Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice on Zermatt for short break?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi - I am looking to go for a long weekend to Zermatt if poss, around the 2nd/3rd March. I've never been there before to stay (have been to Saas Fee a couple of times), so am not sure which operators might do short breaks. Googling so far is not proving very successful Sad

Can anyone help please? Just two of us going, looking for ideally chalet type board, but we aren't overly fussy ultimately.

Thanks Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
For a short break you will need to do it yourself, and have very deep pockets.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
^+1
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Aquavista, take twice as much money as you think you might need
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I did a short break to Zermatt a couple of years ago (DIY), and it wasn't too expensive. BUT, that was very early season (Nov) and I'm guessing the consensus here is right - it'll be pricey.

FWIW, we flew to Zurich one evening and then spent a night in a cheap hotel in Visp because we were too late for the train up the valley. Next morning we got the train up the valley and dropped our stuff off at a cheap apartment (found on Tripadvisor) straight from the 70s. Looked hilariously dated, but was actually ok. You might be able to find somewhere to stay in one of the villages down the train line, but my guess is it still won't be cheap.

Considered Cervinia instead?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Try the Matterhornblick for a hotel. It is a 4 hour train journey from Geneva, or Basle, or Zurich, pretty much. Travel days are lost to skiing therefore. This at least means you wont have to buy as many lift pass days Toofy Grin . I am going there fore the 3rd consecutive year this Saturday (to the Hotel mentioned). It keeps the cost down and it is a very good standard. You can keep the costs reasonable, but need to get a hotel willing to take less than a week. Cant help with travel companies as I've not used one for 20 years now. Zermatt is the only resort I've ever done consecutive years at. It is pretty amazing, even compared to other amzing mountain resorts. Pricy, but hotels can at least be a fair bit cheaper than France, and higher standard. The hotel mentioned does an appartment also called Chalet Ritz, where you can cater for yourself if you want.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I went on booking.com and found many hotels for the time we wanted - four nights in April.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'd second the suggestion of DIY.
It's a very pleasant train ride from Geneva airport, with a change at Visp. Takes about 3 hrs 40 mins. I think you can now do the same from Zurich. You must buy your ticket for the train in the UK though, if you don't want to get thoroughly fleeced- Here is the link http://www.swissrailways.com/produkttexte.php?passid=3 I see it is now an eye watering £92 each. We have done car hire to Zermatt from Geneva, but, with the cost of 4 day's parking at Tasch (the village you have to park at just below Zermatt) I think the train transfer is still cheaper. Trains are very frequent, and you can certainly ski virtually all day on your final day, and get the train back to Geneva in time for the 9.30pm Gatwick flight.

We have stayed in a number of hotels. For a mid priced option the Hotel Bristol is perfectly pleasant with a good breakfast. The newly renovated rooms a very nice. They do a full board option which is likely to be better value than eating out-which as everyone says, is extortionate! (But very good!!!)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Aquavista,

yep all advice so far is exactly what I'd say!

Swiss rail transfers very good and super easy right from Geneva airport- 1 change at Visp.

I have stayed at the Tannenhof with SCGB it is fine. There is also a youth hostel- it is quite near the Klein Matterhorn Lift but doesn't look to be your thing- but I ssupect you could get a double room breakfast and dinner).

Price wise- it is pricey- but still people go. At the end of April 2012 I went for a long weekend, lifts shut for 3 of the 4 days I was there- it was still good.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks to everyone for their input. It proved very difficult to find a hotel that would take us for a short stay, but we are now sorted and booked, even if paying a king's ransom for it. Can't wait to go, now need to do some research on apres-ski Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy