.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As far as I know, Phoenix ended up part of the AMG Group, which also imports Rossignol as well as owning the Vango brand among others. The clothing line of phoenix ended up just being a line in gloves in recent years, and now it seems to have vanished altogether
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Cave in.
ski holidays
Goldstein is said to have had made his first billion last month due to various business deals done in secrecy. He currently is living in North London with his step son who owns a few successful nightclubs in London but looks to move to Israel where he has a mansion on a discrete island near the coast of tel aviv.. And who said taking textiles as an A-level was taking a doss subject?? Laughing
latest report
Quote:

discrete island near the coast of tel aviv

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Really? Are there many islands near the coast of Tel Aviv? Nearer than Ciprus I mean. rolling eyes
snow report
feef wrote:
As far as I know, Phoenix ended up part of the AMG Group, which also imports Rossignol as well as owning the Vango brand among others. The clothing line of phoenix ended up just being a line in gloves in recent years, and now it seems to have vanished altogether

I've got some Pheonix gloves, they are brilliant. I have been looking for a replacement pair, no wonder I can't find them. 😔
snow report
NE1, same designer and production as Pheonix is/was a brand called Dix. Can still buy them at a knock down price: http://www.climateski.com/en/Dix-Hero-Glove/m-323.aspx
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy