Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Spending a king's ransom on outdoor gear

Poster: A snowHead
Some Swedish researchers seem to think that Scandinavians spend far too much money on outdoor gear - especially ski gear. Some quotes for those who can't be bothered to read the article:
Quote:
Breivik thinks people buy far too much stuff that they don’t actually need.

“The gear is often completely superfluous with regard to the activity, but many seem to get pleasure from wearing advanced equipment and particular brands,” says Breivik.

“It’s a place where they can show off and reinforce their self-image with the help of equipment.”

And, perhaps most cutting, is this remark:
Quote:
We see that those who were rarely in the great outdoors as children and adolescents spend more on equipment as adults than those who are more used to outdoor activities

A French friend of mine learned to ski on school trips. He didn't have and couldn't afford any special gear - so he simply skied in his jeans and school coat.

Is your love of fashionable gear greater than your love of the mountains?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Jonny, I would always put my ski jolly 1st as the priority. If I could afford any form of ski attire, then that would be 2nd.

I feel that the Ski Clothing brands are pure snobbery....my opinion. My joy is just to get away and enjoy it..
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Definitely see some sense here- I think as you go out more and do more "stuff" be it skiing, climbing, cycling whatever- you seem to worry about gear less and less and just enjoy it.

That's not to say when gear is worn I don't get excited about getting cool new stuff Smile it just happens less and I'm more careful about the purchase.
I'm still wearing my first ski coat bought in summer 2005 that was heavily reduced in summer sales... Not to say I don't keep a look out for new ones though, ha!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Everyone likes toys, shinier the better. Simples.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
well there's more Norrona and Arc'teryx worn on the average London commute than is strictly necessary for that harsh alpine environment

(says he with a Patagucci shell on the back of his chair - it was cheap in a sale honest!)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Also, those who are already active outdoors tend to be active in more than one sport. I can use a lot of the same clothing for skiing, cycling, sailing and motorcycling. If I was to buy a specific set for each activity, it'd cost a fortune.

e.g...

Base layer tops : all sports

3/4 length base or mid0weight bottoms : skiing and off-road motorcycling

Body armour: motorcycling and skiing

gloves: ski gloves get used on the off-road motorcycle in winter

fleeces and mid-layers : all sports

cycling shorts : cycling and also off-road motorcycling (those seats are like planks)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If I was called Breivik I think I'd think about changing it...

Anyway - absolutely yes - the old timers who have been going out in the hills for years have 20 year old kit that does the job perfectly well. Stuck working in a city, browsing the interwebs while dreaming of mountains leads to daft purchases in my case.

stuff white people like: outdoor performance clothes
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There's kings ransom then there's FFS! http://www.oxfordski.com/luxury-chalets/ 230+ K£s for a week Shocked

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ultratravel/9840151/Chalet-N-Oberlechs-231k-a-week-chalet.html?frame=2467601
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The brits are probably just as bad or worse given how much use it will get. I guess the people that ski loads usually live in ski towns and don't have the cash to blow on the latest and greatest.

I imagine the US is probably the worst for actual skis, last seasons skis over there are practically worthless.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
People buying things for fashion shocker. Next in the news at ten, water found to be wet. Stick around for that and more including a special report from Jenny on the amazing relationship between bears and defecation in woods!

SRSLY.

The other side of the coin are the people you see completely inappropriately dressed though.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My current ski kecks cost £12. I got 3 pairs so I can save on techwash.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
clarky999 wrote:
Everyone likes toys, shinier the better. Simples.

I love you
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
meh, you've completely missed the point. The article argues that outdoor fashion has disguised itself as being a technical ncessity, and the cost of these unnecessary fashion purchases discourages participation as newcomers believe the hype and think that the gear is essential. I think he's probably right.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jonny Jones, It gets even worse with 'badge' engineering in clothing where there is no difference between high and low cost quality except the branding.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jonny Jones, no it's an issue of demographics. People with lots of disposable income will buy needless expensive stuff, it's fashion (e.g. self affirmation). It happens in all hobbies where there is cheap kit and marginally better but more expensive kit. "All the gear, no idea" is a really old saying to describe it. Norway in particular is a special snowflake in that regard because the country is amazingly well off.

Take a look at lower-middle income families in the UK and you might see something different.
snow report
Evolution

No gear, no idea
All the gear, no idea
Right gear, right idea
latest report
Mike Pow, plus the idea of what the 'right gear' is, can be very subjective. Lots of trends and fashions there too which is something the original press release mentions in regards of niche activities but also applies to changes over a longer time period. Take Alpine Climbing where 'light is safe' and lots of money is spent on getting the lightest kit that still works because that safety factor is as true on some PD snow plod as it is on TD terrain. Then you have secondary concerns like the environment where people will pay a premium for brands they perceive as more environmentally friendly (bamboo EVERYTHING!) and the romantic notion of going back to nature which crops up in everything from arguments about bolting to what kinds of activities should even be allowed to access 'nature'.

That's without mentioning the peacocking that goes on when you wear you're "look at me I'm a mountaineer" clobber on the tube, downtown or on an easy walk whilst sporting an exceptionally manicured rugged beard. Very Happy
latest report
meh wrote:
That's without mentioning the peacocking that goes on when you wear you're "look at me I'm a mountaineer" clobber on the tube, downtown or on an easy walk whilst sporting an exceptionally manicured rugged beard. Very Happy

I do chuckle at that. Some people even wear insulated ski jackets. What's wrong with a good wool coat and a brolly? It's the city for pete's sake, you're hardly going to be stuck out in the elements for hours.

Reminds me of a story (may have told this one before) of a Londoner who was invited to spend some time with friends who lived in Colorado. He was told to "bring wet weather gear." First day out on a wilderness trip, it was pissing down and they all piled out of the 4WD with the Colorado guys all pulling on their expensive Gore-Tex gear. The Londoner stepped out of the car, reached into his bag and pulled out a brolly.
latest report
Zero-G, you can literally spot the tourists here because they're wandering around downtown Reykjavik like they're on one of the glaciers which is particularly jarring with the propensity for the locals to be very chic.
ski holidays
On the other hand I part cycle to work so do not own a sensible city coat - one of my many shells, fleeces, puffys etc does duty as it's just more practical and you don't smell like damp dog after a rainshower.
latest report
Zero-G,

"I do chuckle at that. Some people even wear insulated ski jackets. What's wrong with a good wool coat and a brolly? It's the city for pete's sake, you're hardly going to be stuck out in the elements for hours."

Not tried using Arriva Trains Wales, have you? You could be stuck for hours and hours and hours
snow report
Scomber wrote:
If I was called Breivik I think I'd think about changing it...

Anyway - absolutely yes - the old timers who have been going out in the hills for years have 20 year old kit that does the job perfectly well. Stuck working in a city, browsing the interwebs while dreaming of mountains leads to daft purchases in my case.

stuff white people like: outdoor performance clothes

Love the web site, so true, actually read a bit more and it is really true.
snow report
I have been looking into making 'fashion' wear combined with technical fabrics. There'd nothing wrong with a nice wool coat, but wouldn't it be better if it had a windstopper membrane in it somewhere? That sort of thing.
snow report
feef, lots of brands do that already.

ETA: Although I think it's an expensive waste of time. My winter jacket for around town this year is which so far has stood up well to big negative temps, lots of wind, rain and snow:
http://www.ontour.nl/collection/jackets/Pointer03/
ski holidays
Because arcteryx's normal gear just ain't expensive enough: http://veilance.arcteryx.com/?EN

If your nice wool coat isn't up to whatever you're currently demanding of it, then civilisation already has a good solution for you in the form of a taxi wink
ski holidays
meh wrote:
feef, lots of brands do that already.

ETA: Although I think it's an expensive waste of time. My winter jacket for around town this year is which so far has stood up well to big negative temps, lots of wind, rain and snow:
http://www.ontour.nl/collection/jackets/Pointer03/

And, spot the manicured outdoor beard on the model.. rolling eyes
latest report
gbium, indeed, rugged beards are in this year with those hipster types.
ski holidays
I thought it was Stanton.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As if by magic:
from
http://vimeo.com/55420992

Be warned if you are female, sensible or don't think gin and tonic is a particularly wilderness oriented drink.
snow report
meh, I saw that earlier on TGR and was saving the link for when someone started getting all whiny and metrosexual wink
ski holidays
Zero-G, yer I just found it on there and was ranting at my girlfriend about it. It fits this thread perfectly. But seriously what in the shuddering Be Nice please! is going on there?
latest report
It honestly comes across as satire but the production values are so high and the product tie-ins so realistic that I am unsure...
snow report
The comments on the video and the fact commenting has been turned off make me think it can't possibly be. But I live in hope that no one can be that lacking in self-awareness and such clueless, misogynistic douches.
latest report
2 mins in, does the nasal-can't-grow-a-moustache-yet voice shut up?

OK done now. Oh my giddy aunt. Watched that through my fingers and am giggling as I type.

I realise now I have been doing it wrong my whole life. I'll stock up on blow torches and artichokes for my next trip to the wilds.

Edit: they're on twitter. Attempting to troll now.
snow conditions
Zero-G, There are very few over here who understand and can use satire. The over-melodramatic depiction of every-day mundanity is common if not all pervasive.
ski holidays
Masque wrote:
There's kings ransom then there's FFS! http://www.oxfordski.com/luxury-chalets/ 230+ K£s for a week Shocked

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ultratravel/9840151/Chalet-N-Oberlechs-231k-a-week-chalet.html?frame=2467601

FFS, even if I had the money I wouldn't, I'm surprised there's even a market for that these days. I'd also feel completely out of place! Shocked
latest report
RichardB wrote:
Masque wrote:

FFS, even if I had the money I wouldn't, I'm surprised there's even a market for that these days. I'd also feel completely out of place! Shocked

There'll always be a market for that. The sort of people that go there have so much money that even in the biggest recession, they might have a a few million wiped off their worth, but they'd still have billions left. It's like the megayachts you see in St Tropez... It really is a whole different level of existence.
ski holidays
feef, I know that there is a lot of rich people who ski but it surprised me how excessive they can go, we all ski the same mountains at the end of the day! Maybe I'm thinking too simply.
snow report
Quote:

Is your love of fashionable gear greater than your love of the mountains?

No, I can ski well enough such that others in the group don't notice the worn out Aldi / Lidl / Decathlon ski gear that I wear

To be fasionable is to follow, to follow is to be a sheep, to be a sheep is to be sexually abused by a man in wellies Twisted Evil
latest report
tangowaggon, Are they cheap unbranded wellies or Le Chameau?

http://www.wellywarehouse.co.uk/le-chameau-chasseur-leather-lined-41cm-calf-free-boot-p-1641.html
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy